Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone ripped a knob clean off (their tyre)???
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Went out for a VERY wet ride up my local woods today on my DH HT and found this when putting the bike in the van. It appears a knob had come clean off the base layer of the tyre! The cream coloured stuff is like fabric/ bonded nylon. There is no tearing or anything it just looks like the knob came ‘un-stuck’ or something.

Seen anything like it before? I haven’t seen one come off like this, normally they are torn off.

Any ideas welcome. I thought I may drop Schwalbe an email because although a year or so old they tyre was only fitted for the first time 3-rides ago.

Cheers

scaredypants

tubeless nobby nic did it to me, on its first ride out

ripped off the knob and left a 5mm square hole beneath, right through the carcass

granted, the new forest is flinty but I was still bloody pissed off

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Hmm, maybe it’s to do with their UST construction then (this is UST too).

The tyre is otherwise sound, but if this is going to happen on roots then it ain’t gonna last long!

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve done it on tyres when I used to ride trials but never on XC/DH stuff.

coatesy
    Free Member

Done it to a few mud tyres when I haven’t bothered swapping them for trail centre rides, apathy’s an expensive hobby.

deserter
    Free Member

did it to a continental x king within a couple of rides, exactly the same one knob through to the carcass

jamj1974

Done exactly that with an Intense 2.25 CC tyre. Was riding some rocky stuff in the Peaks in pre-tubeless days, when I did it. Totally turned me off these otherwise excellent tyres.

jambon
    Free Member

Maxxis LUST have a habit of doing this after much abuse. Nobby Nic USTs will do it riding to the shops and back. If the outer blisters it happens pretty easily. I small hole followed by sealant pouring into the void may be how it happens.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Hmm, pretty common then! I must just have been lucky. I will get in touch with Schwalbe as it ain’t good.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I remember years ago up at Hope cross gave a guy a zip tie he had sliced his tyre at a weird angle where it was flapping this piece of rubber with about 10 knobbies on it never seen anything like it.He was upset to say the least just payed £30 for new tyre this was about 6 years ago or more.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Must admit I’m not best pleased but it was only a £15 CRC clearance special. If it was the nobby Nic I have up front I just shelled out for I wouldn’t be best pleased!

mudshark
    Free Member

I ripped one off a Conti Verti Pro once.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

A mate rides with a Muddy Mary up front that has 4 or 5 side knobs torn clean off on either shoulder – seems they just break off when you’re really railing it…

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Hmm, not good on one point (shredding the new tyre) but I have to admit I as flying! Ha ha

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ripped a knob clean off (their tyre)???’ is closed to new replies.