Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone riding Peaslake Sunday?
  • Dunk
    Free Member

New to the Peaslake area, managed to get out on the shop ride last week but keen to explore more. Is anyone out Sunday who i could be cheeky and tag along with?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nirvana in Wescott do shop rides. Will send you some gpx for you to look at as an idea of the area. I suggest you download ViewRanger for your phone as aside from a few trails marked its useful if you get lost / disorientated. Lots of segments marked on Strave of course.

Saying all that a “guide” is always useful

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

unlikely will be watching the cricket

Dunk
    Free Member

Yeah i’ve seen a lot on strava and have a vague idea of where stuff is but it’d be good to tag along with some people a couple of time to find the really good stuff!

Hicksy
    Free Member

I can’t do Sunday I’m afraid, but could do tomorrow if that’s any good. Or one evening next week.

Dunk
    Free Member

Damn i’m busy tomorrow, potential for one evening next week though if i could get out of work in time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hicksy
    Free Member

No worries Dunk. My email address is in my profile.

PS Don’t tell the others, but I don’t even own a Santa Cruz!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP YGM of a mixed XC natural and purpose built trail route good in all weathers. Parking at Newlands Corner to avoid Peaslake / Walking Bottom log jams

Dunk
    Free Member

So went out for a bit of an explore. Managed a lovely 19km highlights were captain clunk and evian. Very good fun trails!!! Hopefully catch some of you guys on a ride out soon.

bubs

Have all the recently taped off trails on Winterfold (with accompanying Private signs) gone now then? I assumed that they would be ignored by the majority of the weekend masses but I think that they may be the first part of greater restrictions (and trail clearances).

skaifan
    Free Member

Have all the recently taped off trails on Winterfold (with accompanying Private signs) gone now then? I assumed that they would be ignored by the majority of the weekend masses but I think that they may be the first part of greater restrictions (and trail clearances).

Was up there yesterday. Looked like mr McAlistair had a bit of a chainsaw tantrum on all for nothing (newish one starting at the top of Evian) and on twix. Can still get through twix with a decent bunnyhop, but the end of it is all smashed up trees. Same with switchbacks. Didn’t notice anything else untoward, but it seems like he’s getting territorial again.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Well we only have Wiggle/UK cycling events to thank for that. They blatantly ran an event in March sometime without seeking permission from the landowners nor FoTH. They seemed to treat the area as some sort of trail centre.

The signs were put up in open view of private drives and public footpaths and they were not taken down. This was the catalyst for the closing off of certain trails around the area. Don’t blame JMcA really.

[/url]unnamed (1) by nanook1900, on Flickr[/img]

skaifan
    Free Member

Well we only have Wiggle/UK cycling events to thank for that. They blatantly ran an event in March sometime without seeking permission from the landowners nor FoTH. They seemed to treat the area as some sort of trail centre.

That won’t have helped. I take it that’s one of those rides where you pay £40 to ride a route that avoids all the good trails in an area that’s free to ride 365 days a year? Never got the point of that.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

well this time the routes took in a few of the trails around W’fold, the markers were placed right at the head of some of the trails.

skaifan
    Free Member

‘Kin ‘ell. Any reason why we can’t remove their signs if it happens again?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The signs were put up in open view of private drives and public footpaths and they were not taken down. This was the catalyst for the closing off of certain trails around the area. Don’t blame JMcA really.

I would imagine in reality, it’s nothing to do with that at all & everything to do with ‘illegal’ trails on private land & his endless chasing them down, as he simply doesn’t want riders on his land. It’s been happening for years & is an endless game of cat & mouse, not really helped by industrial scale trail building rather than the more subtle stuff that could be easily missed

The above events from my understanding, are all on bridleways with proper ROW access (hence why they are allowed to run them!), so if you’ve seen signs placed where they shouldn’t be, it’s a big likelyhood they have been moved.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding Peaslake Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.