Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone riding a repaired carbon frame?
  • stevemtb
    Free Member

No idea what to do, my road bike frame (Giant TCR advanced) cracked at the weekend. Basically took off (other option was hitting a fallen club mate) and on landing (still seated) the seat post slipped and punched through the tube where it gets narrow for wheel clearance.

Every time I speak to someone who says I should get it repaired I speak to another person who says they wouldn’t.

I’m not a light rider and I like to descend quickly. Will be off to the Alps later in the year so have to have full trust in it.

Has anyone had cf repaired and still riding it? Or anyone had it repaired and it broken again? Soooo gutted and confused…..

kilo

few people in our club have repaired cf bikes there should be a link to a well respecred firm here;

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17333

if you search tt forum cf reparirs comes up quite reguarly

onandon
    Free Member

Give Giant a call directly, they were brilliant when I spoke to them about a frame I had damaged.

enmac
    Free Member

I broke a chain stay on my Yeti 575. I repaired with a kit from Carbonology – it come with instructions. It wasn’t pretty but I rode it for 3 months with no problem – I reckon the repair was probably stronger than the original. As long as there is room and you aren’t too concerned about looks I would say you can alwasys make a repair as strong as the original – you are just adding extra layers after all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A club mate ha an once replica carbon tcr repaired – reason – he was involved in a stack up on bikes first race . He wasnt impressed his 6k bike was now scrap

Had it repaired – bikes still going strong and hes a hard rider – think about how old once tcrs are now ! 2002 iirc

stevemtb
    Free Member

As it’s the bit of the frame where it narrows to allow wheel clearance there’s not exactly a huge amount of room for extra layers to be added on. The repairer I spoke to was confident it could be done though.

Waiting to hear back from the suppliers then it’ll be a call to Giant. If it was an old bike I’d move on and buy another but it’s about 6 months old.

Thanks for the advice. Managed to get it out my mind yesterday with a spin on the mtb but gutted again this morning thinking about it 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d do it myself. (I mean I’d repair it myself, not have it done for me).

Seat tube is one of the least stressed tubes on the frame.

mcmoonter had bad warranty experience with a carbon Giant IIRC.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

At 6 months old I’d be giving Giant a call, and very politely asking what to do about it. Be truthful. Be nice. Act a bit dumb. You never know and there’s nothing to loose! 🙂

BigJohn

If you just punched the seatpost through the tube I’d certainly try a repair.

As long as there aren’t any obvious signs of long vertical cracks where the tube may have burst, and it seems it’s a very localised break it should be OK.

I’ve mended a few carbon bits and it’s easy to make the repair stronger than the original.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding a repaired carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.