Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone riding a Knolly?
  • rancid
    Free Member

Well, I started out looking at older Nomads, then at the Alpine 160, now I have spiralled out of control and have been offered a Knolly Chilcotin at a decent enough price.
    Have had a look around for posts on these and everyone seems to agree they are good bikes – anyone on here riding one? Or can tell me if there are any potential issue to look out for? They look mean as **** for starters……..

beagle
    Free Member

Had a few. Just one at the moment and built up a chilcotin recently for a mate. All been reliable, bombproof and climb really well. Lots of grip. Support was top notch too.

Nothing to look for that you wouldn’t on any other frame.

Shout if you want/need any more info. Cable routing tips/build spec etc.

rancid
    Free Member

Looking at the geometry, would you say they are slightly shorter than usual? I am on a Medium Cotic but have been offered a large knolly – on paper I reckon it will be ok, as they LOOK shorter. I will be using it for DH orientated stuff etc, uplifts.

Speeder

Always look pointlessly overcomplicated to me but they’re supposed to ride ok so who knows..

markgraylish
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Endorphin and an old D-T from around 2010. I know many many people who ride various Knollys as they’re a local company (Vancouver)
    Prior to the 2014 Endorphin, I had a welding issue on the top tube/seat tube junction of 2012 Endorphin which, apparently, wasn’t that unusual but that’s the only frame issue I’ve ever heard of. (Bear in mind that I’m 6’4″ and 200lb and am riding their xc frame hard on the best trails that BC has to offer)

You might also want to check the Knolly forum on mtbr.

Regarding size, I ride an XL,have a long back and arms and stock stem (50mm I think) but the fit is fine for me. YMMV

Regarding “pointlessly overcomplicated”…the suspension layout is designed for best standover height, something that isn’t a problem for me but I know a very small girl who chose a Chilcotin because it was the only frame with sufficient standover height (she also used to ride a Delerium with a 24” rear wheel prior to the Chilcotin…)

wrecker
    Free Member

I had an older one a few years ago. I have never had a bike descend so well before or since. I’d have to think hard about buying another for climbing though. The suspension is fine, it’s the seat angle.

jk1980
    Free Member

I have a 2014 (I think) Endorphin, whichever was the last one that was 140mm. I’d echo what’s been said, it’s very impressive descending for a relatively short travel bike. I’d buy a warden or a chicoltin in a heartbeat, the endo is just loads of fun and I’ve only heard good things about the chicoltin.

The point about the seat angle is correct, it’s a bit annoying but not so bad that you can’t take it on long rides.

Re sizing go on the reach measurement vs the reach of your current bike. I’m 6 2 on a large endorphin which I think is a touch under 450mm reach. Probably wouldn’t want it any shorter, but works well for me. Also their website is pretty good at providing height ranges per frame size.

wrecker
    Free Member

The point about the seat angle is correct, it’s a bit annoying but not so bad that you can’t take it on long rides.

I’d agree with that, it can eat miles. It’s just sub optimal for getting power down.
    I loved my old one, it really was an absolute animal on descents.

beagle
    Free Member

‘Old one’ being the nugget here. My first gen endo was an aquired taste for long climbs due to the seat tube angle. Totally doesn’t feel that way with the later models/newer geo.

My Warden is an absolute beast of a climber for its DH/AM abilities.

Did have one or two quality issues way back before they switched production facilities. I was treated incredibly well with my gen 1 endo which was significantly well out warranty.

Awesome company to deal with!!

tor5
    Free Member

Given everyone else has got it nailed – all that remains is gratuitous pictures….

rancid
    Free Member

Well thanks for all the comments – I bought the Knolly this morning, it is a Large but there doesn’t feel like there is much in it between that and my Medium Cotic BFE in terms of size when riding. (5’10 and about 32 inseam)
    Must say, climbs impressively well for a burly bike. I have the Talas, so dropped to 120 on steep climbs which made it easier I expect, but still, not a bad climber at all.
    Descends good, seems to get better the worse the terrain gets. Needs a technical and tough descent I expect to truly bring it to life. Just strolls through smooth (ish) and relatively non technical descents. Can’t say I have a lot to compare it too. Only ridden my hardtail.
    The Knolly will be kept for the “big mountain adventures” / DH stuff etc.

Cheers fellas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding a Knolly?’ is closed to new replies.