Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone ride up the A24 for their commute to work?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

From anywhere north of Leatherhead. If so what’s it like?

I’m trying to find a good way of making part of my commute from Horsham to Parsons Green a bike ride. Happy to do around 15 miles each way, but want it to be relatively safe – i.e. the A3 is just a non-starter! It’s bad enough driving it.

Another option is to ride to Dorking via the back roads but I’m not sure if I can take the bike on the train to Wimbledon at 7am.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep. If I’m riding all the way I join at Epsom, if driving half it’s Leatherhead, and go all the way from into the City.

It’s fine, the bit between Ewell and Merton is the least pleasant, lots of side turnings and drivers not paying attention, but it’s perfectly manageable.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Funny but when I posted I had a feeling you might be the person to respond!

Just to clarify though – Epsom comes after Leatherhead doesn’t it? What do you do, drive with the bike and park and then ride?

Cheezpleez

Theoretically, you’re only allowed to take folders on the train at that time. You might get away with it but the train’s always packed by the time it gets to Wimbledon. You won’t be popular.

If you’re not in a rush, going up over Boxhill, then Headley and Epsom Downs to Epsom is much nicer

njee20
    Free Member

Just to clarify though – Epsom comes after Leatherhead doesn’t it? What do you do, drive with the bike and park and then ride?

Yes! I either drive to Bookham – where there’s a little free car park in the village centre – and ride (22 miles), or ride all the way (45 miles), train home, then train in and ride home the next day.

Short route
    Long route

If you’re not in a rush, going up over Boxhill, then Headley and Epsom Downs to Epsom is much nicer

The Leatherhead – Epsom bit (which that avoids) is absolutely fine though, and that is a pretty big detour.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep the train would be a no go with a bike well before Wimbledon.

To being with at least, Box Hill would be too much of a ride for me to manage before work.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Shine a light Nick! You really do a 45 mile ride before work? I knew you were fit but that’s pretty impressive stuff! (now connected the Nick I see on Strava with the Njee I see on here!)

There is a place you can park in Leatherhead as well that is still currently free, right next to the train station as well. I’m sure the residents hate people doing it and it looks like that’s going to end soon anyway.

Thanks for your help as well Nick. Greatly appreciated.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s interesting, I ride past Leatherhead station, didn’t know about that.

You really do a 45 mile ride before work?

I try to! Only once a week at most, and to be honest I’ve not done it for about 6 weeks, I don’t like doing it if I’ve got meetings first thing, nice to not have the time pressure. Plus I need another day where I can ride home. I did it far more in winter stupidly, was looking forward to doing it all summer!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride up the A24 for their commute to work?’ is closed to new replies.