Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ride the lanes and tracks around North Bristol??
  • iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

As the weather turns grim I would like to leave the road bike for most of my evening rides and take to the the small lanes/tracks and bridleways around North Bristol. My hope is that I can zoom around on my cx bike without too much interaction with my motorist friends.

I did a little bit last year so know a few nice bits and am going to explore to try to find a few more (tame) offroad sections. But my knowledge is still prety poor. If anyone knows the area and would be kind enough to show me any good bits they know it would be great to meet up to ride and eat cake.

Cheers

scruff
    Free Member

How far North? Loads once past Wotton under Edge.

FuzzyWuzzy

If talking south of Thornbury then I couldn’t find much myself, just short sections of bridleway (mostly over-grown) with lots of road between. As scruff said, around Wotton-under-Edge there’s quite a bit more, worth checking out the course that HOTS uses to (although some isn’t rideable outside of HOTS as I recall).

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Thanks. Unfortunately I am Frenchay way so it is quite a mission to get out to WoE on a week day. But it is doable on a weekend.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never found much to the immediate North. I’d be tempted to head east towards Pucklechurch. There’s a bit more that way and it’ll be fairly easy to get to via the ring road cycle path of the Bristol/Bath Railway path.

Milkie
    Free Member

You need to get out the OS map (streetmap.co.uk) and make your own route. I was able to make a route from Yate > Frenchay using bridleways and country lanes.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Yeah I think I will head East a bit- as you say there is a bit more stuff looking at the map.
    I was going to make a route, and I will prob end up doing that, but often some of the bridleways turn out to be unrideable, and there are sometimes things not obvious on a map that people have found, so was hoping someone could show me (I am also a lazy sod)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride the lanes and tracks around North Bristol??’ is closed to new replies.