Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone ride 'paths' on OS maps?
  • dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

DTP – seems like you are no well armed to go an have a chat will your neighbour, Mr Macall……!! Good luck. Let us know how it went!

Don’t know his name but the only time I’ve had hassle from a land owner is on the path leading from Abinger Hammer up to Raikes Farm in the direction of Abinger Common. I know it’s a footpath but it’s used by said owner to drive 4×4’s and farm machinery up and down so feel/felt no issue about riding it. It’s very wide, good visibility etc. and is more of a wide track than path. Gives me no ‘right’ accepted. Not a friendly chap and not one for a conversation I found. Where might I encounter Mr Macall?

rewski
    Free Member

It infuriates me that we can’t ride on Ashdown Forest, the damage issue is a total non starter, it’s just selfish landowners who want to keep it for horseriding. It would be a perfect alternative for us Southerners.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Infamous (by all accounts) landowner at WF bordering on The H (I am sure you understand this!!)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ride where you like, when you like.

Treat everyone you meet along the way with courtesy and respect (unless they demonstrate that they are worthy of neither).

Read and understand all you need to about the legal aspects of “trespass”, so that you know where you stand and can argue when appropriate.

rewski
    Free Member

At Ashown Forest I’ve actually been chucked off by the ranger, I didn’t protest, not sure what would happen if I did, not much I imagine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here’s a cheeky trail dilemma………..

In the woods there’s a footpath (FC fire road, not a path, at no point is it narrower than 7 meters or so with big drainage channels either side).

Off said path there are several paths marked with signs saying walkers only, no horse riders or cycles.

Being cheeky we went exploring last week and found what can only be some long abandoned DH runs (wayy to twisty to be a footpath), no footprints or tyre marks in evidence and on the OS maps it doesnt appear at all.

So, seeing as the walkers have been given them then abandoned them, is it beyond the cheeky ethos to ride them again?

miketually
    Free Member

So then, if there’s no bylaws in place and the land owner cannot demonstrate and of the above points, then you’re allowed to ride there.

Almost; the land owner doesn’t have to demonstrate anything. The landowner (or their ‘agent’) can ask you to leave for no reason at all.

lowey

Yes. All the time. And quite frankly, I dont give a toss.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i used to ride wherever i wanted, being polite and friendly to everyone i met and never had any bother but now i worry that some stranger in a far off place will say nasty things at me on internet forums so now i just stay in

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride 'paths' on OS maps?’ is closed to new replies.