Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone ride in Cropton Forest?
  • andywarner
    Free Member

I only live about 5 miles away but have never explored it cos I always go up on the moors or over to Dalby. Any good trails up there?

didmatt
    Free Member

Never explored in Cropton either for exactly the same reasons. Would be interesting to know if there was though..

I also don't live that far away 😉

andywarner
    Free Member

hmmm. maybe i'll go up in the morning and have a scout about. there was a feature on parts of it in singletrack the other month so must be some little gems in there.

MtbCol
    Free Member

I ride there, and am currently in between building a nice descent up in the top end of the forest.
    A lot of the good stuff is hidden but there's plenty of trails to ride in a "see where it goes" attitude.
    A couple of things to look out for – Cropton is a very wet forest – you'll find a lot of boggy areas that are difficult to get over. The other thing to look out for is ticks. Last summer I managed to pick up at least 1 tick on every ride I did in the forest and had to resort to riding in my downhill pants most of the time.

andywarner
    Free Member

MTBCol – cheers for the advice. That's great. I might wait till the Spring before I head up there if it's as boggy as all that. It sounds like a case of riding fireroads till somthing that looks promising pops up. Been meaning to go up there for years but just never get round to it.

roughneck
    Free Member

Great riding, down the hill and to rosedale on some great singletrack and then back up to cropton forest and get lost.

roughneck
    Free Member

We start at cropton village and head down the side of the hill to the valley bottom and left off the main road to a small climb to join the moors and head to rosedale on some of the best singletrack you’ll find. Come out at the pub on chimney bank then down the hill, turn right at the bottom and along the road up the hill and turn left up a hard field climb and in to the woods, still not made it all the way up that climb to the top of the woods. Along the trail to the fire road and turn left up the fire road and turn right after a steady climb on to a footpath/bridle way on to the moors with a wood on your left. Get to the road and turn left down the hill and up in to the farm, just after the farm turn left next to some farm buildings and back up the moor. I’ve got lost in my head now.
    You still have some good moors riding until you get into cropton forest and get lost again.
    Head over to high muffles and to Flamborough rigg cottage and down to the main road and turn right back to cropton. Theres some good stuff in the woods from Flamborough rigg down.

andywarner
    Free Member

cheers roughneck. i'll have to get up there soon. i missed out – one day over the summer i rode up to rosedale from kirby on the road – sounds like i should have got on that bridleway to the white horse but was unsure where it started.

roughneck
    Free Member

I'll try and find the map.
    The pace boys use it, as adrian carter lives in cropton.

andywarner
    Free Member

ah, roughneck, i see. can't be bad if they use it. i didn't realise he lived there – thought he was in edstone or sinnington, although that's hardly a million miles away. I've got an OS map so i'll have a study and try to plot your directions onto it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride in Cropton Forest?’ is closed to new replies.