Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Anyone ride an SX Trail as their everyday do-everything bike?
  • jimmy

How are they as a bike for general trail riding rather than diet DH-lite? In comparison to a Heckler if possible…

Chase
    Free Member

The long termer that MBUK have weighs about 38lb. That, to me is too much for general trail riding. My last FS weighed 35lb and that was a slog. My new one is 32lb and much better as a ‘do it all and have a go at a bit more bike’. It’s still no XC whippet, but I still like the confidence that a few stronger parts offer.

ianpv
    Free Member

Heckler is much more suitable as a do everything bike. SXs are great mini DH bikes but a bit much for day to day trailriding.

xc-steve
    Free Member

My brother Rides an 2005/6 Enduro which was same angles and everything other than Frame material and Air Shock, he seems to ride that fine on XC rides. Not sure what weight it is sure you could get it under 30lbs. Reckon an SX trail could do the same with a TI spring. As for anything over 30lbs not being suitable for XC their just too weak!

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Mates of mine did, but have since moved on to more ‘trail’ machines. Bit of a slog I think

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are ways in which you could use an SX as an all day trail bike, but it would work best with the older models, i.e. the 2006-2008 models and it would need you to have two sets of wheels and probably two shocks, one coil, one air.

I run my 2006 model like this and it works quite well but it still weighs 31lbs in its lightest guise. The most significant weight saving comes from running Roval Traverse wheels, XT cranks, DHX air shock and light(ish) tyres. The fork is a coil Lyrik so a little heavier but more versatile.

In heavier guise, you could run a coil shock and a heavy duty wheelset and it will be a great DH bike but it will weight around 35-37lbs, which will be very heavy unless you’re super fit.

heihei

I’m keen to get one of the 08 models as a play bike – the slack angles, low bb, and plushness of 7″ coil travel appeal. I’m not sure it’ll get used much as my trail bike given I also have a 5-Spot in the shed, instead being brought out for occaisional jump sessions, and to help overcome “the fear” on particular drops, jumps, and gaps!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

over 30lb is too heavy? pahh, my hardtail (and only bike) is over that, and there are only one or two bits that could be considdered overkill

Seapost because the EA70 bent.
    Stem becasue it was cheep and expensive light ones just weren’t stiff. Rear tire because a 2.4 hollyroller is fast despite weighting in at a metric ton.
    Might go back to tubeless if my riding picks up again.

acjim
    Free Member

They certainly look good in the play / confidence booster role – would love one if I had the space / cash!

fresherjohn
    Free Member

I’ve just made that exact transition from and 04 heckler which weighed 33lbs to a 08 sx trail which also weighs 33lbs. Its got a coil shock, coil lyriks and light dh parts so no comprimise has been made. Air forks could drop a pound, but equally replacing the 2.25 single ply advantages for 2.5 dual ply high rollers will add one.
    I’m taking it for its first ride tonight so will report back on its ups and downs.

rep341
    Free Member

I had an 08 Sx Trail with 2.35 Hi Rollers Soft Compound, VAn 36s and a twin ring, had to up the chainring as was spinning pout too much otherwise. Changed forks to 66s and that was that. Thought it was great till i tried a 140mm Lapierre, I always wondered why I was soo slow on the SX, get a Heckler, or Intense SS, or Lapierre Spicy? Orange Alpine 160?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I had an 06 SX Trail up until November 08, certainly one of the most (if not THE most) enjoyable bike I’ve ever owned. During the time I owned the SX Trail there was a 15 month period where my other bike was a Demo 8 so the Sx Trail was my ‘XC’ bike! Had it built to about 35-36lbs and over the 18 months or so just got used to riding it like that as an ‘every day’ bike.

My riding has changed quite drastically in the past year or so though (much more xc and enduro’s) and now have a 25lb 120mm full sus and 28lbs 150mm full sus. I have to admit that I find the new bikes are much more suitable as every day bikes.

Dango
    Free Member

I think it would be fine if you are riding solo or in a group with similar bikes, you’ll struggle if the group are on XC bikes though.

The build will effect it as well, go tubeless with lighter wheels and tyres and you’ll see a big change in how the bike rolls

I have an 08 SX and an 08 Enduro and have owned 04/5 enduros and 06 S-works enduro before.

My SX was at 35lb with Vans and DHX coil, have just put the Vans on the Enduro and it weighs a smidge over 30lbs and makes for a good XC/AM syle fun bike:

And yesterday put Totems on the SX and it weighs 35.75lb, I am yet to ride it though:

If you’re super worried about weight, the Enduro might be a better choice?
    —————————————————————————-
    I originally bought the SX as my bike for all but found it didn’t suit and bought the enduro later in a sale – so that’s probably the answer you were looking for?

lyons
    Free Member

It will be fun on difficult, fast downhills. And thats it.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Dango, how would you rate the ’06 s-works enduro compared to the ’08 enduro? Is the 08 as capable DH or more of an XC bike?

A mate has the ’08 SX trail 2 with 66s on (tall at 595mm A to C height). It is quite hard work on ‘general’ riding but it comes alive on techy rooty rocky downhills. Out in the alps it would be a fantastic bike 😀

jam-bo

used to, but know I’ve got an orange five instead. It’s faster nearly everywhere except the dh track. I’ve got a dh bike for that.

Dango
    Free Member

The 06 was a peach and I always rode mediums, I started getting back pain so switched to large when I bought another in late 08, which is probably my size at a smidge under 6’2″

I wouldnt DH either bike, but then it depends on what you are calling DH, Ie I wouldn’t want to rag it in the Alps, but some would.

Marz have really tall lowers generally and I wouldnt want any of their recent forks <08 due to everyone who I know who has bought them is having problems (07-08) 09’s might be better but thats reflected in the warrenty and the RRP

The E150 forks on the 08 Enduros are pretty rubbish though, unreliable, odd size axle, tall lowers (about 15mm more than the fox) look gash and are crap for turning on tight switchbacks

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I didn’t really mean ‘proper’ DH riding, more downhill sections on ‘normal’ riding.

I’ve had (swingarm gone now) an 06 enduro in medium, and always wondered if the newer version is as good. The spesh forks/shocks got a slating but hopefully are better now.

In terms of handling would you compare the 06 and 08 enduros as similar?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I did glentress red, innerleithen xc, afan, cwmcarn (in 1hr 15 – faster than on my HT), fort bill world champ course, laggan, golspie, learnie red rock, and some others on my 40lb marin quake… used it as my do-it-all bike. didn’t have any problems with it. got round golspie without even changing down to granny ring at the front.
    Built up a HT with some spare parts just because I could and used that for winter local xc riding.
    now ended up with an 07 trance for xc/4x and the quake for dh

catnash
    Free Member

I have a similar history of Enduros to Dango. 04 S-works enduro,06 S-works enduro, 7 SL Pro, 08 S-works SL with a few other bikes in between aka gemini heckler 575.

Have had two recent enduros with the e150 fork, the first 07 one had the cartridges replaced early on and once you follow an easy strip-down and grease lower fork (have a look on mtbr.com for the kelstr slick honey service guide) or get Neil at Tf Tuned to tune it up if you want) maintenence every 50 hours or so it becomes one of the stiffest plushest fork out there. It’s a lot easier to strip down than fox. It was better than a 09 36 Talas that I had on my heckler. The e150 is a stiff fork tracks brilliantly through rock gardens and that’s the advantage of the double crown fork. Definately don’t have any problems with very tight switchbacks up or down. Oh and 5 year warranty on the fork to original owners.

The 06 Enduro was like a mini DH bike, originally had Pikes up front but went on to Vanilla’s 36. I made it as light as possible for Brechfa before the Trails were developed which the bike would have shone on the tabletops and berms, The Dirt guy’s consider it one of the fastest bikes they took on their test-track and they said at the time if they had more daylight left they would have beaten the time on an intense M3.

I have found the SL as fast as the 06 but allows me to go for a lot longer, talking of 3-4 hours longer.

http://www.nsmb.com/2926-trevor-hansen-bike-check
    http://www.nsmb.com/2864-berrecloths-rides
    http://www.nsmb.com/2849-berrecloth-in-africa

Dango
    Free Member

I agree with a lot of what you are saying catnash but don’t really rate many air forks, I’m a heavier rider and prefer coils.
    I’d say the newer Enduros are quite similar to the 06 s-works, the comp I ride is made of M5 alloy as was the 06 s-works, both four-bar etc, but stripping a fork every 50 hours is something I cant be arsed with and the 5 year warranty is only given if you can prove that you have have it serviced every year through a qualified spesh service centre, via TF as an example http://www.tftunedshox.com/service/specialized.aspx would cost around £450 with carriage over that period.

Shame that Marz forks aren’t better and less tall, they give three years on 09 forks without any proof of maintenance, I have a number of bikes and don’t ride them enough each to warrant paying that amount of money for 5 simple services.

The switchbacks on a couple of trails near me are too tight for these forks, but for a lighter ridder they are probably a very good fork.

Mine blew overnight in the garage and I only found out as I was loading the bike onto the rack the next morning to set off from Surrey to the Lakes, I can do without issues like that.

grumm
    Free Member

My regular riding buddy rides an SX Trail with Ti coil shock and Fox 36s as his everyday bike. We do XC stuff in the Lakes like High Street, Walna Scar, Grziedale etc and it’s not a problem – I ride a Pitch – we are not particularly fast uphill I suppose but can get up most things, then try and ride the descents as fast as possible.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Used to have an 05 model for about a year and it was great on the downs but horrible to pedal or ride for long periods. Get a 5 spot Jim, you know you want to 😉

Dango
    Free Member

I had a ti spring and air forks on the ’06

catnash
    Free Member

Yeah, I know what you mean with coil. The Vanilla 36RC’s were buttery smooth.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride an SX Trail as their everyday do-everything bike?’ is closed to new replies.