Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone ride a Vespa?
  • howarthp

I’m thinking of getting one for commuting on those days I don’t ride in.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’d rather punch myself in the balls.
    On a more serious note, I found a proper 125 motorbike easier/nicer to ride.

qwerty
    Free Member

I did, 250GTS into central London from suburbs, great fun annoying al the GS1200 boys away from the lights, very practical, didn’t inspire confidence through corners in the wet, if I did it again I’d get a DRZ400SM .

iolo
    Free Member

Get a 125 geared bike. Suzki Van Van is a lot of fun and much better to commute on.

konabunny
    Free Member

I had a ET4 125 or maybe 150cc – whatever it was, it wasn’t enough. I liked it, it seemed well made (despite being trashed by precious guy).having ridden “full size” bikes after for commuting – I’d buy a big wheel, big engine scooter for commuting again. Tools for the job…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Obviously a ‘real biker’ there. 🙄

I’m also a real biker. I probably have done more miles on motorbikes in my time than most, recentty I was doing 12,000 miles plus a year commuting on one (NC700X) I’ve take 3 other bikes to 30,000+ miles too.
    I’ve also had a selection of scooters: Gilera VXR180, Peugeot Elystar 150, Vespa GT200, Piaggio X10 350. I probably covered in excess of 60,000 miles between those 4 bikes.
    The best, by a mile, was the Vespa.
    Why?
    Looks fantastic. I prefer the ‘Italian look’ to the British ‘Mod look”
    They are a proper monocoque design rather than plastic screwed to a steel trellis, so they are SOLID, and they ride very very well. The handling is quick, like a scooter should be, but stable and predictable.
    The engine is a joy, quiet, smooth and punchy. They are a very refined and classy ride. Faster than any restricted 125.
    Weather protection is great. Unless it’s absolutely throwing it down you don’t need waterproof trousers and boots at all. Just a jacket is enough.
    Practicality wipes the floor with most motorbikes. You don’t need to dress like a storm trooper to ride one, and they look ‘right’ when wearing an open face lid
    Storage space under the seat, most have a top box too, one which looks good, not like a melted spaceship on a pylon attached to your bike.
    Traffic: Absolutely demolishes any heavy traffic. No gears to worry about, so no stalling, just power when you need it. And remember they’re slimmer than a motorbike because there’s nothing between your legs.
    The only downside is that they get out of their depth on motorways and easy dual carriageways. Fine on 60mph A roads though.
    75mpg average for about 14,000 miles if I recall correctly. The 250 is more powerful but fuel injected and should average near 85mpg.
    Tyres are £50 each, servicing is cheap or easy DIY.
    The Piaggio-Vespas are the best by a mile for reliability and spares availability too. Engines good for well over 50,000 miles.
    There is no reason at all not to get one other than attitude.
    I think as a nippy runaround they are waaaaaay better and cooler than a motorbike. Get one.

Denis99
    Free Member

I used to own a Vespa GTS 300, echo what peterpoddy says, really good commuter .

Simple to ride in traffic, good weather protection, very calming ride experience.

See if you can get a demo ride, I think you will be surprised.

Northwind

I’ve never owned one but I used to look after a mate’s PX125, it was lovely, fun to ride, but had the build quality of an on one. On the plus side, it was usually easy to nail whatever bit had fallen off back on, and parts were cheap. I suppose it’s a bit like a harley, people like buying things for their pxs and working on them so they don’t see it as a downside that you need to buy things for them and work on them pretty much all the time. Other vespas are available but I figure if you’re starting out “should I buy a vespa” you’ve got your eyes on them for looks/style?

As far as practicality- the storage is great and the low down weight makes them really nippy. Scoots are great in town, though personally I do not appreciate tiny wheels so much. AS far as kit… I always wore exactly the same kit for it as I did the big bike because you’re not really any less likely to come off or get knocked off, sure you look the part in an open face and parka but you’ll regret it if it meets tarmac. I didn’t choose my kit to look good! And I don’t mind that you look a fanny in full motorbike jousting kit on a scoot, it’s better than looking cool in an ambulance.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, I owned a PX for 2 years 4 years ago whilst in Florence, great machine, shite in the hills on the gravel slippy roads though 😆

Then I bought a GT200 (white) 3 years ago, great thing to ride into Town on, but I only rode it when it was nice weather and during the late spring/summer/early autumn. Only bought it as a giggle, proved a real giggle too.
    I rode it home occasionally 115miles down the A3 to the sea, honestly it was ace. Bit rubbish if it was too windy but that was about it.

Sold it to a work colleague late last year as i hadn’t used it for 6mths.

howarthp

Thanks all. My dream is a 1200GS but only need to do 15 miles a day whe I’m not cycling. I’m off to check one out tomorrow

howarthp

As in a Vespa, not a GS

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s individual preference of course but I’d much rather ride a 125cc scooter than a 125cc motorbike for commuting – frantically mashing up and down narrowly spaced gears between lights doesn’t sound fun to me.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

This^

Most definitely not this as they are highly restricted from factory and heavy and generally shite having had one as my first bike plus the gear box bloody ‘ell was clunky.

if I did it again I’d get a DRZ400SM

If you have a license for a 250 then get a 250 motorbike of some description at least. It will grip better, actually get going and generally feel safer to ride than a 125, Yamaha YBR 250 would be a good bet, very comfortable ime.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Oh and I had a Gilera scooter once, made by Piaggio group who make Vespa etc and they are completely shoddy and breakdown so wouldn’t be reliable for your commutes at all, especially in the winter coming months and that is from bitter experience I speaketh.

nickb

I’ve had a couple of Vespas – most recently a lovely GTS300, pic below prior to top box fitted. Great bikes. Better option for commuting than a motorbike (which I’ve also had) as they are easier to weave through stationary traffic, you don’t need leathers and the storage with a top-box plus under seat storage is great.

The GTS300 was stolen off my drive a few months ago – I haven’t replaced it through the summer and I’ve cycled more often instead. I’ll see if that resolve holds for the winter too…

Nick

Northwind

hopeychondriact – Member

Oh and I had a Gilera scooter once, made by Piaggio group who make Vespa etc and they are completely shoddy and breakdown so wouldn’t be reliable for your commutes at all, especially in the winter coming months and that is from bitter experience I speaketh.

Mate of mine had a DNA, it stands for Did Not Arrive. It was like the electrical components were designed for some parallel dimension

badnewz
    Free Member

I used to have a 125 vespa, I did a commute of about five miles, on good roads. I also loved taking it out into the countryside for days out.
    But as others have said, be very careful in the wet, oh and crosswinds can be a major hazard too.

mike_p
    Free Member

I had an ET50. Don’t, whatever you do, be tempted to get one of them “because I can ride it on my car license”. Mainly because it will be a small, slow, unreliable POS like mine. But also if you do CBT, ride a 125cc for a bit on L-plates, do the full test and then get something with a proper engine you’ll be a much better, safer rider!

I’ve got a Yamaha YP250R Xmax now, it’s vastly superior to any Vespa in just about every respect.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yeap, YP250R XMAX was and still is far superior to any Vespa or any other scooter model on the market apart from the TMAX but then again the TMAX weighs a ton and costs like £9k’ish new and that is mad for a scooter in anyone’s book.

If you buy the XMAX second hand and it’s the old one, make sure it has had the recall work done on the chassis and the alternator.
    I remember having to charge on optimate the battery every week or two to keep it from going flat but then again, I live in a very hilly valley at the time.
    Once I test ridden the XMAX 250, I shot back within about 3 mins to say yuup I’ll take it as it was so smooth and fast for what it was.
    Just don’t forget it won’t grip like a motorbike and hug the ground like one nor will it brake like one 😳 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a Vespa?’ is closed to new replies.