Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone ride a scooter?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

All set for Oz and was planning on riding to work on a new MTB but in their infinate wisdom, 3 weeks before I start, they’ve moved me to another hospital, which is 30km inland. As much as I love riding, I don’t fancy riding 60km a day in Ozzie heat and working 5 shifts a week, days/lates or nights!

So I’m thinking a little scooter will do the trick, but I have no idea about them. Have a full UK driving license, so would I be able to get a little 50cc (perhaps 100cc) chicken-chaser? Just a twist n go type thing with a seat big enough for 2 so me and the missus can blast (if that’s the right word?) up the coast at weekends.

alwyn
    Free Member

Just get a small (400cc) motorbike. You can ride them easily and you have a bit of power which is nice. Scooter = death.

Creg

I wouldnt bother with a 50cc scooter.

A 125cc one would be much better for the longer distance.

Consider a motorbike too. CG125/YBR125/GS125 are all fairly reliable and should be cheap-ish to buy.

Im not sure what the bike market is like over in Australia, athough I seem to remember a mate of mine coming back from travelling there and saying that there were hardy any scooters around at all, it was mostly big motorbikes.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ideally Id love a bike, but I don’t have the license. Hence I can only really have a little scooter.

I land on the 21st and start work on the 3rd. Won’t have spare time to take a CBT or whatever, in order to ride a “proper” bike. Plus, the missus should be able to ride the scooter around town too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scooters are great for around town – tho anything more than a 50cc one needs the same license as a motorbike.

Far better than a motorbike for commuting.

gusamc
    Free Member

Can’t help with licence dets – suggest you check.

re transport I’d suggest understanding road and journey first.

ie scooters are SLOW -ie a 40mph vehicile where the average speed is 55mph is a liability/traffic jam/nightmare and small wheels are crap with rough roads/potholes.

To be honest 30k on a small engine (esp 2 up sounds crap), I’d say 250cc.
    As a me personal preference I like trails bikes.

Your base costs won’t change (well ok from a scooter to a harley they might but from a scooter to a 250 – not that much – and with 250 you can sensibly do 30k 2up easy (and if it’s a trail bike you can explore local shrubbery etc etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My 100cc scooter would do 65 mph and cruise at 55 mph easily. They are not that bad with potholes and stuff.

Have you ridden one?

Advantages – weather protection / luggage space built in and easy to ride.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Creg – they have a big “bikie” community there.

re: GS125. My Dad had one of those years ago. Silver with blue flashes. Are they still around or is it a much more modern version?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

a 125 street / crosser type bike then? Makes sense to get one that “can” go off road a bit I suppose.

TBH I probs won’t be travelling 60km/day 2up, just me going to and from work.

Creg

I thought they had brought out a new version of the GS125 but I must have been thinking of something else. Theres still the old ones kicking around though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a scooter?’ is closed to new replies.