• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone ride a cx / road bike with tight standover?
  • Garry_Lager

Eying up a caadx 56 at the moment – test ridden and it feels pretty good. Slight issue is the top tube is horizontal, so standover is a bit tight. Not banging ma baws tight, but stood over with feet flat on the ground, it’s quite snug.

I like the bike a lot – do you think the standover height would be an issue if I’m happy with the ride? Be good to hear if anyone rides a bike with a similar setup.
    Other consideration is that I’ve only test-ridden it on the street – I wouldn’t be racing this bike but I would be taking it on the trails. So prob none of the cx running and shouldering stuff, where a sack-top tube collision could easily be envisaged, but plenty of riding over the rocky stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

You don’t want a top tube all up in your balls when going off road. Maybe try the size down, with a 10mm longer stem, for a bit more clearance?

Garry_Lager

Thks for the sizing chart Jamie – I should try the 54 but there’s nowt in stock round our way. Annoying when you’re in must-buy-bike mode.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

Yes, all my CX bikes have had relatively snug clearances, all the way back to the mid 90s when I had my first CX frame built for me. I’m 5’8″ and ride 54.5cm TT CX bikes, and 56.5cm TT road bikes.
    I’ve ridden CX bikes for 10’s of thousands of miles since then, and I can think on the toes of both hands how many times I’ve had a problem with the top tube. I’ve ridden cx bikes at trail centres, in MTB races, all round the North Downs, 3 Peaks, raced London and Central league, toured in the UK, Wales and Alps, and been to training camps with them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a cx / road bike with tight standover?’ is closed to new replies.