Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone ride a Carbon Whippet SS?
  • flashes
    Free Member

Tempted, anyone got one? What components? How is it to ride??

wwaswas

ride my 456 SS if that’s any help, standard SS kit on it.

really pleased with it.

only issue related to SS that I had was fitting caliper inside seats stays on the slidey dropout thing but I think Whippets have a fixed dropout anyway?

flashes
    Free Member

I have an early On One SS and love it but am tempted to go modern…

flashes
    Free Member

What no one, that’s interesting……….

Del

mate at work bought one for his missus, geared mind, really nice little frame. have on-one released the swapout droputs for them yet? basically inbred geometry aren’t they? in which case i’d expect fairly well proven…
    😀

Flashy
    Free Member

Yes SS drop outs available…… I am interested to find out what BB chainset peeps run for SS and how it compared to the steel frame….(he said trying to justify yet another bike)

simon1975

Have On-one produced the chaintug to work on that frame with the DMR dropouts yet? Chap on their stand at Mayhem said no.

You’ll need a BB92 bottom bracket – any HT2 chainset should be OK for SS? And then I’ve been led to believe that it can be a right pain to get the bearings out, which might need doing quite often if you ride it a lot in the muck.

And it takes a silly headset too 😉

Otherwise I think it’ll be great 🙂

Rod

I have one set up SS. Nice light build and it feels proper nippy. Only done a couple of short rides on it so far, but I like it (used to ride an Inbred EBB SS for years).

The chaintug thing is a bit of a pain – I ended up just filing away an On-One chaintug so that it would fit.

I’ll probably run it 1×10 for general duties when a direct mount front guide is available (or if I get hold of the E-thirteen one),

andyl
    Free Member

they do have 2 sets of drop outs listed now – one the original for £15 each and one the ‘new’ CNC ones for £20 each and also come in red.

I can’t see why the geared silver CNC ones are £5 more than the original ones but maybe they are different but the SS ones appear to have slots machined in them.

TBH I think On One have been pretty poor with the drop outs. They were originally £10 each side but now £15 and £20 – that is a stupid price IMO as you are looking at £30-40 for 2 chunks of metal. Yes replaceable hangers are £10-15 but they are stupid too.

I also think they have completely missed a trick and should have made the SS ones with a built in tensioner that screws in from the front to tension the wheel. tbh you could very easily add this by drilling through the drop out and threading it or using a nut.

PS I think they missed an even bigger trick that they could have made a drop out that moves the caliper with the wheel like you get on some frames.

simon1975

And they should certainly offer customers buying frames the option to have slotted versions if they want them instead of verticals. The slotted ones could have also incorporated a mech hanger…

Flashy
    Free Member

Slotted dropouts without all the power bulges, frnt changer holes (clutter) and def no mech hanger should be an option in BLACK (sorry rant over)

andyl
    Free Member

If you call them they will swap the vertical for horizontal I’m sure.

They did make a red horizontal with hanger like on the outgoing Inbred and Scandal. Was on the pics of the Ti Pompino they had. Would kind of do away with the need for swapouts in a way I guess! Except for people who run gears and prefer vertical dropouts which are easier I guess.

As for the bulges – it costs far too much to change the composite tooling to do a SS version. I guess they could have just made a convention seat tube but nevermind…I use gears 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a Carbon Whippet SS?’ is closed to new replies.