Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • anyone ridden with 'The White Room' in the Alps before?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m wondering about the kind of riding we’ll be doing for one of their late season ‘backcountry’ weeks.
    I’m deliberating tyre/wheel choices as i know there will be a fair chunk of riding uphill out of the ski-lift season. From the site, they mention a bit of climbing which is no problem but i’m not sure about doing it on a set of DH weight wheels.

I’ve ridden Les Arc area before, and used dual ply DH tyres, with DH weight rims. This was all lift accessed however, so no real problem.

This time, i’m wondering about using my mavic 321 ‘enduro’ wheels with slightly lighter tyres.

Will i die trying to ride up with DH wheels on? It’s a 35lbs Spesh Enduro Evo, with 1×10 and a hope 40t. So, not much gearing going spare either.

whaddayareckon?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

when you going?

Tracey

We have just got back from a week with them, not the back country though. We had two S Works Enduros fitted with Roval Traverse EL wheels and Butcher Control/Purgatory Control tyres with normal inner tubes and set at 30psi, both 9 1/2 stone riders. Kevin on a S Works Stumpjumper with Specialized Enduro Pro tyres on American Classic All Mountain set at 30psi and a tad over 13 stone rider. No puncture or tyre damage whilst there and only one puncture for the entire trip.

lardman
    Free Member

12th September!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The stuff not in Les Arcs is 100x better, did some stuff on a heavy heckler but not the full on back country stuff. Best bet is just mail and ask Stevo (or wait till he comes in here)

lardman
    Free Member

I think i’m leaning toward leaving the Butcher SX’s on the ‘enduro’ wheels, and taking a couple of spare Dual PLy minions to change to if needed. Did you use the lift system at all Tracey? or just vehicle uplifts?

lardman
    Free Member

also, was it dry last week tracey?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Drive out and take both !

Based on my Destination X experience with TA which I imagine could be similar I would say enduro wheels and tyres. I used my dual ply HRs and they weren’t necessary as the natural trails weren’t very rocky.

Tracey

We used the lifts and the vans to get around with. We combined it with two weeks in Verbier before. Weather for all three weeks was better than we expected and apart from 2 days in Verbier and 1 with the White Room we biked in shorts and short sleeved tops.

Just in the process of sorting out all repairs and replacements now.

lardman
    Free Member

we’re getting the Eurostar to Bourg St Maurice, so if i can squeeze another wheel in the bikebag i will take a heavier rear wheel set-up too. Looks like from peoples views, i’ll stick with the mid-weight set-up and see how it goes.

As you might guess from my username, 18st of me sometimes needs strong wheels.

Milkie
    Free Member

Fist time I went I took a 100mm Hardtail and didn’t die, but I bloody tried! I expect your enduro wheels will be fine. I think I’m right in saying it will be van uplifts with “a wee bit of climbing” as Stevo would say. 😉

As per their website, spare brake pads are a must, last year some were using them at the rate of a set a day.

Just get yourself ready for endless epic Singletrack. I’ll be there the week before 6th September, unsure what we are doing for the 2nd week yet..

jambalaya
    Free Member

As you might guess from my username, 18st of me sometimes needs strong wheels.

Don’t weigh yourself after you come back, having been skiing with them the food is excellent and you’re not going to come back lighter !

IMO you bust wheels on square rocks and jumping and you shouldn’t have too much of an issue with White Room on natural trails.

maxtorque

How “fit” are you (no, that’s not a chat up line!!!)

If you’re fit, and like to go fast on the downs, i’d take the penalty of the heavier wheels/tyres and accept you’re gonna puff a bit on the ups. if you don’t mind going a bit more carefully on the downs, and want easier going on the ups, take some lighter wheels/tyres!

TBH, most of the riding TWR do isn’t that hard on wheels/tyres imo if you have decent technique and good line choice. If you like to hammer and smash your way through things without un-weighting at all, well, having more robust wheels/tyres is going to be an advantage 😉

maxtorque

PS. I’ll just leave these here to get you “in the mood”

😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lardman, how much is the train fare return to Bourg?

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve always run single ply High Rollers and then High Roller II’s with the EXO thingymabob. Works a treat. Will be doing so in a few weeks as well. Pow! Hurry up the 30th.

lardman
    Free Member

@maxtorque
    I’m a reasonable level of fitness and have good technique… BUT, when facing those downhills i have been know to turn into a loon. I dont really like to hit the booters tho’, so mostly wheels-on-ground.

@nobeer….
    COst me about £230 return + £50 return guaranteed booking of the bike on our train from St Pancras to Paris. (for complete peace of mind) Bikes go in our sleeper compartment from Paris to Bourg (apparently, but we’ll see for sure when we do it)

We fancied a change, and this journey maximises the night for travelling, therefore increasing time in resort.

There are size limits on the bikes, but not weight, as we’ll be having to lift them, so we can pack more than in a plane.

ojom
    Free Member

Had an ace time and a very memorable experience.

We spent the week ‘dropping in’ and ‘suprise cockbag’ing.

Then we messed with the Scrabble set before coming home.

Sorry Steve…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

coogan – Member

I’ve always run single ply High Rollers and then High Roller II’s with the EXO thingymabob. Works a treat. Will be doing so in a few weeks as well. Pow! Hurry up the 30th.

You mean next week

coogan
    Free Member

Indeed I did. Just checking your alert.

coogan
    Free Member

Had an ace time and a very memorable experience.

We spent the week ‘dropping in’ and ‘suprise cockbag’ing.

Then we messed with the Scrabble set before coming home.

Sorry Steve…

Just figured out who this is. I near wet myself over the Scrabble incident.

Northwind

I’ve never done the backcountry weeks, but just about to do my third “classic singletrack”- White Rooms are ace. We’ve done a backcountry day which I assume is kind of similiar- fair amount of climbing but with a lot of support from the vans too to take the strain off. Was quite hard work but I didn’t mind dragging around downhill tyres. Was a brilliant day tbh.

On that note,

lardman – Member

I think i’m leaning toward leaving the Butcher SX’s on the ‘enduro’ wheels,

I used an SX and a DH last year, tubeless, not a puncture all week… I found the Butchers not at their best on the very dry/scrabbly stuff we spent a lot of time riding though, the rubber’s not the softest, but good for everything else. I think they prefer ground with a bit of damp tying it together but then we were in dustbowl August. Trying Highroller USTs this year.

321s seem pretty suitable to me… I killed a #enduro Fulcrum rim last year, but my Flows were fine the year before.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m going on the 30th to Sept 6th!
    Don’t really get on with HR’s so was thinking of sticking some Hans Dampfs on. I’n taking a GT Distortion.
    What do all think?

lardman
    Free Member

@Northwind
    thanks for the tips. I’m gonna run my UST DHr minions 2.5’s on the 321’s i think. Might punish me on the climbs, but i’m there for the descents and dont want to compromise them.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m there now. 2.35 minion f dual plys. No punctures all week (so far). The tubeless guys have had a few. I would agree that the trails are not severe wheel wreckers.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’m also there now, running Clutch SX 2.3s tubed, no punctures as yet either (though today’s the last day, so still time..!). Really dragging though, but grippy.

lardman
    Free Member

@stuart and Idiotdog……
    Thanks for the ‘on the ground’ reporting. Useful info.
    Much Rain/mud there?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@lardman – you on facebook, if so link to their page they post regular pictures and updates. Looks like its a little overcast and damp but not too bad. Its been a very wet season.

shifter
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden in rain at all during this amazing week. No punctures with DH tubes but have replaced 3 spokes, one brake and have a poorly fork. New bike for next year then 😉

wallop

What have you done with the colour in that photo? Does Stevo know you’ve given him a purple helmet? 😆

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

It has been pretty much sunny all week and nearly all the trails are dry.

Sad to be going home. It’s been ace.

maxtorque

wallop

What have you done with the colour in that photo? Does Stevo know you’ve given him a purple helmet?

Stevo very nearly gave himself a purple helmet with a rather ambitious 5 foot drop into an tidy OTB followed by a quick bounce and subsequent run down the side of mountain earlier in the week 😉

wallop

Pah, that just sounds like White Room Parcours, like what Pat was doing the other week 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden with 'The White Room' in the Alps before?’ is closed to new replies.