Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Picos de Europa in Spain or is it really for walking?
  • jhw
    Free Member

I am enticed by the fact that it’s one of the few places in Europe where there is a chance you could come across bears…

If you’ve ridden it – can you recommend a guide (either on paper or with a pulse?)

heihei

Did a walking holiday there a few years back and thought at the time it would make a great biking destination. We walked up and down this, and spent most of the way down wishing I was on the bike!!!

18bikes

We went as a family a couple of times several years ago, we stayed in various small villages but did the decent from Fuente De on both trips. If you get there for the first cable car they will take you and bikes up, then you get an all day decent (almost). Well worth going, but be prepared for some road riding between off road sections, but you get some massive rocky decents with nobody on them. Email if you want more suggestions, I can put you in touch with my dad who acted as our guide after much research, he’s more likely to remember what we did and where as I have a memory like a sieve.

I remember a particular switchback section where al 3 of us were boiling water from camelbacks off discs (old split caliper Hope minis with 160mm rotors) at almost every corner. Great fun and I’d love to go back

Not related to biking but they have great cheeses and cider if that tickles your fancy

Matt

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve been two or three times. One of my favourie biking destinations. I’ve never done the cable-car, I’ve always pedalled up. It’s a long, slow ride up from La Hermida at about 80 metres above sea level to the Casetón de Ándara mountain refuge at 1725 metres 😥 but a quick 40 minutes back down. 8) Be aware that a lot of the high trails are snowed up til mid June. Here’s a link to a Spanish site (in English) that has a lot of off road routes in Northern Spain, including some of the classics in the Picos…

http://cantabriaenbici.es/index-en.html#Rutas_BTT

sidyid
    Free Member

Walked and cycled the Picos, excellent for both.

mogrim

Did this race this year, will do it again next: http://www.diezmildelsoplao.com/

Very much a XC race, nothing technical about it, but good fun nonetheless.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I was out there for a fortnight this summer,I did’nt take the mountain bike but was on my XT600 and did some trail riding & hiking.
    There’s a route from Espinama to Sotres which I saw a few mountainbikes on,also as has been mentioned if you get the first cablecar form Fuente’de you can take the bike up.
    Here’s a couple of pictures from the Espinama/Sotres track;

It’s like this up in the Picos;

Next time I go I’ll be taking the mountainbike

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Wow – I want to go more information please – gpx anyone 🙂

jhw
    Free Member

Wow these are some great photos/tips – thanks all. I’ll really read around and get back on here with any questions.

sidyid
    Free Member

Great pics

woodsman
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the bears on the Picos almost mythical, but don’t let that put you off, it is a fantastic place to visit. I would say there isn’t a great deal of singletrack compared to the Alps or southern Spain, but you will enjoy it, especially if you are looking for more than the riding experience. One of the most unspoilt places I’ve visited. I went on a guided bike trip, the riding was a little tame, but that could be down to the guide and other people on the trip. I’d go back without hesitation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden the Picos de Europa in Spain or is it really for walking?’ is closed to new replies.