Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Gotama, Exo ok if you’re light but given the choice DH and no punctures better!

Sharkattack, I too run 165mm cranks. Other mechanisms are to add or reduce volume spacers and pressure to the shock to manage the support point but give the desired response.
    In reality I think you will just intuitively begin to reduce strikes.

Regarding the ‘slow’ front, that is usually a case of getting used to driving the front. Try lowering the bars 5-10mm and see how that feels. That helped initially for me and over time, as I found the weighting becoming both natural and fun, I’ve raised my bars back to previous levels, if not higher with the 29 front wheel.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Thought I’d post a little comment on running a coil on the g13. I got a van Rc super cheap from Mojo and had two days riding on it over the weekend.

Bottom line is it’s great. Super plush and a ton of grip on loose shale and gravel with a much more supple feel over rocks and chop. Sometimes it felt with the air shock that at lower speeds the rear end would get caught up on stuff and slow me down. None of that either the coil. I rode it on the enduro trails in Grizedale and did walna scar descent. Got a pr down there 48th on Strava out of 1,300. Pretty chuffed with that as I wasn’t trying too hard and messed some of the switchbacks up on the top half.
    On the Saturday I got a few pr’s on climbs in and around the forest. That’s probably due to being fitter but there’s no more bob than with the air shock in open. The only hindrance is that bike weight is now 35.6 lbs haha. I’m hard on bikes so it’s built up quite tough.

Chainline
    Free Member

wow that must be tough! Likely the RC adds at least 1.5lb with a steel spring mind.

I always had trouble with spring weights on coils due to my relatively light weight. CCDB was terrible for me. BOS Stoy was sweet though,

rollsroyce
    Free Member

It’s the tyres that add most of the bulk. 2.5 wt dhf and a 2.4 minion ss in double down. Gone through so many rear tyres by snake biting the bead I’ll suffer the weight.
    I’m right at the top end of spring weight. 600lbs. But it’s spot on. Just need to find an sls spring now to drop a bit of weight and bling it up. 😉
    Mojo had some at 66 quid but can’t get in touch with them now. Guess it’s as they’re moving? I emailed Paul S but no reply as yet.

Chainline
    Free Member

Paul and CP are just getting set up in the new place, moved everything, now getting organised. should be mostly up and running next week.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

My mates got his longer g16 frame up for sale thought I’d share it here in case anyone’s looking for one.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2271696/

blakec
    Free Member

So bit of an update on mine.

Was going really loving it. then had a crash where the rear just slid out no warning and so fast I hit the deck breaking a few ribs. Now feel nervous every time the back slides.

So with confidence on it is a bit low but bought some new rubber to try and change that. Some dhf 2.5 and Dhr 2.4 . Went out but the bike felt really high and a bit unstable. So thinking about it I measured the Bb height and found that it had gained 12mm with the new tyres. I didn’t think I would notice 12mm increase in height but there you go. So ordered some offset bushes to try and lower it hopefully they will come through this week and we can try again.

honourablegeorge

That’s odd… what rims are you using?

blakec
    Free Member

Dt Swiss ex471 25mm I should add that I was running well worn 2.3 wide before.

honourablegeorge

That might be a factor – the “WT” 2.5/2.4 Maxxis are intended for 30-35mm rims, so your narrower rims might be changing their profile causing the extra height. Surprised that it would be that dramatic a change, though, 12mm seems a lot, the wear is part of it I guess

chiefgrooveguru

So thinking about it I measured the Bb height and found that it had gained 12mm with the new tyres.

Did you measure it before or were you comparing the current measurement to geometry charts?

Gotama
    Free Member

Is anyone running the ‘official’ Mojo/Geometron DHX2 coil on their G13? Mine was very good in standard guise when riding Molini last weekend but given its going to be a holiday/ bike park trip bike I’m tempted by the coil with the travel pushed to 148mm and also lifting the fork travel to match.

sharkattack

Is no one going to start a Geometron Owners Facebook group or something? Then we can move all our tech questions, pictures, experiences and whatever over there?

Every other brand has got one. I can’t handle the responsibility of starting it!

Oh, and this weekend I had my first uplift days. BPW on Saturday and FOD on Sunday. Both good, bike felt mint. I’m not going to miss my DH bike which was a concern. Not having to push up every little incline was a huge bonus. Big hits and drops are just not an issue and I’ve got so much more forward momentum than I had on the big bike. I was the weak link, running out of steam on longer runs.

I do think I’ve gone a little small and light on the tyres and I should have bought a bigger cassette. All stuff I’ll sort out soon.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Since I’ve put the standard length van coil shock on my g13 it’s got that bottomless feel to it. Not really sure 148mm travel would be necessary unless seriously going big. Rough stone pitching and cut up slabs in the lakes are hoovered up and it’s still got loads of pop and play to it. Got me thinking maybe a 36 is needed up front.

Chainline
    Free Member

Three have gone out in the last week Gotama so someone has..

Sharkattack, I’ll have a word with CP this week. The mtbr forum thread gets used for that purpose a lot, as does this one.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I’ve had one bolted to my bike for the last month and love it. I’ve clipped a few pedals as it sits lower in its travel. Absolutely love it and makes the bike feel like a DH bike.

Chainline
    Free Member

boom

sofaking
    Free Member
    Chainline
    Free Member

Sofaking Don’t know why I didn’t realise that since I had already liked it and contributed 😳

Might get Pau lto check the phone No.

tall_martin

Hi,

I have (rather shonkily) fitted a bottle cage to my xl Geometron.

I have a bottle cage which allows where the bolts attach to move. I thought I could get it to attach to both of the down tube cable guide bosses but they are too far apart. So the cage is attached via one boss and a zip tie bodge.

Feels fine, but a second set of zip ties will have to be added.

blakec
    Free Member

Further update

The offset bushes arrived and I have now installed them Bb height before installation was 363mm after is 352mm. When I have time plan to put the old tyres back on and measure again. Bike felt better more planted no longer felt like riding on stilts though this maybe a placebo effect.

Not a 100% on the new head angle was to muddy and slippy to get a proper feel. though this maybe a placebo effect.

For reference Mojo g16 160mm running 29 wheels.

Wookster

Blake how long have you had the bike mate?

I’m intrested in the issue youve had with the back end getting a bit squirrelly. Was it the first time you’d ridden it in bad mud or wet?

I’m not digging your riding at all I’m just interested if with so much weight over the front now the back can get loose on the Bike without giving you any signals it’s in its way to full “widow maker” ( to quote Chainline!!) .

Good news it feels better though mate nothing worse than one of those out of nowhere stacks, totally screws your head for a while.

Chainline
    Free Member

I was trying to figure out the height then I went back and saw the tyre change.

Mine is 350mm with 2 offsets but only with 170mm.

BlakeC are you running 155mm 216 shock in the 222 setting? I get 350mm (approx) BB in that config with no bushes and a 2.35 MM front with 2.4 Morso rear on 30mm internal rims.

That’s my preferred config.

blakec
    Free Member

Wookster

About 3 months. Initial thought was to keep the same tyres as the old bike. To learn the characteristics of the new bike while having something familiar.

The crash was on south down chalk on the fire road going from one wheel track to the other. It probably was it first ride on wet chalk where it was properly wet rather than just damp. You could be right in I haven’t adjust my style to the new weight distribution.

Chainline

Yes running the 216 shock in the 222 position.

I’m going to put the old tyres on again and remeasure the BB might be my rims are to narrow for my tyre choice.

Chainline
    Free Member

blakec 350mm is good, you can alwys adapt the dynamic sag with volume spacers and damping to give you the right height, but 350 with two offsets will give some angle compromise if already in the 222.

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline

Unfortunately I am already at max psi and spacers due to weight.

Wookster

South Downs chalk is a shit regardless of what tyre or bike you’re on I have a hang up about deep ruts from a stack in the Downs chalk roads!!

Shandy
    Free Member

Chainline what are your thoughts on the 40s on a 170mm 29er? There seems to be a bit of a delay on the parts for the 36s which has given me too much time to think. From what I remember you’re running a 29 wheel in the 650 40s?

Chainline
    Free Member

I was running a 40 with a 29 front. Have swopped to the ebike chassis for testing purposes and am about to start testing a couple of new products….
    So have a set of 40’s I need to sell.

40’s are dreamy. Best fork I’ve ever used, full stop. The extra weight I never noticed (400g in reality) The sensitivity is stunning. Loads of room with a Shorty front. enough room with a MM 2.35.
    The caveat being if you live in a muddy area the arch clearance is restricted.
    Also the 51mm offset is less good on a 27.5 in my opinion below 61deg. This is not an issue on a std GeoMetron with a 29 wheel.

Shandy
    Free Member

I live in Ireland which is definitely a muddy area. I had assumed Fox had a 29er 40 out now but it doesn’t look like it – I’d be put off by clearance issues, I hardly ever take the D-Fender off my 36s.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Would any owners describe theirs as playful? Is it more speed and steamroller? I’ve been reading the thread for a while and get the impression that they climb better than expected and descend fantastically but is it all about speed or is there a bit of character. I did loose track a bit over the variations and mods though, so it’s a broad stroke impression.

Shandy
    Free Member

You really need to try one, set up for you.

Chainline
    Free Member

YoKaiser. That also depends how big you are. If you size down, to ‘recommended’ and have the suspension set up playful, then it can be playful. Sizing down doesn’t mean it’s small and there is no compromise on angles.

For example the NotSoLong that I showed on here is my daughters bike/small persons recommended bike.
    600mm ETT, 350mm ST but 465mm reach. Thats longer than my Helius of 2010. When I ride that it feels like a Bronson to pedal but an XL hightower out the saddle in terms of reach but I’d describe that as crazy playful.

So kind of what Shandy said. Especially in terms of size if ‘playful’ is an important factor trying is key.
    I can easily ride the Long/S and it feels very small to move about but compared to other mainstream equivalent sizes is rather long on paper.

Shandy
    Free Member

I think some people get on with longer chainstays and some don’t. I know a lot of people find 430mm ‘playful’ but for me the bike is better balanced and more fun with longer chainstays. That’s one of the reasons I would always say to demo one if somebody was unsure.

honourablegeorge

Shandy – Member
    I live in Ireland

That’s three in the country that I know of, then. We’re only a few short of an owner’s club over here. 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, some stuff to mull over.

sharkattack

Anyone local to Sheffield is welcome to try my Longest G16. I try to get out and about most Sundays.

It’s still in it’s standard out of the box set up. No messing with chainstays or bushings or anglesets yet.

Would any owners describe theirs as playful?

It depends what playful means. It’s certainly not a joyless, XC style, exercise bike. My idea of playing is crashing into the roughest stuff I can find and hitting jumps. For that stuff, so far, it seems perfect.

I’ve got it set up quite progressive so it doesn’t sit too low in the travel and it has plenty of pop in tight berms and switchbacks. So far I’m not missing my hardtail or my DH bike so I’ve successfully replaced two bikes with one which was the original plan.

Chainline
    Free Member

Just to note changing chainstay length requires a new insert for those that may not realise.

tall_martin

A nicer picture of mine 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Any of you that have e-mailed Mojo direct not had a response? I assumed they might be busy with some of the stuff going on but did think I’d get a reply. Despite looking at many many other bikes I keep coming back here….

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.