Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Interesting gotama. I’ve got to say this is my concern

thepodge
    Free Member

I think that’s why a few have been asking about shorter travel versions

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 160f/150r 29er geometron, and this is something that worried me. Yes, it is overkill for a lot of the Surrey hills, but not in a way to hold you back. I find it fine on the more mellow trails, as long as your pushing on. I find the bike a bit uninspiring when coasting along, it covers the ground quickly and nicely, it’s just a bit, meh. As soon as you start too push, it comes alive, and is amazing. I’ve found it doesn’t really matter on the trail, as long as your trying to go fast, it’s simple brilliant.

catvet
    Free Member

Gotama

That IS quite a change!!

Hope you enjoy it

Chainline
    Free Member

The podge, that is the shorter travel version!

Gotama, have you thought making the rear even more progressive to limit travel to 100-100mm and doing the same at the front with 140mm travel but progressivity limiting to 120mm?
    You’ll never make a GeoMetron twitchy of course, it goes against the basis of design.
    I’m with uselesshippy on the mild trail thing but we’re all different, if being on the edge of control as opposed to the edge of grip but in control is your thing then the GeoMetron may not be the bike. Even on flat trails you can go into corners far too fast and drift it or just slide the back about, it’s just less likely to go full widow maker on you

catvet
    Free Member

IChainline
    I love the line “” go full widow maker!!”

In fact on the isle of Lefkas in Greece there is a most excellent trail of the same name!!

All best
    H

Chainline
    Free Member

Catvet , only a figure of speech, not a slight on other bikes

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just really giving the Geometron some thought, most likely the G13 130/140mm version. I’m 6ft2 with short legs and long torso/arms. Can’t quite decide how long to go.

Even the ‘smallest’ G13 would have a reach figure similar to my current ‘large’ transition…..

Anyone give me some feedback either on your height and what size you went for or how you decided what length to go for?

Chainline
    Free Member

Groundskeeperwilly you will want at least a Longest.
    An XL would be the automatic size choice based on height and I’d recommend trying both but Ongest would work well,

I ride a Longest at 5’11”. A former singletrack rster also rides one at 5’8″ but that is stretching it and ideally he’d prefer a lower ST.
    Another friend is happy on an XL at 6′

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks Chainline, Longest was my assumption. I’m sure I saw some pics of Longest or XL’s in here somewhere that I can trawl back to!

singlespeedstu

Mrs stu’s Longer G16 is final here.
    Had a couple of rides on it so far and really likes it.
    Given her confidence to ride a couple of features she’s always shied away from. 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yc5MVm]Geometron G16 Longer.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

sharkattack

If you order a G16 with fork and shock without doing the £200 demo day, do you get off the shelf suspension? Or can you still get a specific set up for the kind of riding you intend to do? Obviously, just as a starting point for further refinement but not starting from scratch with production suspension.

In the past I’ve been pretty disappointed with the Fox stuff on new bikes until they’ve been to Mojo to be made more supportive.

singlespeedstu

I bought a frame, shock and fork and they’ve helped me with setup and re valved my fork.
    Didn’t do a test day as such but did get to try one out with Paul.
    The service I’ve received so far has been just brilliant.
    nothing seems too much trouble for them when it comes to getting the bike right for you.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I’d echo what Stu said. Paul and Mojo are excellent to deal with.

They’ve even offered recently for me to drop in and fine tune my suspension settings.

Best service I hVe had when buying a bike!

Wookster

What stem lenght are people running on these?

howdoo
    Free Member

Majority seem to be using 32 – 40mm. My demo had a hope 35mm stem from memory.

Wookster

Thanks Howdoo. I thought that was the case, but couldn’t find the info on this mahoosive post!!

Chainline
    Free Member

30-35mm stem typically, occassionally up to 40mm

That looks lovely Stu, seen it on Instabang. Super glad she gets the confidence. Exactly what has happened with my daughter.

And yes, buying any combination beyond just a frame gets you the Mojo tune of your choice for the suspendy parts and they will continue to help with setup as and when you need it (within reason of course!)

Chainline
    Free Member

By within reason I mean you might not expect free revalving and rebuilds two years down the line but tuning advice and diagnosis if you’re having setup issues yes.

sharkattack

I just had a very expensive email exchange with Paul. Might have a new arrival soon.

Until then…

Wookster

Awesome! SharkAttack I’m green with envy!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Might have a new arrival soon

You can’t get pregnant by email 😀

Go on, what exactly have you ordered?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m still dreading the email from steveh saying he’s selling his.

sharkattack

G16 Longest. Frame, fork, shock and transfer post. In shiny raw alloy.

I still have to send him my particulars to have the bouncy bits correctly tuned but it’s bought and paid for.

I’ve been riding mountain bikes for 20 years and I’ve never had a proper, all new, custom build. If I hadn’t accidentally crash landed back in the bike industry last year then I couldn’t afford any of it so I’m gonna grab it while I can.

Oh arse! I forgot to ask if they had any of those fancy Kashima top caps in stock…

Chainline
    Free Member

excellent.

steveh

podge – dodgy hamstring so not ridden the longer yet, it’ll come soon 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

Good lady wife tested the daughters NotSoLong at the weekend. loved it. She’s 5′ tall. Felt very confident, especially over the front. First time I’ve seen her brave enough to properly commit to the front in loose corners.
    Length was never mentioned.

It’s been a while since she has ridden due to injury.

She then went on her current bike (Knolly Warden( which is pretty on trend and not so short at that end of the spectrum as a Small (580mm ETT, 408mm reach approx). Feedback was it felt kinda high and she was much less confident over the front and felt less stable going into corners. This was rapidly followed by doe eyes and the request to get the wallet out..

This is both good and bad. The good bit is the NotSoLong is clearly good for someone of 5′. Target size is from 4’10 or so up to 5’5″.
    The bad is obviously regarding the wallet.

Looks like I’ll be putting a minty Warden up for sale soon..

LAT

The good bit is the NotSoLong is clearly good for someone of 5′

That is interesting. What length of dropper post was fitted and what was the saddle height? Do you hav a picture you could post of the bike as it was setup for your wife?

Thanks

Chainline
    Free Member

I do LAT, 150mm dropper fitted with 1.5″ of exposed post. As mentioned I designed it to be able to work with people from 4’10 with a 100mm dropper.

Running 155mm cranks here (we can also source 150mm from a certain well known British brand)

From ground height is 92cm
    From centre of pedal crank 73cm – 76cm (to front of saddle – to centre of saddle intersect with centre of seatpost i.e. longest measurement)

Seatpost has 6cm to top of collar, about 3.75cm to bottom of collar (LEV, fairly tall collar compared to say a Transfer)

If you want more specifics just PM me, I have the drawings etc.

[/url]IMG_1263 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Wife,

Daughter (5’2″)
    [/url]IMG_1094 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Good friend based in Hebden (5’2″)
    [/url]IMG_1207 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Saddle up
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/W2cp5R]IMG_1088[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

sharkattack

Well, here we go….

So glad I went for raw instead of black. I love black bikes but this is so shiny in the flesh and it shows all the details.
    I’m not one to gush about bikes but now that I’ve got it, I’m pretty excited about it. It’s a beautiful bit of machinery and it’s already got about 20 different sets of finger prints all over it. All those big, fat welds and machined bits had everyone touching, poking and rubbing it before I could get it stashed.

That’s it for now. A big box of Hope goodies should land tomorrow and it’ll be bike shaped tomorrow night. I might have to wait for pay day for bars, stem, saddle, drivetrain etc…

I’ve been riding a steel hardtail for 4 years I am literally gagging to smash through some rock gardens.

singlespeedstu

Looks great that.
    You’re going to love it.

LAT

@chainline

Many thanks for pics and measurements.

tall_martin

Hi all,

I’ve bought myself an extra longest g13 frame! It’s all built but I have couple of questions for the collective wisdom.

It’s a raw frame and arrived lovely and shiny. After building it it has started to discolour. Any hints on how to keep it shiny?

It came without a shock so I’ve bought a Cane Creek double barrel air climb switch. Has anyone used one on a geometron any Base tunes you would care to share?

Cheers all!

jes
    Free Member

Using a DB air without the switch on an Ion 16 GPI, and using the settings off their Web site for the Ion 16, seems good so far, just added 1-2 click on the low speed compression to aid peddling from memory.

singlespeedstu

Any hints on how to keep it shiny?

They come with a scouring pad/floor cleaning pad type thing.
    Just give it a rough up with this every once in a while as they’re not meant to be shiny as such. More a dull rough finish.

tall_martin

Thanks and thanks.

Mine was second hand, so no cleaning pad included. Would one of the green kitchen pads be OK?

Cheers

Martin

sharkattack

Mine is brand new and didn’t come with any cleaning products. I wasn’t expecting any. I bought raw because I was thinking if it looks like crap in a years time I’ll pay for a decent paint job.

Would one of the green kitchen pads be OK?

No! I learned this lesson as a toung man when I destroyed an Azonic Shorty stem. I’m still upset by that.

Gotama
    Free Member

Martin – I suspect yours has been buffed like mad to get it ready for sale. You’ll never keep it that way so I’d just let it dull slightly. Different parts of the frame will look slightly different shades of alu, some shinier, others duller for want of a better way of describing it. That said, by discolour what do you mean, its not going green is it?!

But mine did come with the dark red scouring pad. Sharkattack – you’ve missed out 😀

Oh and a tip is to put some of the rubber 3M tape you use for quietening down chainstays under the cable clamps on the downtube. It stops the cables moving and rubbing the bare alu.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

tall_martin – it want the one off eBay last week was it?

tall_martin

Thanks! I’ll avoid the green pads then 🙂

It’s not going green. Just not super shiny. I have a cannondale Road frame i thought was raw, clearly it’s just painted silver.

I’ve got some 3m helicopter tape comming and I was planning on using that to avoid cable rub. I do love a quiet bike so I might give the rubber tape ago.

Yep, off ebay last week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.