Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

BIGMAN, KU H? – dodgy typing on phone. should have said as much..

bigmagoo – Chris is only just 6’1″ the XXL is upsizing considerably relative to Chris’s size. As ever he is seeing the effect, pushing the boundary to see what too much or too big looks like, is it faster, is it slower etc.

alheginbottom – yes thats what I’m saying except for

The BB height isn’t quite as low as the original Mojo special 29er, but in my opinion it works better at 350mm.

How does it feel. It’s personal. It’s a great 29er. If you make the changes on the front you can then experiment with a 27.5 rear and just use one bush in the shock. That set up feels very close to a std 27.5 180mm GeoMetron but with a slightly different steering feel and initiation (I like it)

The 29er is slightly harder work to manoeuvre than the 27.5 version in my opinion, no surprise there, it’s an individual view as to whether it is better or not. I’d borrow a 29er rear wheel to suit if you can or choose a cheap one initially to see. swop between that and 27.5 rear back to back. changing the wheel and the one bush takes less than 5mins total if you have a cassette on the wheel. slightly long er if not but not a long job.
    Best done on a single trail you know so the differences are obvious. Basically the hybrid turns tighter, more naturally with less effort than the full 29.

BIGMAN, it’s hard to say its less reach as the angleset also changes the relationship with the front wheel and how you drive it.

you can set up the bikes one size apart to a very similar cockpit with either a reach adjust headset/stem and bar roll, hence my Longest has the same cockpit as my previous longer, just the bike itself is longer.
    You could size down, set the cockpit up to be very close and buy the longer chainstay chip if you wished..

blakec
    Free Member

Looks like nicolai want to make the choice even harder and have just released the g15. Which is remarkable similar to the bike I have just built.

http://www.nicolai-bicycles.com/shop/bike/ion-g15-techline.html

sharkattack

If anyone wants to watch a really dull video, here is someone using computers to tell you how good a Geometron is at pedalling…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDoUX7-ThEc[/video]

bigmagoo
    Free Member

blakec , did you get your xxl built , I would love to hear your thoughts .

Chainline
    Free Member

blakeC – much to CP and my annoyance…..

The G15 they have release is extremely close, other than 10mm shorter travel, to the Mojo G16 with 29er wheels except for a lower BB in low and it’s steeper. In high it’s almost a carbon copy of the Mojo G16 BB drop but with a (again without discussing) a steeper head angle, narrower BB, less tyre clearance, narrower bearings with the requisite impact on the bottom end and the necessary boost crankset.

There is simply no need for yet another model….not enough differentiation, the G13 was/is distinct… back to same old Nicolai in some ways… The model range is far too big for a small company with too much overlap. <bangs head against brick wall.

The G15 also of course has less travel than the Custom G13 with DHX2 Mojo built and will cost much more.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers for the video sharkattack, very interesting

bigmagoo
    Free Member

So, phoned today to order a frame……. No stock…….

singlespeedstu

Hoping that the crank and bb arrive for this so I can collect it before the weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X2418X]Amanda's Geometron Almost Done.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Chainline
    Free Member

Sweet. I do so love mine 🙂
    Hope crank or different?

alheginbotham
    Free Member

Thanks chainline, if I have new lowers fitted (29) and reset height and service at same time, how long in time to reset back to 180mm from 160 mm ive never adjusted or had forks apart tbh but I’m mechanical minded. Thanks

tall_martin

The new nicoli e bike being shown at euro bike

To keep costs down, Nicolai have developed an adjustable system called the ‘Mutator’ to change suspension travel, wheel size, and geometry. There are four setups possible that mirror Nicolai’s existing GXX range. The G13 is a 130mm 29er, the G16 a 160mm 27.5″, and there will be a G19 available which will be a 200mm travel e-downhill bike.

[url=https://m.pinkbike.com/news/nicolais-eboxx-monster-eurobike-2017.html]pink bike link[/url]

So if they built this into a non e bike frame would it.be possible to have two forks,two shocks and have a dh bike and a trail.bike in one?

Chainline
    Free Member

tall martin, kinda, but tgh thats exactly what you get with a GeoMetron. just swop to 175mm rear and put 40’s on it. Thats what I do. officially you can’t but you can run them at 200mm front.

If you want very progressive 155mm to feel like the 130m of a G13 you can set an X2 to act that way.

I have two shocks and two forks, 40’s and 36’s and a 216 and 222 X2.

alheginbottom. About half an hour to change back. Assuming you have the 27.5 lowers.

You can run the 29 at 180mm if you want. The ‘new’ 170mm 29 is marketing bollox, no new chassis parts or anything.
    As mentioned just set the travel as you would for the 27.5 lowers.

You will need a pin spanner (about £6) to change the neg spacer but that’s the only special tool. Better with a flattened off socket for the fork air cap.

It’s essentially a lowers service (utube vid for this) and moving the travel pin and removal of the neg spacers to suit.

Travel adjust video also online.

sharkattack

…just swop to 175mm rear and…

I was wondering about this. The G16 is listed as 155/175 but there’s no obvious adjustments on the frame. Do you need to swap stays or linkages?

sharkattack

I’ve just ridden my first Geometron! Just briefly but enough to form some opinions.

It was a Longer, and the owner is good 5 inches shorter than me. The reach from the saddle to the bars felt and looked similar to my current bike (large Cotic Bfe, confirmed with tape measure) but in every other way it dwarves it. BB to top of headtube is 10cm longer.

I’m surprised by how normal it felt considering you can see the whole front of the fork from the saddle right down to the axle bolts. When the saddle is up it puts you in a very central position right above the cranks. On the Enduro 29 demo bike I’ve been riding, when you pop the saddle it feels like you’re right over the back axle. It felt very nimble and easy to carve around on. I’m also pleasantly surprised by how light it felt (I didn’t weigh it). It wasn’t a weight weeny build but it certainly felt ‘modern day trail bike’ weight.

I’m 6’2″ on a good day so not sure if I need a Longest. The Longer is way bigger than anything I’ve had before. Now that I’ve had a good poke around a bike I’m a lot more convinced that I want one. Nothing about it put me off.

Only one thing struck me as a complete ball ache just waiting to happen. The rear brake hose runs under the welded on shock mount. Which means every time you want to fit or remove a rear brake you have to remove a calliper or lever. On a Hope brake with a braided hose that will be nerve shredding stuff!

Chainline
    Free Member

Bigmagoo Arse. Did Paul say when they expected stock. I know Chris is trying to keep up with G16 and was with Kalle Nicolai a couple of weeks ago to discuss supply amongst other things.

Sharkattack. I really would recommend trying out a Longest at your height. To save me going through the thread where are you?
    As mentioned it’s easy to set up a Longest to be the same cockpit and physical reach as a Longer but you would have the option if needed to increase the space. You can do the same adjustment with the chainstay using a different insert (+5mm)

And you change the travel by using a different shock. You get the same leverage as shown in the video.

sharkattack

I’m in Sheffield. The dude I just visited currently has a Long and a Longer, he’s going to keep whichever one he prefers.

Yeah I think I want a Longest. I also want the full 180 front/175 rear travel. Can I ask them to set it up like a jump bike? 😉 I know they’re designed to be progressive anyway but I love jumps and drops. My last bike had all the grip in the world and was super fast but I couldn’t get the bloody thing off the ground. It was a bit of a buzzkill sometimes.

Do they not have a fleet of demo bikes that they can ship all over the country to serious potential customers? Wishful thinking I know, I only ask because that’s what Orange do. I’ll pay shipping if it’s refundable off a frameset…

Chainline
    Free Member

They wont generally ship bikes to you but Toby does travel with demo’s set up as you request.

Sounds to me like a day at BPW for the £200 demo fee, refundable against a purchase would suit you.
    Loads of jumps and drops to test to your hearts content and a dude to fettle your bike and set the suspension/bike up exactly to your preferences.

thepodge
    Free Member

Tell him he prefers the longer then he can sell the long to me at a discount

bigmagoo
    Free Member

Anyone here running the fox x2 at the upper limit on a g16 , I’m 105kg and wondering what psi it will need, the guys at mojo have said about me being at the limits, would be great to hear of if anyone has been using one in these conditions, @heavyhole! No confirmed dates for a dpx2 which will have a working range up to 350 psi. Cheers!

Gotama
    Free Member

I have to run the float X on my G13 at the limit. Pump to around 315 to account for airloss taking the pump off. It works fine but I’m always skeptical about the longevity of the seals due to running at the limit. no probs so far though. Very tempted to swap out for a coil though.

sharkattack

Tell him he prefers the longer then he can sell the long to me at a discount

Keep an eye on Pinkbike it’s going to be for sale once he gets the new one fettled.

Pump to around 315 to account for airloss taking the pump off

That hiss when you removed a shock pump is not your shock losing pressure!

Sounds to me like a day at BPW for the £200 demo fee, refundable against a purchase would suit you.

Honestly, I’m close to just hitting the button on a Largest. Got an uplift at BPW booked and I want a bike ready for then.

thepodge
    Free Member

Even second hand they are a bit more than I can justify spending considering how much I ride mountain bikes these days

Gotama
    Free Member

That hiss when you removed a shock pump is not your shock losing pressure!

I appreciate that but I definitely lose some when I take the pump off. I also have it on pretty good authority that I’m not going outside the actual tolerances in my approach.

blakec
    Free Member

Bigamoo

My XXL was one that they had on stock order though Toby did mention it would have take longer if there hadn’t be a stock order already in place.

yes now all built with 29 wheels front and rear. Its running the fox 36 29 44mm offset 160mm fork up front and the 215 x2 in the chip in the 222 position. this gives a BB height of 350mm and a head angle about 62 degrees ( this isn’t super accurately measured).

For me it feels good first bike I have ridden that feel just right, though I think I might have to play around with the stem handle bar combo to get it perfect. I have ridden it about 6 hours now and it wasn’t till about the 4th hour I felt completely comfortable to really start pushing it this was more due to it is a completely different bike to what I had before. I also apear to be using different muscles in my legs due to the steeper head angle. For me cornering on the two 29 wheels feels good they are so much grip available. I feel its better than the hybrid setup I rode in the demo but that was on a XL with the handle bars set much lower as the steerer tube had been cut for a medium. It was also pissing it down.

To answer your question about the x2 at Max. I run it a 250psi (which I think is the max for a 2018 x2) and am about 115kg kitted up. I run the rebound/dampening at the settings fox recommended by for for that pressure and it feels good. I also spoke to Paul at Mojo who set up the shock as per my weight and the settings recorded from the demo day. I haven’t hit anything big with it yet but I do feel I am using a bit more travel than I should. But I will play around with the settings and spacers a bit more. I also have to arrange a second day with Toby to refine the suspension for me as I am now on the XXL not the XL that I had on demo.

Overall I am very happy with the bike. but it dosen’t fit on my bike rack on the back of the car as the wheel base is to big. from edge of tyre to edge of tyre its about 2m 5cm so sticks out the sides as well. Any one got a solution to attaching a geomotron to a thule tow bar carrier. Current thoughts is to build some 16 inch wheels for transporting

honourablegeorge

Also interested to hear what Thule carriers folks are using… want to get a wheel support tow bar one

singlespeedstu

Also interested to hear what Thule carriers folks are using

I’m using an Atera Strada and my Large just fits on.
    I have to use a couple of extra toeclip straps round the front wheel to stop it wobbling but it’s been fine so far.

steveh

Just get the longest ordered and be done with it. My longer was looking pretty small on you to be honest! As you say it all felt fine and as chainline says you can play with a size with bar position etc to balance it as you wish.
    Just get it done!

Podge – Depends what you think too much, I’m even local too 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Don’t tempt me, I might just cave in.

Rubber_Buccaneer

interested to hear what Thule carriers folks are using… want to get a wheel support tow bar one

I’m not. I’m using a Buzzrack Scorpion from roofbox with the fatbike kit. This gives the extra length for my small with plenty to spare and is obviously plenty wide for 2.3-2.4 tyres on chunky carbon rims

bigmagoo
    Free Member

Thank you Gotama and blakec !!!! . Great information , helps a lot for piece of mind on my future purchase .
    Blakec . as for the bike rack , I did a mod on my bike carrier for a mega290 (1250 wheelbase) I removed the plastic brackets/feet that the wheels sit on and attached black reinforced pvc guttering with self tappers and washers and extended it as required , it works a treat , I will try and get you a picture later.

blakec
    Free Member

I can confirm that a XXL g16 with 29 wheels sort of fits on the bpw uplift trailer. You need an extra strap to attach the front wheel to the top of the wheel holder as it doesn’t go in the wheel holder

bigmagoo
    Free Member

@blakec, did you get anywhere with the rear shock in way of the travel , you did say that you felt that it was using more that it should or is it sorted ?

blakec
    Free Member

Bigamoo. I went with my kids so wasn’t hitting it a full pace. I added an extra ring and it felt better off of some of the drops.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ll have my raw XL G13 frame for sale shortly if anyone is interested. Mail in profile but will put a sale ad up in the next week or so.

catvet
    Free Member

why you selling?

thepodge
    Free Member

Thankfully it’ll be too big for me

Gotama
    Free Member

Catvet… It’s a brilliant bike, better at a lot of things than the bike I’m replacing it with which in itself seems a little stupid but the reality is that for me, it’s too much bike for a lot of my riding. I’m based in the Surrey hills so our downhills are short and generally lacking in gradient or rough ground. I also come at riding from an undergunned perspective, forced to have one bike I’d have a hardtail, irrespective of how good the FS is. I like to feel like I’m on the limit of control if that makes sense. To me the Nicolai feels like its still great at riding the more benign trails but at the same time I’m forcing it to do something it would rather not, until I get to the odd steeper or rougher section of trail and then it’s awesome.

Clearly it’s personal perspective, my riding mates are on YT Capra, Spec Enduro etc and they love them. If I lived in South Wales, the lakes or could get out to the Alps for more than my usual annual long weekend then I’d be keeping this bike, no doubt in my mind. I also expect that there’ll be a lot of times where I regret selling it but I can’t justify two full suspension bikes as well as the hardtail. When testing a few bikes I tried a Santa Cruz hightower, as an apparently comparable bike it had nothing on the Nicolai for composure and ability to cover the ground over those rougher sections.

Rik
    Free Member

If its possible to run a G16 with either 27.5 and/or 29 inch wheels, is it possible to run a G13 with 27.5 inch wheels?

Something like a 160mm fork up front with 130mm out back for a similar axle to crown as a 29er fork?

catvet
    Free Member

Gotama

So what have you decided upon, out of interest?
    Thanks

Gotama
    Free Member

Catvet – santa Cruz tallboy, using my 36s at 140mm and running the plus tyres. Even though it’s essentially an xc orientated bike I found that during my demo ride on local trails the Nicolai was far better at steep, more technical climbing which surprised me a bit. The tallboy does however pick up pace faster when you mash the pedals and feels out of control more of the time, skipping over the rougher (relatively speaking) parts where the Nicolai just stays composed. I am still slightly tempted to stick the Nicolai frame in the loft and build it up for wales/Alps trips. Its just a lot of money sat in a box for 2 or 3 trips a year!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.