Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Rik
    Free Member

If you/they ever decide to go with a shorter travel model, 130mm rear 150mm front say, I’d be very interested.

This ^^^^^^^^^. In a standard 27.5 model rather than the custom £500 upcharge

Chainline
    Free Member

Sharkattack. Mojo don’t pay me at all, but Chris is a good friend and it means I get to do testing, feedback and development and help people to get what they want. I love doing that. I pay the mortgage with the day job 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Rik. Noted.

Rik
    Free Member

😀

Wookster

Enzo, that’s a stunner mate!!

Chainline
    Free Member

So we have the frames now, two in fact, the GeoMetron Bikes Not-so-long small persons and kids design .

Jack Readings young riding buddy has thrown a leg over the demo frame built up as you can see in the pick, thanks to Instagram, GeoMetron bikes and Jack for positing this, he clearly loves it and is very rapid.

I am building the second frame up with a test specification for kids/smaller lighter rider full build and will post some pics and specification once I’ve done that.

We intend to make this a production bike. Headlines are GeoMetron geometry and features but with a 73mm BB for narrower Q factor, 145mm to 160mm rear travel and an ideal front of 160mm to 180mm, the full build will run 34’s and a DPS rear, 150 or 155mm cranks, light high quality wheels and a light cassette with 11spd drivetrain and Hope brakes.

Standover is 668mm/26″, seat tube is 350mm/13.5″ which should allow for a 125-150m dropper even for smaller folk with a 150 or 155mm crank.

Hoping to get lots of riders on these two frames, novice, fast, young and not so young, boys, girls men and women to get feedback.

[/url]Untitled by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

that is rad.

duir
    Free Member

What sort of air pressure are people riding on the 36 180s for the Geometron relative to Fox recommended? Ever since I got my Geometron the rear shock X2 felt incredible but the forks felt harsh. After lots of setting changes I finally dropped the recommended air pressure from 83psi to 60 psi, what a revelation. Now the forks feel like butter even on the roughest of Lake District descents. Seems odd that the charts should be so far out and it’s not like I am not hammering the bike. Wish I had done this a year ago!

Chainline
    Free Member

Have you got many volume spacers in suit. They make a big difference I found. I’m 80kg loaded and run. About 65psi with 2 blues.

honourablegeorge

72 psi seems to be my magic number with 2 blues at about 90 kHz. Shockwiz agreed. 1 click low speed no high speed.

I do wonder if a revalve to put me in the middle of a lower range of compression might be a good thing

wrecker
    Free Member

The geometric is a bit rich for me, but I’m positively dying to try one of these;

That said, a 27.5 “trail” geometron say 140rr/150fr with great climbing would be an interesting proposition indeed.

duir
    Free Member

One blue spacer as specced by Mojo. I am around 93-95kg in riding gear and I have had to lower the pressure to 60psi for the forks to feel how I expect them to. No compression used either. Now getting almost full travel with big hits but mid stroke support is spot on. Still don’t think I have set perfectly, would love a gadget to log data or a day with Mojo!

That said, a 27.5 “trail” geometron say 140rr/150fr with great climbing would be an interesting proposition indeed.

I said the same a while back, a 140mm travel lighterweight Geometron would be an absolute winner especially for massive mountain days.

Chainline
    Free Member

The weight reduction would be insignificant, 200g at best in a 20mm shorter bike.

You’re better off fitting non piggy back shock and lighter wheels & tyres you could run 160mm 34’s as we will on the not-so-long if it’s an all day bike.
    Much bigger savings than a shorter travel frame with the same forks etc just less travel.

On a Mojo bike that’s gives a 63 HA.

You’ve lost 2.5lbs right there with very little compromise for the purpose.

Try a shockwiz duir. I haven’t but if honourablegeorge has had a go might be worth it.

For the record if you’re riding gnarly stuff I get it. In Spain last year I had a dreadful setup for 2 days as I kept letting pressure out. I couldn’t believe it (on my 40’s) I ended up a hair over 55psi relative to 75pso start point. Just due to the terrain being much rougher than my normal trails, also had to take a spacer out. Was lovely then. Chris was with me and said pretty normal.
    Got back home and it was not good on my normal trails…

Have you given the lowers a good service. The bushes can go off and make them much stickier I’ve found.

Rik
    Free Member

Having a lighter bike is not always the main goal with a 140mm trail bike. I (and it looks like others do too) don’t want 160+ mm of travel bottomless travel even if it might weigh the same.

130mm would be my preference (but most would prob go 140mm) as it’s keeps you on the edge more, and brings far more smiles than plowing through everything with little regard for line choice like you can on a 160-170mm bike. Even if your speed is ever so slightly less it’s still more fun.

duir
    Free Member

Have you given the lowers a good service. The bushes can go off and make them much stickier I’ve found

Recently done by Mojo. I think you have maybe hit the nail there Chainline, it’s just so rough in the Lake District and descents can be very long. I have not tried without any spacers yet so may try that but pretty happy with how they are now and can still feel my arms at the bottom!

With the 140mm front and rear it’s not so much about weight but the bracing could maybe go and lighter tubing? It’s more about having a really snappy trail bike for massive mountain days. I take your point about lighter wheels and shock but I would still ride a 140 Geometron how I ride my 180/155 and the descents would be just as rough so wheels or tyres not a place to compromise up here. Reckon a 140mm front and rear Geometron would sell like hot cakes in the UK.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

For the record if you’re riding gnarly stuff I get it. In Spain last year I had a dreadful setup for 2 days as I kept letting pressure out. I couldn’t believe it (on my 40’s) I ended up a hair over 55psi relative to 75pso start point. Just due to the terrain being much rougher than my normal trails, also had to take a spacer out. Was lovely then

Interesting – my 36s are currently running at 140mm without any spacers. I was expecting to add one or more back in Spain last week but there was enough ramp up anyway (I’m guessing with the fork at lower travel the air chamber is smaller so ramps up more anyway?). Mid stroke support is so good on the 36 – don’t get fazed at all when it gets really steep.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Howsyourdad1 where’s that?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

åre bike park , Sweden. Opening weekend this weekend!

singlespeedstu

I do wonder if a revalve to put me in the middle of a lower range of compression might be a good thing

Paul at Mojo has just revalved and put a lighter oil in my 36 for me.I had both high and low speed compression adjusters wound all the way out and while it felt good on mid and big hits it was way to stiff on small chatter.
    The difference now is night and day.
    I’ve gone from 64psi to 85psi to get the same amount of sag.
    Also running a couple of clicks of highspeed and 12 lowspeed.
    It now works as well on the chatter as it does on the mid and big stuff.As a bonus the comp adjusters have now become useful again instead of just being an ornament.

honourablegeorge

That sounds like what I’d be after Stu.

singlespeedstu

Speak to Paul then. 🙂

blakec
    Free Member

I am in the process of ordering a G16 and was planing on running with 29 wheels with a 160mm fork. Though I have been questioning myself if this is the right design and with all the conversation about travel is somewhat similar to what I have been thinking over the past week. Would the G13 with a 140mm fork be more inline with what I do.

some back ground for context.
    I currently ride a stumpjumper with 140mm of travel. I currently don’t find myself “underbiked” to often. however part of my reason of looking at a new bike is to improve and push myself further than I currently do/capable of. My suspension tends to work hard as I am over 115kg fully kitted and my riding style is more straight line than perfect line. which lead my to the G16 with its beefier suspension. It will be my only bike so will have to deal with bridal path rides with kids through to days a away at bpw/alps etc.

I would be interested to here others thoughts on the G16/G13?

Chainline
    Free Member

BlakeC. If you run 29 wheels it will be 155mm rear anyway so not hugely more than your stumpy given your intended use. If you run the front fork 150mm you will have nice angles and only a little more travel than your current bike. Try both first somewhere you know, definitely the best option.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I ordered a G13 as I never felt I needed the bigger travel. Still intrigued to try the -2 degree angleset you suggested Chainline.

So far I am loving the bike though and glad I went for it.

Chainline
    Free Member

BIGMAN, yesss, a no lose position!
    I enjoy the G13 on my local stuff and general trails, but I do miss the travel when on rougher trails and pushing it (pushing for me anyways) but I am old and my body is broken 😉

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline bigman.

Thanks for the responses. I am Going to go with the G16. Will just need to get fitter.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

The angleset on the list to try for sure. Loving bike in current guise but I will slot one in soon.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

On an unrelated note I find myself running the x2 at 250psi to get the correct sag for 85kg.

Are other people finding the same?

singlespeedstu

90KG and running 180 PSI here.

Chainline
    Free Member

thats is pretty high for 85kg. Volume spacers? Different ratio tho if on a G13

Gotama
    Free Member

These bikes do seem to need to be set up with pretty high shock pressures. On my G13 with volume spacers in the Float X I have to run the shock around 300 psi to get the correct sag. I’m just over 100kg fwiw. I’m not sure the ratio on the G13, as much as I love the geometry of mine, is quite right for heavier riders. I can’t remember the exact volume spacer set up as Toby swapped them over but I like a decent amount of ramp up so there is a fair bit in there. Might experiment with more when I get a chance as it does feel like it still blows through the travel too easily on rough stuff. Still tempted by a coil and its a shame they didn’t design it to fit the X2.

Chainline
    Free Member

I agree Gotama…Some of us suggested a number of changes, including the X2 capability, before it went into production…

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/nicolai-ion-g13-29-2017.html

have seen up at 300kg when setting up friends over 100kg. Worthwhile checking the volume at that. The G13 is progressive overall though.

Wookster

Chainline I was looking at the dirt review of the G19 and they were saying that the large G19 is 10mm shorter than the shortest Geometron. Although this is still longer than most DH bikes.

I have assumed from reading the stuff on here and the reviews / posts elsewhere on the net that one of the main reasons the trail bikes were so long was to improve the descending, and one of the critical comments from people who’ve ridden the trail bike is it can be too long for twisting trails. So what’s the thinking behind the G19 then? Did it come before or after the trail bikes and does that mean there’s a school, of thought the trail bikes are too long?

Chainline
    Free Member

The G19 came mainly from Nicolai’s geolution concept, interpreting the Mojo initiated Geo rather than being driven by mojo, mainly around HA and front centre. Similar but not the same applied to the G13. Hence we see the differences in ST angle on both bikes and other small differences the Mojo and indeed Nicolai version of the G16, some discussed on here.
    There are a number of factors but descending on tracks as steep as WC tracks and/or the purpose of descending only there is a school of thought there is less requirement to drive grip on the front on flat(er) terrain/ corners or redistribute weight for climbing. Thus bringing the bars near(er) to the rider, is ok for handling.
    There is more than one way to achieve that as a measurement, Nicolai chose the conventional way with a slack ST but a similar length TT.

I’ve not had anyone who has ridden one for any length of time say the trail bike is too long for twisty trails?

Chris rode his XL on some crazy tight stuff in Spain last year without any issues. I’ve never had any problems on my Longest? It’s a different technique, but interestingly when our guide who rides the trails all the time adopted the same technique as riding the GeoMetron he was faster on his normal bike too.

It might be worth building one the other way to see the impact…hmmm. The Mojo GeoMetron has the same geo apart from the reach and the same BB config. The DT is slightly lighter as it doesn’t officially support the 40/200mm.

Wookster

Ah that makes sense thanks Chainline, the twisty comment is based I the inference from some of the people who’ve sold the bike or didn’t get on with it, but they seem in the minority by a long way.

I thought the interview with Chris Porter was really good and explained his thinking, he came across so well!

Chainline
    Free Member

Interestingly Danny H rides a size larger on the Summum, which is already long compared to most other DH bikes. You can see how forgiving that is on some slo mo and if you watch closely last year on his winning streak. big, unexpected hits and small mistakes he is able to compensate for because of the room and still maintain front end grip. Clearly the whole thing is a balance/compromise tho and very rider dependent too in DH racing.
    Mr Gwinn proves that often.

Wookster

No mate, I’ve seen how big Danny H’s big looks with him on it or next to it. Granted though he’s not a big fella! At 6’2 sizing up isn’t an option for me off the shelf really! I’m just interested at how proportionately short the G19 is in comparison to the G13/16. Granted it’s still longer that most of the DH bikes.

I’m sold on the idea behind the trail bikes, I’m enjoying my Transition at the moment which is he longest MTB I’ve ridden and it’s allowing me to have a great time on the trails and push myself more. The plan is next summer arrange a test ride with MOJO on the Geometron to see if I suit it and it suits me! Fingers crossed!!

plecostomus
    Free Member

I have my longest geometron for sale (g16) frame only no shock really good condition fully maintained comes with spare hanger 142×12 back end anodised black or age graphics. £1450 ono based in north Wales I will leave it built if anybody wants to come and check for size.

I’m 6’1″ in the longest.

I’m around till a week on Sunday before I leave for the next two world cups or I’m at Rhyd y felin for the bds this weekend.

speedstar

Plecostomus, i’ve PM’d you re the frame. Cheers

duir
    Free Member

Paul at Mojo has just revalved and put a lighter oil in my 36 for me.I had both high and low speed compression adjusters wound all the way out and while it felt good on mid and big hits it was way to stiff on small chatter.
    The difference now is night and day.
    I’ve gone from 64psi to 85psi to get the same amount of sag.
    Also running a couple of clicks of highspeed and 12 lowspeed.
    It now works as well on the chatter as it does on the mid and big stuff.As a bonus the comp adjusters have now become useful again instead of just being an ornament.

You just described the issues I was having, maybe this would be a better solution than 20psi less.
    Stu, what weight are you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.