Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

My black one is a bit brown after 18 months, the MucOff wasn’t really lifting it over the winter

Spray WD40 or GT85 on a rag and wipe it over to clean it up.

Chainline
    Free Member

Paul J. No longer swingarm required on the 2017 model due to the revised yoke and wider BB. Lots of clearance with either 445mm or 450mm chainstay length.

Your description (apart from the 29 front) is where we will pitch the kids bike with 34’s and DPS. You should get that to around 28lbs with crsts and 1x gearing.

Bedmaker 61 feels fine and yes the steering speeds up again, not everyone likes the feel just like not everyone likes it steeper 😉

rollsroyce
    Free Member

@chainline that looks rad!

I’m thinking of getting an angleset for my G13 and wondered what your thoughts are on how slack to go? I’m having to run it in the high position due to pedal strikes (I live in the lakes so lots of sniper rocks!) but preferred the handling in the low setting.

Whats this 150mm G13 you’ve mentioned too?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m thinking of getting an angleset for my G13 and wondered what your thoughts are on how slack to go? I’m having to run it in the high position due to pedal strikes (I live in the lakes so lots of sniper rocks!) but preferred the handling in the low setting.

If it’s a ZS44/56 head tube (I can’t find the info on the Geometron website) then I’m just about to take the Cane Creek Angleset out of one of my bikes, which can give you -0.5/1/1.5 options with swappable cups, so that’ll be looking for a good home!

rollsroyce
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru yeh that’s the fitment if I remember right. How much you looking for?

chiefgrooveguru

£60 posted ok?

honourablegeorge

It’s OK with me if it’s not OK with RR 🙂

catvet
    Free Member

Have there been any definitive views as to the 2017 G16 pared with 29 front 27.5 rear yet?
    Seems as though it could be the best of both worlds! ( if that is ever possible)
    Thanks in advance

Chainline
    Free Member

Catvet..hehe. I know you have mailed me but I can tell you that you would have to prize the 29/27.5 GeoMetron out of Chris’s cold dead hands..

Having spent the weekend on the 29 version, I liked it, I got used to it, but it was the front that stood out as a great balance at 60.5 HA. I had to work to steer the rear more, which I am not used to now and is not my preference.

It was both fast and handled nicely (once I was used to the different feeling) even on the tight tracks of Staunton.

I think the 29 would suit a bigger stronger guy. I’ll be testing the 27.5 rear at the weekend bakc to back on the same tracks with the 29.

My 29er’d Longest and CP’s XXL complete with lead! Rather him than me…fork as mentioned is the ebike fork.

[/url]IMG_0924 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

duir
    Free Member

I’m having to run it in the high position due to pedal strikes (I live in the lakes so lots of sniper rocks!

That’s interesting, I am Lakes too and find no issues with rock strikes in low setting on my 27.5 Geometron. What length cranks you running? I have 170mm XTR.

SirHC

even on the tight tracks of Staunton.

Bunker/Widowmaker/Camber ??? Rode camber for the first time on Saturday, the three turns were tight and hard to get into!

Been looking at replacing my Reign for a little while and currently the starling, geomteron & slash are on the list (wasn’t that impressed with the enduro, although it was only the RS equipped on).
    My first impression of the geometron was at cannock, which is the least ideal place to demo one! But definately buy into the setting the bike up properly, although am a little concerned about the shear length of the bikes and the slack head angles (I dont ride over the front, more
    middle/middleback. Noticed a commented from JimBuchannen about the length/slackness of his starling and seeing him riding it at eastridge, that front wheel is a long way out the front!

After the Mega will have to contact Mojo and see if I can demo a bike at staunton.

duir
    Free Member

Noticed a commented from JimBuchannen about the length/slackness of his Starling

I think that if you are going to go very slack all the other angles must be adjusted too or it will not work. The Starling has short chainstays and a not very steep seat angle, add to that a not short enough stem and you have problems.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Is CP running no wiper seals in his forks?

chiefgrooveguru

The Starling has short chainstays and a not very steep seat angle, add to that a not short enough stem and you have problems.

Jim’s Starling has 455mm chainstays and the 75 deg seat angle has no bearing on the handling except when seated. And the stem is 40mm long…

bedmaker

Now that CP has come around to 29er, how long before he realises he’s wrong on B+? 🙂

Hurry up…get a wider yoke organised!

Chainline
    Free Member

Don’t hold your breath/not a hope in hell on that one bedmaker. He was straight off the 29 full version, didn’t ride it for long at all. The front is a different matter.
    Like me it’s a good bike if you like that feeling, but he doesn’t like the way it steers.
    I think it steers much better with these angles, similarly a G13 with -2, than at mid 64’s. The flop, offset and trail just do seem a nice balance.

Much as I adore the 40’s the offset of 51 at such a slack HA made the steering ‘almost’ too responsive. I became used to it and stability didn’t suffer but it was more sensitive than in this set up. That’s not a surprise but I did like the feeling on this one.

Rick, now that is some eagle eyes!! He isn’t…they are an experimental special. And very amazing they feel too. If ugly as sin presently. I shall be trying the same mod shortly I think. So little stiction.amazing when compared back to back with one with wiper seals. Of course it still has to be sealed!
    Have to see how the 27.5 rear fares.

Chainline
    Free Member

I do t advocate by one doing it but I suspect a b+ tyre would fit in the rear there is that much room even with a 29er. Something like.2.8, possibly a 3.0 but they are horrible things. I preferred 29+. B+ seems so sensitive to tyre pressure and of course the punctures and the weight in the wrong place…

Gotama
    Free Member

Chainline – what difference does the -2 make on the stack height? I assume lower but is the difference diddlysquat. And are your G13 forks still set at 140mm or do you account for the lower stack by jacking them up to 150mm?

I love the way my G13 rides and I seem to be continually setting faster times on it but also curious about the slacker head angle. That said I do like the fact that it feels like I have to muscle it into corners at higher speeds as, to me, it adds to the feeling of stability which in turn gives me confidence. I’m also 6ft 4 and 100kg so the effort required for me to tip the bike in is probably far less noticeable.

I am also still coil curious for the rear. Having to pump the shock to around 300psi to get the required sag gives me a nagging feeling that I’m missing out on some of the benefits as a result of running it at the extreme of its operating range.

ganic
    Free Member

What are the options for running 29″ wheels on the geometron? Is it just the G13 or could the G16 run 29″ wheels front and rear?

Ideally I’d like a long travel 29er geometron.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ganic… see pictures and write up. That is a G16 29er GeoMeteon I was/am talking about.

Gotama, that was one of my points and heavier rider may prefer that feeling, likewise an aggressive one.
    If you use a superstar or works the change in stack height depends on if you had the steerer slammed or not.
    The offset is st the top and the bb change is minimal so if you have 10-15mm spacers, no change. It can also be reset with bar/negative rise stem e.g Syntace -6deg 30mm.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks, food for thought.

I run 15mm of spacers and a 35mm rise bar so plenty of scope to mess around there.

Chainline
    Free Member

Yep. Sounds like a no lose eat apart from the cost of the headset.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Just ordered myself a G13. And now begins a 6 week wait!

Chainline
    Free Member

BIGMAN…and a -2 headset 😀

ganic
    Free Member

Chainline, is it possible to test the 29 G16 set up anywhere?

It’s abit of a departure from my 2017 Enduro 29 in terms of HA, reach and chainstay length.

Chainline
    Free Member

Toby has a setup, Chris does and I do. Essentially yes. Mojo would set a demo bike up for you in the preferred size.

You could try mine depending on what size you are and where you are?

Chainline
    Free Member

I’d recommend you test a 29/27.5 too since it is so easy to swop between them.

duir
    Free Member

Jim’s Starling has 455mm chainstays and the 75 deg seat angle has no bearing on the handling except when seated. And the stem is 40mm long…

I stand corrected, that sounds great and should ride really well!

BIGMAN
    Free Member

@Chainline – I live in Kent so not sure the – 2 degree is needed. Would it add performance values even on flatter trails?

Chainline
    Free Member

BIGMAN, yes. in my opinion of course. just because it’s flatter doesn’t mean you aren’t travelling, it’s more related to a combination of turn in and grip. You should find you can weight the front more into a corner and that it will hold a carve better, it will also speed up turn in. What offset fork are you running as that does have a bearing.

Chainline
    Free Member

“Jim’s Starling has 455mm chainstays and the 75 deg seat angle has no bearing on the handling except when seated. And the stem is 40mm long…”

That’s not quite true as it has a bearing on the overall geometry. with a steeper ST, the whole front of the bike is pushed forward relative to a given ETT and CS length, making it longer and changing the weight distribution, although I agree mostly in seated riding.

It is compensated for here by a longer chainstay, but the Geo is straight of a Mojo apart from the SA, so very flattering…I think it might not take on the steepest of slopes with that HA and SA as well without more rider adjustment on the saddle. I find the G13 as standard more difficult (tho not difficult) than the G16 on very steep climbs even though it’s only a degree or so slacker in the SA.

Paul-j

Chainline: In reality then how much difference is there between the G13 and the newer G16? Im looking at XL G13 with a customization off fitting in an X2 shock, and a 62 degree head tube in the high setting. Then I wonder is that just the G16 with 29er wheels fitted?

Chainline
    Free Member

Paul j That would indeed be a G16 with 29 wheels fitted when in the low setting. Although they may tweak the linkage ratio if you want a 135mm rear end if you just allow the X2 you get approx 150mm.

The G16, to get an ideal BB (although that is a matter of personal taste), ends up a little slacker at around 61deg but at that point is basically a slacker G13 with 150mm travel and the option to make the most amazing 27.5/29 hybrid 😉

IF you were still minded to go custom to eliminate the slight compromise on the SA (I can confirm that it is un noticeable on the trail (and at 76.5 is still steep compared to most other bikes) and climbs brilliantly,
    I’d suggest a G16 but ‘reset’ to work perfectly with your preferred wheel size without any shock offset adjustments (it is however only one offset bush which allows massive flexibility in the bike with little or no compromise) what you lose is the ability to use 170mm with a 29 rear wheel as it makes the BB too high
    If your wheelsize of preference is 29 then it’s just a matter of specifying that the BB is 335 – 340mm with the 740mm dia rear wheel.

I’d suggest you get a demo on a 29er’d Mojo G16 XL and a -2 headset G13 you’ll know for certain then.
    If you did do the G13 custom, I’d adjust the BB and the SA too to 335mm and 77.5deg as well as the HA to 62.

Don’t forget the G16 has an 83mm BB if you were thinking of moving cranks.

Paul-j

Legend you are chain line.

Is there much difference in weight between the two frames, it will be used for a lot of alpine singletrack, with a fair bit of pedaling, and trail riding.
    occasionally used for an uplift etc.

As you say i think testing the G13 with a -2 against the 29er xl geo.

much appreciated chainline.

Paul-j

Possible to get the longer swing arm on my 2016 mojo G16, and fitting 29er front and back?

Chainline
    Free Member

hmmm, not sure anyone has tried to fit a 29 in the rear of the 2016. Its great with a 160mm 29er front and longer swingarm with 27.5 rear. Angles and bb are spot on with no adjustment.

The new swingarm yoke is what allowed the change to use a 29 wheel it has more clearance. There isn’t any reason to not be able to use the new swingarm I don’t think but its £400. Would need to check as it replaces the rear bush with a bearing so its possible it may need seatstays too but could still be cheaper than a new frame.
    You would have to ask CP if its actually possible, or I can if you want.

I would highly recommend, if you’re current frame is the right size, trying it with a 160mm 29 front fork.

Thats easy to facilitate. Where are you. If it was a preferred option it is just a case of swopping fork lowers.

Do you have an xl already.

Sorry there are so many possibilities…

Paul-j

I have the longest, G16. I need to the 180 36 and x2. Serviced so may drop it in, see if I can ride the G13 with angle set and then have a chat.

enzocycling
    Free Member

Chainline, what rear shock length are you recommending with the 29r 27.5 hybrid?

Chainline
    Free Member

either works well enzocycling. 216×63 or the 222×70 on a 2017 model. Depends on your preference.

I personally like the 170mm 222 just because it gives my knees less grief in the really rough stuff I sometimes ride. The 216 155mm feels livelier if you want it to as you can deliver a smaller air chamber.

They both work perfectly with the hybrid in terms of geo. It’s only when you want to run the 29 rear wheel I’d recommend the 216mm only due to BB height.

chiefgrooveguru

That’s not quite true as it has a bearing on the overall geometry. with a steeper ST, the whole front of the bike is pushed forward relative to a given ETT and CS length, making it longer and changing the weight distribution,

I’m not convinced that’s really the case. When you’re standing the position of the front of the bike is determined by the fork length and offset, the head angle, the head tube length and the reach, with the rear of the bike determined by the chainstay length, and the stack and BB drop dealing with the vertical aspects.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed the non-seated handling (i.e. downhill) being at all affected by the saddle position on the rails (I believe there’s about 2 degrees of effective seat tube angle available) but it does have a big effect on seated pedalling, both on the flat and when climbing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.