Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Wookster

Both look lush guys! I’m green with envy!! 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Seeing as we’re on page 26, I just though I’d drop in and say:

“Nope”

as I am clearly one of the few that hasn’t ridden one!

Bloody would though 🙂 looks zarking fantastic. Sweet builds, peeps. Happy trails.

speedstar

My frame is coming!! Went for the Raw Matt finish as, in the words of Vincent at Nicolai, you can take scotch brite wool to the frame to “refurbish” at any time! I have high hopes for this bike being the only one I need for enduros and big days out for a number of years!

Chainline
    Free Member

Raw is good. Black easy to manage as well.

Top twip peeps, Halfords Matt Black car paint is an exact match, indiscernable in fact from the ano finish should you scrape it.

Don’t forget clutch off guys and a small chain device 😆 unless of course you don’t like the noise or you run a Sram mech, although you can reduce the power of the SRAM clutch.

I’m so happy peeps are happy!

fartymarty, it’s a photo on flickr. I can make it public. you can see the link I think.

Shandy
    Free Member

I ended up bumping into Bestie at the weekend.

If you’re reading this and still weighing up your options on the 29er I have found XT 30t, 11-46 works for me on 27.5 and 29, although it’ll obviously be heavy for less range compared to Eagle.

The other thing I didnt mention is I went for carbon wheels on the 29er. I think they pickup and track noticeably better than the Flows on the 27.5 bike. Fair enough the Flows haven’t had an easy life but if I had to choose between a better groupset and the carbon wheels I would go for the wheels every time.

bestie13
    Free Member

Thanks Shandy for the chat on Saturday and the chance to see your geometron. Its likely I will transfer my current groupset over from my stumpy initially and try a 11-46 cassette.
    I have a set of carbon roval rims that I was going to get rebuild with hope evo 4 boost hubs – anyone any thoughts on these or any better options.

Chainline
    Free Member

@singklespeedstu excellent work, glad you like it. feel free to provide feedback 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks Shandy for the chat on Saturday and the chance to see your geometron. Its likely I will transfer my current groupset over from my stumpy initially and try a 11-46 cassette.
    I have a set of carbon roval rims that I was going to get rebuild with hope evo 4 boost hubs – anyone any thoughts on these or any better options.

No bother, its a shame mine wasn’t even close to fitting or you could’ve had a lap on it. Swapping all that stuff over sounds like the way to go. Make sure you get the DFender as well, well worth the outlay.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve had one of the demo g13 bikes in my garage for a couple of weeks now, and I have too admit, I really like it.
    It’s not as wierd as I thought it would be, takes a bit of adjustment, but Christ, it’s fast

scottarizona
    Free Member

Greetings all. As you can see from my screen name, I am Scott in Arizona.

Normally I wouldn’t join a UK forum, but since this is the only good thread I found regarding my future bike, I thought I would sign up.

I have been patiently waiting several months for my 2017 G16 to arrive. All of the necessary components have been purchased and are collecting dust.

Hopefully my next post will be about how wonderful it looks in person.
    I’ve never seen or ridden a Nicolai, but I have lusted after them for some years now.

After I discovered the Geometron collaboration with Mojo, it proved irresistible and I had to place an order.

Chainline
    Free Member

Scottarizona I don’t think you will be dissapointed. I know the G16s are in transit to Mojo so it shouldn’t be long…

duir
    Free Member

My frame is coming!! Went for the Raw Matt finish as, in the words of Vincent at Nicolai, you can take scotch brite wool to the frame to “refurbish” at any time!

I can vouch for the raw finish, had it on my Helius AC before the Geometron. Personally I think the Nicolai raw is their hardest wearing finish because the more it scratches the better it looks. You can polish it to you hearts content if that’s your thing but the dull matt raw looks very industrial and very Nicolai. The scotchbrite pad works great for the occasional clean up and of course you can drool over the welds and engineering with no paint to spoil the view!

julians
    Free Member

I really do fancy a geometron for my next bike in a year or so,but they really are ugly and ungainly looking.

Not sure if the ones in the recent pictures in this thread are extra large and whether the smaller sizes would look more in proportion. What size is the one in the pic above this post?

Wookster

Duir that’s a thing of beauty!!

twistedpencil

I’m a long way off buying a new Nicolai, but the Geometron looks amazing, I love the way the rear triangle looks so small, another 3or4 years and I hopefully will get one. Until then the Helius will have to do, bloody love it, and the Matt black Halfords tip is great, will be trying that out shortly, thanks Chainline.

duir
    Free Member

I really do fancy a geometron for my next bike in a year or so,but they really are ugly and ungainly looking.

Not sure if the ones in the recent pictures in this thread are extra large and whether the smaller sizes would look more in proportion. What size is the one in the pic above this post?

Can’t agree with the ugly comment, to me they are works of art and I like the way they do not look like anything else. You need to see one in the flesh to appreciate they are a thing of beauty. The Geometron is unique, original, massively durable and fit for purpose. Looks are always in the eye of the beholder but to me the soulless lookalike “pick one from a catalogue in Taiwan then pass it off as your own design” crap the industry keeps churning out is the very definition of ugly. That said good on you for deciding what your next bike will be based on something other than looks!

The one above was a custom Geometry version when I got it a year ago which is a standard longest except for the seat tube which was 460mm and a lot shorter than the longest at the time to lower the top tube. Now I see that the latest G16 longest is identical geometry to my custom one so looks like it caught on!

Duir that’s a thing of beauty!!

Sure is! The ti ano rocker is stunning up close.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Other than fancying one, I agree, the 650b bikes look like a total abberation in my eyes. It’s not even like I don’t appreciate a nice Nicolai, hell, i’ve owned a couple.

The 29″ G13 looks much more proportionate in my eyes. It’s not pretty, but it’s not an eye bleach moment.

The G13 is probably a bit more relevant as well IMO 🙂

julians
    Free Member

The 29″ bikes do look more in proportion (and therefore less harsh on the eye) than the 650b bikes.

I reckon the 650b bikes look marginally better in the smallest two sizes, and luckily for me I would probably go for the second smallest size.

I suspect I will end up with one (prob 650b as I dont want to have to buy new wheels/fork ) at some point in the next 12 months, unless someone else produces something with similar geometry, but better looking.

Choice of bike shouldnt be based on looks alone, but it would be nice to be able to like how it looks as well as how it rides.

Anyway keep the geometron info/reviews/pics coming, always interesting to see other bikes.

duir
    Free Member

Other than fancying one, I agree, the 650b bikes look like a total abberation in my eyes.

Have you seen one close up? Several of my pals slated my bikes appearance when I posted the obligatory new bike pics however they totally changed their minds when they saw it first hand. Some even completely backtracked and bought one!

After owning the Geometron for a year it just looks like a normal long bike to me.

doorag
    Free Member

@duir

Are you on Raise there? Looks like Helvellyn in the background. This is the only bike i’d look to for a replacement. No point going for another version of the same thing and i trust it would survive a long time. Plus it’s not conforming to any trend which exempts it from any fashion or consumer BS.
    I bet it eats descents?

Chainline
    Free Member

I like the 650b version, but there again I like a lot of custom motorbikes that look stretched (not choppers, more with compact and very clean mid/fronts. I like the fact it does look so long and low.

The ‘notso-long’ size will look right in 650b.. 😉

scottarizona
    Free Member

In my opinion, the main reason people find these bikes to be unattractive is because they are accustomed to seeing short wheel base, steep head angle, carbon fiber or hydro-formed frames.
    In five years these frames may appear to be quite average.

Again IMO, form should always follow function and that is how these frames are designed. The true beauty is in the function, the superficial beauty is in the details of the construction, such as the beautiful CNC machining and immaculate welds.

The ultimate attraction of these frames is how they perform, and that is why I bought one.

duir
    Free Member

@doorag

Are you on Raise there? Looks like Helvellyn in the background. This is the only bike i’d look to for a replacement. No point going for another version of the same thing and i trust it would survive a long time. Plus it’s not conforming to any trend which exempts it from any fashion or consumer BS.
    I bet it eats descents?

Well spotted. I always chuckle when people think the Geometron is for fire road climbs/uplifts and downhill tracks. It’s superb for huge mountain days with thousands of feet of climbing and high mileage because it is very efficient.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

In my opinion, the main reason people find these bikes to be unattractive is because they are accustomed to seeing short wheel base, steep head angle, carbon fiber or hydro-formed frames.
    In five years these frames may appear to be quite average.

Again IMO, form should always follow function and that is how these frames are designed. The true beauty is in the function, the superficial beauty is in the details of the construction, such as the beautiful CNC machining and immaculate welds.

The ultimate attraction of these frames is how they perform, and that is why I bought one.

That’s the beauty of opinions & all the associated cliche’s 🙂

We all like something different.

I still it’s great there are people who are prepared to push the boundaries with setups, without people going too far to find things don’t work, progression never occurs.

I’ve ridden one & it was too much for me. The G13 is worth a go I think. I don’t know though. I’ve got friends & friends of friends who bought one (love a fad!) professed to be faster yet the race results prove otherwise. For all the dogmatic praise, i’m yet to see people jumping up the results lists after swinging a leg over one.

I see the real benefit for tall people, being able to get a bike in proportion to the rest of us.

speedstar

Duir I think that’s the most beuatiful thing I have ever laid eyes on! Cannot wait to get riding on it now!

And to those who think it isn’t beautiful, well, you’re just jealous ain’t you :mrgreen:

scottarizona
    Free Member

For all the dogmatic praise, i’m yet to see people jumping up the results lists after swinging a leg over one.

I see the real benefit for tall people, being able to get a bike in proportion to the rest of us.

I did not buy it to improve my race results, since I don’t race.
    However, a better handling bike should improve the safety of the rider, allowing him to go faster safer.

I bought it for the fit, function and fun factor, all of which should be a massive improvement over my current bike.

At 183cm I am not huge, but I have never had a proper fit on a MTB.

If I find it to be “too much” for my local trails (doubtful), then I am sure it will be “just right” at the bike parks.

duir
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one & it was too much for me

Thats fair enough there is nothing worse than people slagging the Geometron off having never even ridden one! Just out of interest did you do the full Mojo demo day on it and have a technician set it up to your preferences and riding styles? I didn’t get the chance to do that so it took quite a while to get things set up how I want it. For me though, that was more about the suspension than the geometry which felt normal very quickly.

I see the real benefit for tall people

That’s one of the many misconceptions of the design. The only advantage to tall people is a decent reach and XL/XXL sizes. The steep seat angle and very short stem counters the long reach so makes the bike feel normal. The other advantages of the design such as long wheel base, long chain stay, very slack head angle, reliability and durability will be equally advantageous to the vertically challenged!

Gotama
    Free Member

At just over 6ft 3 my XL G13 is the first bike that feels like it fits properly. Broadly speaking I also think it rides brilliantly and I haven’t noticed the additional length on the slow, super tight nadgery corners where I thought I would. It has also made me a fair bit faster (strava and mates say so) which I suspect is down to me feeling more comfortable on the bike as I have a much bigger sweet spot to move my weight around when descending. So for me it is a great bike and I’ve always wanted a Nicolai due to the Germanic industrial look. For what its worth here’s a gratuitous pic where I think it looks in proportion :wink:….

julians
    Free Member

The g13’s look fine to me,proportions are correct,it’s the g16 that just doesn’t look right to me

psycorp
    Free Member

Before I ask Mojo does anyone know if the demo fee is refundable against a frame purchase or is it just a full bike?

Shandy
    Free Member

Just drop Mojo a line and tell them exactly what you are interested in and how/when you would like to demo. They are very straightforward and easy to deal with.

I ended up getting frame, forks, headset both times. I would suggest getting both ends of the bike set up by Mojo.

Chainline
    Free Member

IIRC fee is refundable against frame/shock, frame/shock fork or full bike. Paul will tell you.

psycorp
    Free Member

Great, thanks guys.

Chainline
    Free Member

Confirmed by CP. Demo fee is refundable against any combination of frame/shock, frame/shock/fork or full bike.

psycorp
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be booking a demo for Spring then 🙂

Northwind

duir – Member

That’s one of the many misconceptions of the design. The only advantage to tall people is a decent reach and XL/XXL sizes.

Yah, but that’s a massive (er, pun not intended) deal. Last year ChrisL of this parish was on a mission to find a new #enduro sled and tbh XL sizing is just a total pisstake with many brands. He rode a Mojo HD and had 445mm reach ffs, it was almost exactly the same size as my medium Trailfox and as tall as it was long.

Even where a brand has a decent medium they often have stupid size increments so the seatpost gets 2 inches longer and the bike gets 15mm longer and so the bigger the size you get the further back in time you travel.

If you’re in the middle you get a bit more flexibility at least, I just went up a size frinstance, and you get more choice and generally better sizing in the first place. But the XL guys are boned.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So I’ve got an XL G16 for sale if anyone is interested. Anything between the complete bike and frame and rear shock (as the rest of the parts I can reuse). Lightly used and well looked after.

Great looking build – Raw frame (with orange parts), XT gearing/CrossMax wheels/Hope brakes and finishing kit (in orange of course). Drop me a line for more details.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

I’m split between the Mojo G16 and a Turner RFX.

I’m running a 26″ 5 Spot at the moment. It’s a large and at 5′ 10 and having short legs and long body, it’s probably a touch too big (feels big). I can’t really upgrade it due to the straight head tube so it’s museum piece now.

I like Turner’s geo, and the customer service, plus I used to work just outside Temecula, so I’m a fanboi…..

So, I’m a rider used to a stretched position, used to being “cab forward”.

I’m waffling.

What I’m asking is – how does it ride compared to a 5 Spot, which is a Swiss army knife of a bike?

…and is it worth going frame and shock, then transplanting a lot of the Turner kit, or the full bike?

Thanks

duir
    Free Member

Yah, but that’s a massive (er, pun not intended) deal.

Yes totally agree but what I mean is the Geometron is not just for tall people as they have a size to suit all heights. However with the introduction of XL and XXL tall people have a proper sized bike for their height.

At 6′ I find the longest size with its 520mm reach feels like exactly the right riding position for my height yet it is 74mm longer than my previous Nicolai! However you will never convince everyone and there will always be some that form an opinion based on the geometry or the looks but there seems to be very few people that demo one and don’t buy one!

scottarizona
    Free Member

At 6′ I find the longest size with its 520mm reach feels like exactly the right riding position for my height

These are reassuring words.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.