Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Pics when you’ve built it jes. look forward to your feedback :mrgreen:

jes
    Free Member

Will do 🙂

jes
    Free Member

Frame has arrived, that was quick 🙂

Hopefully picking up wheels today, shock purchased a while back, bit stuck on forks as was looking at the revel but its still not out yet.

Decisions…… decisions <:o)

Chainline
    Free Member

You bought frame only. Jez, I didn’t think Chris was doing that. Interesting.

jes
    Free Member

I had been waiting a few weeks for a quote from LBS who were dealing with mojo, chased and still haven’t heard anything 😕 LBS issue I suspect as they are bit eratic.
    Grew impatient so went with the ION GPI version direct from Nicolai in the end, they had a few frames with 15% off, delivered in 3 days.
    See if I can tell any difference in the ride once built to the one I tested a FoD.
    The primary driver for the purchase though is pinion gearbox, and it was a added benefit that the ride felt very similiar to my Intense SS1 which has quite a steep seatube angle.

Not sure how much the ION version differs to mojo incarnation?

Hope that clears things up 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I got the impression that mojo dealt direct not through lbs and in one of the interviews they do mention that buying the frame from nicolai direct does defeat the object but I’m sure even at 75% of the package it’ll still be awesome

Chainline
    Free Member

Ion version is exactly the same as Nicolai version. The main change is the use of the 180mm fork but a high A2C fork/spacer or angleset can deliver the same angles. My GPI is a Nicolai (There isn’t a Mojo version) is just running a 180mm fork and -1 angleset. The 180 runs at 570 A2c.

The std angles (63.5deg in low) are with a 559mm a2c 170mm fork.

It is possible to go through LBS now. LBS can contact Mojo and discuss becoming a dealer. Leisure Lakes have done this and now provide a build and demo’s too.

Chainline
    Free Member

I am still doing demo’s if desired and not squillions of miles away, although even those too if its a good riding spot 😆

My bike is available to demo or I can get hold of a demo of the other sizes/setups via Chris.

My bike set up is currently 180mm front /175mm rear (222 x 70mm shock, 450mm swingarm), 61 HA, 77 SA, 1345mm WB, 526mm reach and 656mm ETT with a 30mm stem.

sharkattack

This is currently on the Leisure Lakes site. It looks obscenely nice.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Nearly a geometron and designed by Phil aka chainline

Playing in the backyard today…

And a few weeks ago in Torridon

Speeder

Interesting Kbrembo – how is it with the Boss rather than Fox suspension?

thepodge
    Free Member

That blue looks really nice

Chainline
    Free Member

I spent a lot of hours agonising over that colour combo. And its lovely wth BOS too. Geometry is very close to GeoMetron.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Chainline,
    What is the best source for gates belts for ION GPI? I do not how but I snapped one on my bike.

duir
    Free Member

Those geometry numbers on your new monster truck look very familiar chainline!

Chainline
    Free Member

SImilar duir, slacker and longer travel at the back, longer swingarm.

BillOddie

***Opinions below based on 30km of riding by an unrepentant hardtail rider***

I rode Chainline’s Nicolai Geometron Pinion bike last night for a couple of hours.

The bike overall is amazing.
    The rear suspension feels amazingly supple probably due to the very low unsprung weight.
    I rode the Longer bike and it felt “normal” and would like to try the Longest bike.
    The amount of front wheel (and overall grip) is freaky.
    Cornering is something else, so planted!
    It climbs surprisingly well for a 34(ish) pound bike. (that about right Phil?)

I wasn’t super stoked on the gearbox for the following reasons (in no particular order):
    1) Drag, it does feel a little draggy.
    2) Shifter, it’s not as good as a trigger shifter but it’s not that much of an issue. You may feel differently.
    3) You have to back off a lot in terms of pedal pressure to get it to shift. That was annoying.
    4) There was a lot of lag as they gearing engaged, this was the big one for me. Apparently the bike I rode had a king rear hub, you can use a fixed rear hub that helps fix this issue.
    5) Q factor, its wider. You might not care, it felt slightly odd to me, but I would get used to it I’m sure.

I’m wondering if I can sell a child or kidney to be able to afford one…(but with a normal drivetrain…)

Rubber_Buccaneer

you can use a fixed rear hub that helps fix this issue

I don’t think Pinion like you doing that and a chain that doesn’t stop when you stop pedaling may be a bit of a safety concern. I’d love to try a gearbox just so I knew what it was like, the idea seems such a good one…

Edit: or a belt rather than chain

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks BillOddie, I’m sure you can have a spin on the normal one when I’ve got the new one built up 😆

Chainline
    Free Member

and yes its about 34.5lbs now I have tyres on it that don’t self destruct at the sight of trail!

honourablegeorge

Man, that raw one above is lovely.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hypothetically speaking, since you can order a Geometron inspired ION frame direct from Nicolai, could you also do that with the Helius TB 29er?

Chainline
    Free Member

thepodge You could do that yes. There is also the GeoMetron 29er, potentially another version of that in the works..

Depending on timescale you might want to keep an eye on the std Nicolai range for 2017/Eurobike regarding the basis of geometry for all models…

But yes you could custom a TB29. Important to note that whist you would get the geometry, you wouldn’t get a suspension curve set up to optimise pedalling/descending with a specific shock and shocks configured to balance each other and the bike in where they begin to provide support etc…an oft overlooked part of how this bike works.

However thats not to say that it will be the case should Nicolai move to this basic geometry across the range.

The 29 version of the GeoMetron does have a curve/setup to suit.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

I love the whole concept and execution of the Geometron but still think even in 29er mode that its too much bike for me and unfortunately its more money than I can justify. Translating some of the geometry across to a TB29 gives me a more trail orientated package and not having the suspension setup and other benefits reduces costs.

Having messed with my current suspension set up and found it lacking I think for me a dedicated suspension setup would be hugely beneficial but I don’t really know what I’m looking for.

Chainline
    Free Member

Part of that process thepodge is to help you find what you are looking for. You don’t have to know in suspension terms but merely try different setups from someone who knows.

Mojo do that (maybe others do too) as a stand alone option.I don’t know if thats the case for non fox stuff. You running Fox?

There is a shorter travel 29er in the works….

Shandy
    Free Member

I asked about that recently and was told there was something on the way.

Just checked, two weeks til eurobike.

BillOddie

Chainline
    Free Member

haha. Eurobike is end of August.

Short travel 29 is a Mojo project but may find it’s way to Nicolai too.

There will be much testing, normalisation and benchmarking first to decide if it’s ‘better’ than others.

Referring to thepodge’s comment about too much bike, we debate this a lot, what is too much bike? If it pedals, feels lively, handles and delivers on all fronts for a similar weight to ‘less bike’ which is often the case now, is there a reason to choose less?

We have got my 180mm/175mm version to feel like the 155 version now, its the same weight. Do I always need it on my local, fairly flat, 30-40km xc singletrack ride with BillOddie, no. Does it handle awesomes and give me a huge grin, yes. Do I feel handicapped or extra tired compared to my rigid Jones, which in some ways would be conventionally considered more terrain and ride distance/vertical appropriate, no, not at all, they can both be fun, in many ways the 180mm bike is funner even on that stuff!

I guess its a bit like saying an M5 or M3 is too much car compared to the std model. I think you just get a precision instrument that works well within it’s capabilities and if you want to go crazy you can.

BillOddie

Do I always need it on my local, fairly flat, 30-40km xc singletrack ride with BillOddie, no.

Oi! There is at least 400m of climbing on one of my longer evening rides…

Gotama
    Free Member

Are the Mojo 29ers anything to do with Chris’s day at bike park wales where they faffed around with the various wheel sizes?

Either way, the mojo 29ers sound very interesting, both short and normal travel albeit I think I’d more likely be in the short camp. Are we talking this year or next?

thepodge
    Free Member

Hummm, lots to think about there.

I’d be interested in a Mojo tuning session, I’ll have to look it up on their site and see what it involves as everything I have will be at least 3 years old.

I’d be interested to know more about the shorter travel 29er, though slightly surprised its a Mojo development as Porter seems so against them. Still if he can sell them then why not?

As for the too much bike thing, I can see your point and I cant think of a logical reason right now why shorter should be better for me but it just feels wrong.

Gotama – Are the Mojo 29ers anything to do with Chris’s day at bike park wales where they faffed around with the various wheel sizes?

He still seemed quite dismissive of them in the 30 seconds he was in the video.

Chainline
    Free Member

Chris is still very much open minded. Right now he hasn’t found the perfect set up with them but tecognises others prefer them. Not everyone lives and dies by the stop watch..

The long travel 155/160mm version is available now, to Order and test ride but only in the Longest size so if you believe what I ride at 5’10” (Longest) that size up, realistically though I think 6 footers for most people.
    All dimensions are as per my bike so slightly longer chainstays but front fork is 160mm not 180mm.

The short travel one is likely towards end of year I guess.

Neither were anything to do with the wheel size thing at BPW. Chris was still finding time with Suspension tune but recognised that on certain tracks a 29er front wheel could be beneficial, less so the rear. So he has begin testing with a 29 front with various two tweaks to see if his ‘feeling’ translates into speed.

Chainline
    Free Member

There is a mint, Ti anodised Long size GeoMetron frame, fork and shock available at Mojo ex demo at a very good price if anyone interested.
    Msg me for details or call Chris at Mojo.

Chainline
    Free Member

new trail bike :wink:. 32.3 lbs. Got a few mods to make to get it to 31.5lbs, wheels, bars, pedals to change..

its very slack indeed, quite long, but not very low, a British standard 340mm in fact. 180mm front/175mm rear. set up to pedal well and only give up the rear travel on really big hits.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JWKdXZ]IMG_0043[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JUuCM5]IMG_0039[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/K1CUys]IMG_0044[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

STATO
    Free Member

Chris is still very much open minded. Right now he hasn’t found the perfect set up with them but tecognises others prefer them. Not everyone lives and dies by the stop watch.

Neither were anything to do with the wheel size thing at BPW. Chris was still finding time with Suspension tune but recognised that on certain tracks a 29er front wheel could be beneficial, less so the rear. So he has begin testing with a 29 front with various two tweaks to see if his ‘feeling’ translates into speed.

Its funny though, because almost everyone in the vid found a fair chunk of extra time on the 29er, even those who didn’t like them. And given the entire point of the initial development of the geo was to get to the bottom of the hill faster (his words is print when it first came out), its funny to see he is still dragging his heels 😆

Paul-j

Chainline, your breaking my heart! Ive go the longest geometron, and been riding with the one vision team. This makes me want to play about with that swing arm and the shock. considering how well the x2 works I can only see upping it to 175mm is a good thing!
    Just when I thought the bank balance was safe.
    I may have to give chris a call about the swing arm.

benpinnick

@chainline that is a sick puppy. I like.

honourablegeorge

Paul j – Member
    Chainline, your breaking my heart

That’s what he does. Tempts people. 🙂

maxtorque

That looks like an absolute steam roller of a bike!! 😆

Shandy
    Free Member

32lbs?!

I need to figure out where the weight is in mine.

What wheels are you thinking about putting on?

One of those and one of the allegedly/rumoured/unconfirmed trail bikes would be a great combination.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.