Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • stompweaver

Oh God I am supposed to be putting the money into a house but that is so tempting! 😯

Could I ask what rims you are using? There’s weight to be saved there if they were replaced with carbon ones.

I am very interested to see how people get on with the shifter as that’s the main thing that puts me off. I have never got on with grip shift and much prefer trigger shifters. I know you can get used to anything but if you’re dropping that sort of money it should be exactly as you want it.

sharkattack

Could I ask what rims you are using? There’s weight to be saved there if they were replaced with carbon ones.

They look like Derby rims and they are carbon.

Evil looking bike.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re not and the design of the frame accounts for it, but the cranks look like they’re way too far back. If they’ve designed the frame to account for that then there must have been loads of buggering about with seat tube angles and shock mounts and chainstays and stuff?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

CP famously doesn’t like clutched dérailleurs as they interfere with the suspension action.Shirley the massive belt tensioner (which going by the belt drive bikes I’ve dealt with will be under considerable tension) is much worserer .It’s hard to work out chain growth with horst link bikes (runs off to ‘linkage’) ,the pivot/chainring position looks good but I assume there will be some built in to assist the anti squat.

deviant
    Free Member

but the cranks look like they’re way too far back.

That was my first thought, looks like the pedals are behind the rider canting you forward into an almost time-trial roadie position!?….i love the original 27.5 Geometron but this one just looks weird and looks like I’d end up in a precarious position when descending.
    All this is said having never ridden one of course so disregard at your pleasure.

Chainline
    Free Member

Pedal/crank position is exactly the same as on the std Geometron longer/M at 590mm centre of crank to centre of top of headtube. Centre of crank to centre of bar end is 915mm. Call the latter the ‘range’
    Std SA is 77.7deg. The std Geometron has a large ST to crank offset too.
    Pedalling position was something I worried about before riding it and a reason my earlier custom designs only went as far as 75° or 75.5° seat angle I was worried it would feel wrong to pedal. I’m happy to report after six months or so of use, But I knew as soon as I rode it, that my fears were unfounded. In fact it has relieved pressure on my (previously rubbish and tight) hamstrings, stimulated better quad development and lead to me no longer getting lower back pain on tough rides.

Yes rims are Derby Carbon 40mm HD. So 465g give or take, Sapim CX-Ray’s, 32.
    Belt is under very little tension, on a par with clutch less derailleur I’d say. One finger push to release belt off the rear sprocket which is held in by a ‘snubber at the rear and a central track down the middle of the sprockets.
    Geo is the same as the std bike on this one as I’ve added a -1deg angleset to make it the same

Rorschach
    Free Member

I s’pose there is a lot more ‘wrap’ on the front.Even with centre track and a snubber the gates bikes I’ve built all slipped like a bugger if not tensioned enough.It was a few years ago though.I wonder if they’ve changed the design a bit.
    Ta

maxtorque

Chainline

Comes in at a hair under 15.4kg/33.8lb

Ooff! That’ll be a nice work out going up hill then…… 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

Max torque, yep, probably an extra 30kcals on a typical 2hr trail ride. I’l have an extra hobnob, carry 0.5l less water and only one spare tube

chiefgrooveguru

Looks great! Is everyone running 35mm or shorter stems on these?

Chainline
    Free Member

Chiefgrooveguru, yes, I run a 30mm in my std bike but wider bars and short offset forks. The GPI had 35m and std offset forks, 780mm bar.

Most people running a 35mm stem. Don’t recommend any longer Unless a particular reason/desire ultimately it’s personal preference though.

Chainline
    Free Member

I find this very interesting what JP (who has a lot of experience) has to say and how Jack responds too.
    A different way of getting across some aspects I have been trying to convey before a demo on the Geometron or when answering questions after (sometimes natural) conclusions drawn based on potential rider’s experiences when seeing headline or out of context angles. The Geometron is most definitely a package, not just a frame. It allows you to be more dynamic in the bike not less you can feel the suspension working with you and thus the trail, you get feedback from the frame and suspension, but that’s very different to just feeling the trail….can’t wait to see it on the WC DH circuit.

http://www.alinecoaching.co.uk/news/jack-reading-on-nicolai-2016

coppice
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the rear travel is adjustable on the geometron? There look to be chips and the spec sheet says High/low position but travel is just listed as 155mm. I’m currently running 150mm pikes that i’m happy with and it would save a good chunk of cash if i could keep them.

Also the website states “We also tailored the anti-squat to be just enough when you are in the gears used for technical climbs. In this way, the anti-squat falls away reducing the feeling of ‘hang-up’ on the bump edge as you shift into higher gears. This involved us specifying a higher main pivot in the first instance and allows a range of 30T, 32T or 34T chainrings and an individual ride height depending on your riding focus” What are the implications of running a 24/38T double crank?

riklegge

The travel can sort of be adjusted, in that you can ask mojo to reduce or increase the stroke I believe. There’s no chip on mine.
    Regarding the gearing, worth checking with mojo or chainline but I would anticipate that you would have more anti-squat in the smaller ring and less in the bigger ring. Chris at mojo was running something like a 36 ring to have minimal anti squat. If you go for the full demo option you could probably test out how it feels.

gaz552
    Free Member

You feel like your arms have had a workout just watching the video clip in that link Chainline posted.

chiefgrooveguru

Also the website states “We also tailored the anti-squat to be just enough when you are in the gears used for technical climbs. In this way, the anti-squat falls away reducing the feeling of ‘hang-up’ on the bump edge as you shift into higher gears. This involved us specifying a higher main pivot in the first instance and allows a range of 30T, 32T or 34T chainrings and an individual ride height depending on your riding focus” What are the implications of running a 24/38T double crank?

If you run a double then it’ll have minimal anti-squat (anti-squat makes a bike pedal efficiently) in the 38 but very little kickback. When in the 24 it’ll stand up tall and possibly jack a bit when pedalling and won’t absorb the bumps too well when climbing. Personally I wouldn’t run a double on it – it’s too carefully optimised around 32-36 chain rings.

benpinnick

Looks pretty sick, I like.

deviant
    Free Member

Loving this thread, I’d already pretty much decided on a Liteville-601 as my next bike but these Geometron’s look fascinating and have thrown a spanner in the works….will the DH-team be running ‘short’ travel rear suspension like the bikes on this thread or going for the usual 200mm+?

Is the idea of Jack Reading going for stiffer suspension based on the theory that the geometry of said bike can do the job meaning less reliance on compliant suspension?….or is he simply aping Aaron Gwin’s setup in the hope something will stick and it’ll work for him?…honest answer please!

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the team are planning to develope a Geometron inspired DH bike, not specifically run Geometrons DH and most top DH riders run really stiff suspension don’t they?

Chainline
    Free Member

Not much time at the mo, I’ll answer later. The DH team will run Geometrons. tweaked mainly in CS length since the production bike was centred around the best compromise for all round use.

The suspension will obviously be to each riders taste, tuned by Mojo.

The Geo is the same as the production bike to my knowledge.

Riklegge, unless you have a special, you will have a chip or trail key next to the the rear mount of the shock and oval insert. IT allows you to increase or decrease the BB height and HA by approx 6mm/0.5deg

You can change the travel as described by using modified shocks. The DH team will use 180-190 rear travel.

The set up will be different to other DH bikes I think because the linkage is progressive not linear as most DH linkages are.

The Geometron wont work so well with a double its true. The bigger the front ring the better the anti squat or the further down the block the anti squat is present. Big grunty pedallers are using a bigger front ring.

I’m running 32 on mine and its got strong antisquat in 1, 2, 3 and a magic 4, then it tails off.

THE GPI has less anti squat but seems to remain well controlled after the test at the weekend. Muddy as, no slipping, it was rick solid and silent. Nice in fact. Rear suspension responsivness is incredible with such a light rear wheel.

Lots of interest in the bike and quite a few did the pick up test, went for a ride on it, came back surprised and took contact details, all good. Most were surprised how light it felt.

Another video on Jacks facebook page.

Chep pinned down Hammers on the Nicolai

Awesome day up at Descend Bike Park, Hamsterley with the guys! Here is a run with Jack Reading Jack Reading: Downhill Racer chasing James Hurst on the Nicolai Bikes test bike! Even though this bike is too big for him, Chep is flying as you can see! The UK expert category needs to watch out this year, our man is ON it! #downhill #wild #pinned #winter #training #hamsterleyforest #mudandroots #bikes #mountainbikes #team #v1sion

Posted by One Vision Global Racing on Sunday, January 10, 2016

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers, with 180-190mm of rear travel (doesn’t the new Intense have something like 240mm!?) they’ll be responsive that’s for sure!
    Interesting stuff, all sports need free thinkers/mavericks like Chris Porter, some of his ideas haven’t caught on but I think this one will….as others on this thread have said it’s got me eyeing up slacksets for my own bike so it’s not just potential Geometron owners that have had their interest piqued by the numbers being offered by Nicolai/Mojo.

My Trance runs the SX version numbers of 160mm/140mm front/rear and has a head angle of 66 degrees, intrigued as to what taking it out to 64 degrees would do….little winter project I reckon!

chiefgrooveguru

Looking at the leverage curves, more downhill bikes nowadays are progressive than are linear. Most are around 8″ / 203mm rear travel, a few have significantly more. The main difference with the Geometron is the vastly longer reach. Will the Geometron DH bikes be running dual crown 200mm forks?

chiefgrooveguru

The Geometron wont work so well with a double its true. The bigger the front ring the better the anti squat or the further down the block the anti squat is present. Big grunty pedallers are using a bigger front ring.

Other way around – you always get more anti-squat with a smaller chain ring.

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru – Member

Other way around – you always get more anti-squat with a smaller chain ring.

He said better, rather than more.

duir
    Free Member

Geometron owners:

What size are you riding Long/Longer/Longest/Custom?

How tall are you?

plecostomus
    Free Member

6 foot 2 longest

Chainline
    Free Member

Northwind, Chiefgrooveguru is right. Serves me right for rushing this morning and trying to do two things at once; work (nothing at all to do with bikes) and answer questions on the way out the door..I have to be thinking straight to do kinematics, or fluid dynamics…but that’s work!

32-36t is the optimum chainring range for the GeoMetron bike, 32 providing the most anti-squat in the lower gears, 36t the least. You can feel it drop off significantly as you move down the block/up the gears (smaller teeth).

The GPI doesn’t have as much anti squat as the GeoMetron. it runs a 39t front sprocket and 34t rear.

With the new cassettes (I have a goatlink on my xtr rear mech) you can run up to 45t low gear on the rear cassette, thats pretty damn low gearing.

Chiefgrooveguru, I was led to believe most current DH rigs weren’t designed to be progressive in a way that is optimised to work with an air shock , they were more linear. Perhaps I should have been more clear, but I also haven’t checked.

The standard Ion 16 or 20 linkages are progressive but somewhat more linear than a Geometron linkage if Chris doesn’t speak to me with forked tongue. Its definitely what my backside tells me when riding it compared to my previous std Ion’s. I wouldn’t go so far as to say baggy but the Ion is less controlled n the early and mid stroke positions, particularly around the sag point, would be a fair statement.

I have requested Antonio of linkage blogspot do an analysis of the Geometron and GPI, I’d be interested to see it. I run a Mac so don’t have it.

The DH bike will have the CS/SS optimised to use the longer shocks and allow more travel. Yes they are already running Fox 40’s currently at 180mm as Chris has done with the option of adjustable offset clamps.
    I don’t know if they will run the full 200mm up front or even go that far at the rear.

Building specific CS/SS allows the geometry of the current bike to be preserved.

GPI at the weekend..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CV8b62]Untitled[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C62kHa]Untitled[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CV8oWx]Untitled[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CtUQYX]Untitled[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

Wookster

Blimey that’s slacker than a slack thing! 😯

Won’t the super slack head angle effectively shorten the reach and therefore negate the longer TT to a certain extent?

riklegge

Duir- I’m 5’6″ and ride the long.

scruff
    Free Member

Geometron on Cannock Chase Donkey Trail 😆

Chainline
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t sell any, as mentioned, I’ve talked and ridden with a fair few owners and generally speaking below 5’8″ I’d recommend Long/S 620 ETT, 485mm reach, 5’9″ to 6″ maybe 6″1″ M/longest 640 ETT, 508mm reach I think, maybe 6ft, deffo 6’1″ and above 660mm ETT, 525mm reach
    Mojo would start with Longest at 6ft, my opinion is definitely have a proper test ride on longer(M) and longest(L) at that size to see what works best.

As ever some caveats in that, the Geometron sits low at the front with that slack Ha and the ETT can be deceiving a little, I’d say it could feel a bit longer, quite a lot of surprise when sitting for the first time how low the front is with a 180mm fork. Most people I have ridden with settle on 20-30m of spacers with a 20mm bar rise again depending on riding style, more inherently aggressive riders have got away with more spacers.

As I became more used to the front and more and more trusting I went from slammed on ride number 1 to 15-20mm under now which is much more comfortable for pedalling.

All above goes out the window with long legs/short arms/body or vice versa or some other combo.
    Custom top tube heights/seat tube heights are possible.
    One of the guys who bought a 29er, from Switzerland I think, was sub 6ft but wanted another 20mm on the longest after a test day

squid
    Free Member

So interested in the Geometron it will happen thought it would be last year but no joy so hopefully this one… Then I saw the 29er looks wise it’s better IMHO but the proof will be in the riding….
    Out of curiosity how much notice would be needed for the £200 test ride option.?

squid
    Free Member

Well having just read this entire thread I can safely say I’m sold on it 100%…. The only question that remains is 650b or 29er if they ride the same then it’s the 29er..but I would definitely go for the one which I feel is better, which is a no brainer really regardless of wheel size…. Now about that demo ride… How do I go about it.? I’ll go for the freebie demo first as you never know…

Chainline
    Free Member

squid you can either email me ( in profile ) to arrange something depending on where you are based, how far you want to travel, whether you want to ride somewhere you know and what size you are, or call Mojo and ask for Paul Shepperd to arrange a local to them demo ride

if you want to ride the 29er as well as the 27.5 then its probably best to do that near Mojo. Don’t forget the 29er is only in the LONGEST size unless you go for a custom frame (additional cost).

I haven’t ridden both. I’ve had enough feedback from those that have, to know that they don’t ride the same.

Some more stuff on the DH version here https://www.facebook.com/Nicolai-Bikes-282678971751628/

https://www.facebook.com/nicolaibikesuk/

I’ve been enjoying the GPI version lately running with a 61deg HA as opposed to the 62deg of the std GeoMetron. There are some advantages I feel and so far no real disadvantages other than the need to firm up the rear damping a little to aid weight distribution and the fact you need to weight the front a little more to get the best out of it. Climbing is unaffected. It has a little more ‘flop’ effect, as you’d expect, on the flat at über low speed but once at walking pace that disappears and it doesn’t wander uphill (SA is slightly steeper), that same effect aids turn in under braking whilst allowing you to keep the front loaded.

Switching back to the standard bike it’s amazing how neutral it feels, just a fantastic all rounder, I still love it, can’t wait to hit corners on it every time I go out 🙂

Interesting stuff..

squid
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply, I know about the 29er size as I’ve already asked mojo and that the next slot for production is mid March…
    I’ve a feeling I’m going to miss that one though, no rush though all good things…..

squid
    Free Member

Ps:travelling not an issue mileage wise Scotland may be a bit too far but will see when I get round to arranging it….

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

It has a little more ‘flop’ effect, as you’d expect,

What does “flop” effect mean?

Chainline
    Free Member

tooTATtoRIDEWheel flop refers to the way a bike tends to turn more than expected due to the front wheel “flopping” over when the handlebars are turned. Caused by the lowering of the front end as the bars are turned. It’s a function of head angle and trail. slacker head angles and reduced offsets result in increased trail and thus an increase in ‘flop’.

The rotational inertia of the front wheel reduces the effect, this is basically more speed. So at slower speeds there is a feeing of faster turn in or falling in. Not necessarily a bad thing but requiring effort to counteract at slower speeds but also contributing to easier turn in in many ways at higher speeds once a turn has been initiated which is slightly counter intuitive.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Thank you for this very helpful explanation. Much appreciated.

scott1380
    Free Member

Been watching this thread for a while now with great interest. Really disappointed to see the costs increasing £250 across all the options though 🙁 I’d been considering the frame and fork option but at £3150 it really makes you wonder if it’s justifiably that much better than some of the other offerings out there. Any idea what’s driven the increase? Doesn’t look like anythings changed?

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.