Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Doethie Valley lately?
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

Planning a ride there tomorrow, last rode it in June last year where it was a swamp in places. I’m hoping the recent dry, cold conditions mean it’s in better shape than last time. Anyone ridden it recently and can comment?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Snowy I would think.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Should be fairly snow free~ I can see the hills in question out of my window!!

I’d imagine now would be as good a time as any~ alot of the soil around here has turned from quagmire to dust.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Likely to have to get through snow to get to the valley, snow line is roughly 300-400m.
    The valley itself should be fairly snow free.

Don’t expect a mud free ride, you have to ride through streams so it will always be wet.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Thanks all, looking forward to it. I have fond memories despite the mud! Will let you know how it goes.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Well, talk of dust was certainly wishful thinking! Despite the forecast saying warm and sunny, we came across 4 feet snow drifts, biting winds and sub zero temperatures. The Doethie Valley itself was more sheltered, but still as patchy as I remember. Muddy and swampy in many places, which is a shame as it breaks the flow up. Still worth riding for the scenery and bits of singletrack where it does flow, but the trail could do with a long dry summer to improve riding conditions.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Doethie valley in crap, over-hyped bog shocker 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Only if you ever ride at trail centres vdubber67.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’m not really a trail centre sort of person actually. I’ve ridden Doethie a number of times on Trans Wales, and always found it didn’t live up to the ‘best natural singletrack in the UK’ tag that the mags seemed to want to throw at it. Yes, it’s long, but that’s about it.

Each to their own etc 🙂

ryanctj
    Free Member

I remember riding it in 2000, it was sublime. Still a good ride but I have also ridden better natural trails.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden the Doethie Valley lately?’ is closed to new replies.