Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone ridden Rossett Gill fairly recently?
  • wl
    Free Member

Only time I’ve ridden it was around 3-4 years ago, but it looked then as though they were ‘upgrading’ it (ruining it) by turning into a dull flight of giant steps like Dollywagon – there were sacks of rocks at the trail side. Anyone know what it’s like now? Ta.

scary_carey
    Free Member

I rode it 12 months ago and it was quite Dollywagonish towards the bottom. The top section was still good and techie. Thats the only time ive ever rode it so I cant tell you if its any better or worse.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers scary. How was that Lakes route you posted about around a week ago? Interested in it myself.

fergal
    Free Member

Surely riding this is in the same league as trying to ski down Everest with a parachute, why?

wl
    Free Member

Simple – it’s challenging and fun if you like that sort of trail.

wl
    Free Member

Surely someone’s ridden here in the last year?

scary_carey
    Free Member

Wl – that route was brilliant. I’m hoping to do it again very soon when its not so windy. I didnt get to Causey due to the wind so cant say much about that. There’s so much good riding to go at round there its untrue!!

wl
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks Scary. That area looks good to me – big hills, nice trails and it felt a bit less busy when I did a walk and wildcamp there with some mates. Looking forward to exploring it with my bike.

wl
    Free Member

Bump

tomaso
    Free Member

I rode it today, leaving Elterwater YHA @9 & got back @4 & the weather was good for late November! Whether or not you think this is a good ride will depend on what you like. 1,600+ meters of pure up, much of which is the first climb & about 22 miles door to dor from the YHA,.18 if you parked @ Dungeon Gill. A good amount of carrying up & some along. Some.great steep decents & amazing views. Not too much bog but loads of nadgery singletrack that is far from flowy & at times uterly frustrating. However when it.does come.together its great & really rewarding. Its much easier than the tour of Great Gable!
    I am far from a broken man as I type this from a hot bath drinking rum…

Cheezpleez

I walked it back in July. I think you’ll find there’s still plenty of technical interest. They’d need to do a *lot* of work to make it dull

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I rode with tomaso yesterday.
    We went UP Rossett Gill but the whole ascent looked really nice as a downhill, plenty techy enough.

Our full route was up Rossett Gill; Angle Tarn; Esk Hause; Sty Head; down Styhead Gill (a wonderful rocky descent); Stockley Bridge; Seathwaite; Stonethwaite; up Langstrath and Langdale Combe; Black Crags; down to Mickleden (another fantastic rocky descent)

I’m suffereing today though!

tomaso
    Free Member

My legs were not best pleased at being asked to work again this morning as I pedalled to work and I seem to be scratched and brusied all over! But yes it was great fun and surprisingly pleasant for the amount of elevation gained and lost.

Sometimes you feel priveledged to see the places a mountain bike takes you and the views as we climbed up from Langstrath to Langdale Coombe and then again to look down into the Langdale Valley.

You really want the waether to be kind as it is not a ride to do in the rain or high winds. We just made it round in daylight and it wouldn’t take much going wrong to get you into trouble. There is plenty of scope and opportunity to break either your bike or yourself, and god knows I tried the bnumber of times I crashed!

Ecky Thump left me for dead on the last big rocky descent, nailing more the steep step tech and treachorous water bars on his Five than I could manage on my Stumjumper. God knows how our man with the map did it on a rigid singlespeed mmmBop 😯

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden Rossett Gill fairly recently?’ is closed to new replies.