Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone ridden Leysin in Switzerland?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Fancy a stop off en-route for Morzine and this seems to be interesting enough (or Metabief maybe). Just wondering if anyone has ridden there?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Metabief is OK, I did a half day there driving over from a friend who lives nearby. IMO It’s main advantage is that the lift opens in May. It’s so close to Morzine vs rest of the journey it doesn’t really represent a stop over. If I where you I’d take a day (or two) out of your holiday and ride in Verbier and/or Chamonix.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m coming from Luxembourg so anywhere an couple of hours from Morzine is a midpoint for me really. Don’t mind riding an extra half day around Morzine but fancy seeing somewhere new too. I would have gone to Lac Blanc (not new for me, new for my passenger) but it’s closed on most weekdays. I do see La Bresse might be open though

jambalaya
    Free Member

@atlas I have also been hiking up to Roche de Naye (great view) above Montreux, there is a descent you can do using the train as an uplift (bit expensive), I have a map I can send you. More of a one-off ride than Metabief where you can do a few routes off the lifts. Matabief is like a mini PdS with a few custom trails and rooty stuff in the woods. I also did the St Cergue (again train uplift) from behind Nyon where my mate lives but that was a bit boring to be honest.

Chamonix/Morzine is about an hour’s drive in the summer. For something new to PdS you can ride Samoens – get up first lift and ride Les Gets down to Samoens (excellent 1000m+ descent), ride the trails off Samoens lift then have a taxi take you back to Morzine (we booked one with a trailer for 60 euro which could take 4 people/bikes). Contact Bike-Alp and see of they can guide you / help with organization.

atlaz
    Free Member

So what would that be, park in Montreux, train up the mountain, ride back? Sounds like it might be fun. We’re just looking for some leg stretching and different riding really. If you have a map that’d be really good.

As for the PdS I quite fancy something like you’ve described for at least one day. Col du Cou or Samoens (or both) seem pretty much spot on. Got a yearning for some cliche’d alpine singletrack across a grassy mountainside 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden Leysin in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.