Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone ridden cli-machx @ Machynlleth???
  • garfyted
    Free Member

It reads very well but whats it really like – has anyone ridden it recently – thinking of investing a whole weekend to a visit to that area – be interested to know if the write up on its website is a s good as it is.

zinger
    Free Member

slight thread hijack – but for anyone replying to original post do you have suggestions as to good places to stay in the area for 3 people ?

will
    Free Member

Riden this a fair few times no, have to say it is brilliant fun! Very nice and “flowy” section of track, all linked together with some small bits of fire road. Main climb at the start, then not much climbing at all.

Best section has to be the last single track section, very fast, and good fun. even a section of North Shore for you to have a stop and play on.

Only thing i would say. Not worth a whole weekend, you can get the whole loop done in about 2 hours ish. Good for a break from CYB.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    garfyted
    Free Member

Thankyou will – yeah but the weekend will no doubt involve quite a lot of buggering about, getting lost as well as the inevitable skinful of ale so thankyou very much

rOcKeTdOg

it’s ok, bit of boring fireroad but the final descent is prolly worth it

will
    Free Member

There are other trails that go from Machynlleth, but havn’t done any of those, more natural than trail centre stuff, so sounds like they would be brilliant!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We rode it yesterday. I thought it was a nice loop but the climb hurt like hell. I am sure on fresh legs it would be fine but i had ridden Mach3 (Machynlleth) earlier that day and Llandegla the day before.

Very impressed with the Beast & MBR tails today. Rode Cwm carn last week too.

Going to leave Wales alone for a while now 🙂

righty
    Free Member

good for a night ride :mrgreen:

chvck
    Free Member

Yet another excuse for me to stick up this vid of tony the tiger 😉 ; the final descent:

http://www.vimeo.com/3243297

It’s quite a nice trail, quite a lot of slogging up hill though and there are some other things around mach too. Nant y arian isn’t far away either if you fancy a bit of a ride there too.

james
    Free Member

Really good. Quite a lot of the middly single track sections remind me off penmachno (not the same though)

Just south is Nant-y-arian which gets really rated. I believe theres a longer and a medium route there well worth doing (amongst others), so could do the cli-mach-X and the shorter of the two worthwhile loops at nant-y-arian one day (maybe day 2?) and the longer of the worthwhile nant-y-arian trails on the other

Mugboo

We enjoyed it, just don’t get distracted by the big red fish…

If your down that way and can be bothered driving a bit further then add in Brechfa, we did the Gorlech and thats superb.

will
    Free Member

Chvck – thats a great little vid, such a fun decent!

martyntr
    Free Member

Being and Aberystwyth Local and riding up at the Climach-x every couple of weeks, I can tell you it’s riding pretty well at the moment.

TBH the top of the final descent as you go past the View point and before you get to the switchback berms is really gnarly at the moment and needs a bit of work. Just ride it fast and you’ll be alright.

I 2nd Brechfa. The Gorlech is one of the best trails in Wales IMO..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One of my favourites. As mentioned above, Brechfa is a delight as well.

RE the final DH at Mach, there’s a really nice way of getting back to the last section if you fancy another go. Ride up and out, as if following the full trail. About half way up, take a hard left, just before the trail follows round to the right. Ride up to the radion mast, keep on going to the end et voila! You’re on the shore down on to the final DH. You come out on that plank built berm that’s on the left on chvck’s video.

Great riding, Climachx. Very good indeed. Lovely views when the weather’s right as well.

Pricey8
    Free Member

Awesome trail rode there on thursday, final decent is the longest of any of the welsh trail centres and can get pretty crazy at times you can also uplift it if thats your thing. Pop into summit cycles in machynlleth and they can give you a trail map of some of the natural trails around the forest which again are pretty amazing. Dont forget nant y arian and coed y brenin or for some natural riding the mach trails, cadir idris and pont scethin are all very close. Well worth a weekend visit.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

ClimachX is good but I’d agree that a whole weekend at Mach might be a bit much. I did Mach 2 while I was there and wasn’t that impressed TBH.

PJ266
    Free Member

Climachx is mint! I’m the one in the vid that Chvck is following. the climbs arent too bad, and its worth it for the final descent. oh, and all those who say you cant spend a weekend there dont have the local knowledge 😉 the Dyfi forest has some fantastic natural stuff, but its VERY easy to get disoriented in there, i’m lucky that some of the people i ride with know the place quite well.

waihiboy
    Free Member

i thought it was ‘ok’, the final downhill is good and as said above is easily one of the longest ones in Wales for a man-made trail, but as a whole i prefer something like Penmachno.

beware there is no cafe at climax, just a carpark. (i think that was the one)

martyntr
    Free Member

summit cycles in machynlleth

Holey trail – Machynlleth

Summit Cycles – Aberystwyth

Not to be pedantic or owt..

Speshpaul

Lovely trail, one of my fav’s had some great times there.
    You can easily tie in Mach with CYB Penmachno or Nant. they are only about 40 minutes from Mach. one in the morning, one in teh afternoon and one after tea.
    As for the climbs they are all steady no big deal, hey if you don’y like climbing hills don’y go to wales:-)

DezB
    Free Member

zinger – I know of a fab B&B about 30mins drive away, run by a friend’s parents. (Fairly central to the areas mentioned by speshpaul)
    Email me if interested.
    cheers,
    dez

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

yeah as the others have said, climachx is well worth a ride, the final descent is probably the best one at any man made trail in my opinion. (and its possibly the longest) only a half hour drive at most from Coed Y.
    Mach 3 is completely different, me and a mate rode it on saturday (on a ride from aberystwyth to mach and back, mach 3 is largely double track xc sort of stuff, theres some good views, big climbs and one good techy ish bit. theres also a lot of sheep crap out there!

Olly
    Free Member

Climbing: Sloggy fire road
    General singletrack: good, but not fantasmic orgasmic
    Final Descent: Climaxical!

Having ridden the whole thing once:

from the carpark (by bike), leave down the road the way you came in, instead of crossing over the bridge over the river, turn right, up around the hill, past the caravan park on the left, turn up the fire road which forks off to the right, follow the fire road around the valley, (up the first major climb of the Dyfi) to get back to the top of the last descent.

repeat until dead

MoreCashThanDash

Not ridden ClimachX, but the other trails Mach 1,2 and 3 are quite interesting to try for a change – more red sock rambling mountain biking than in your face trail centre riding, but great scenery.

Could always pop in to the Alternative Energy Centre to spend some time. Very interesting, discount if you arrive by bike!

molgrips
    Free Member

Tons of natural riding in the areal. It’s Mid Wales for heaven’s sake! The best riding this side of.. somewhere a long way away!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

lethal_frizzle – Member
    yeah as the others have said, climachx is well worth a ride, the final descent is probably the best one at any man made trail in my opinion. (and its possibly the longest) only a half hour drive at most from Coed Y.
    Mach 3 is completely different, me and a mate rode it on saturday (on a ride from aberystwyth to mach and back, mach 3 is largely double track xc sort of stuff, theres some good views, big climbs and one good techy ish bit. theres also a lot of sheep crap out there!

You spoke to a couple of our guys at the top of a climb. You went bombing past us (I was knackered by then). Was very impressed to be told one of you guys were singlespeeding. Talking of sheep crap, did you ride through the DEEP puddle? It looked like a puddle but i swear it was 90% sheep shit/piss. Once the first rider had broken the surface i was retching taking pics of the others.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden cli-machx @ Machynlleth???’ is closed to new replies.