Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone ridden Blade this weekend?
  • Twin
    Free Member

Has it dried out at all? If it’s still a bog then might give White’s a go instead.

GolfChick
    Free Member

We rode it Saturday. Fairly dry apart from one or two short sections but nothing major at all, we won’t be rushing back tho!

lotus777
    Free Member

rode it on Friday, sticky mud still on some sections but not bad enough to put me off. “the rock” section makes it all worth while.

fozzybear
    Free Member

I didn’t enjoy it (Yer it’s called an opinion and yours can differ! Pre troll disclaimer)
    Whites used to be a nice trail but sadly time has not been kind to it.

I loved the heartburn climb on blade. That’s how the whites climb used to be.

The final decent is good the rest is tosh.
    I won’t be going back to afan for a long time.

Plus side it was a lovely day, sunny and warm had it been wet and windy (after the forest cull) I’d have been a nightmare to be with.

Paceman
    Free Member

Off to Afan tomorrow, how’s the new Blade trail running, has it bedded-in yet after the wet opening month?

chvck
    Free Member

Rode it on Saturday, 2 diversions in place (don’t know what it diverted but the trail tracked by my gps was shorter by about 6km compared to the trail map, make of that what you will). I didn’t really enjoy it, felt like a lot of climbing for the amount of descent. Final descent would probably have been great if I had had brake pads left… It’s definitely pretty damn wet. Didn’t really feel hugely muddy but very, very gritty.

Paceman
    Free Member

Will take spare brake pads then 😀

Del

has it bedded-in yet after the wet opening month?

commercially built trail shouldn’t need ‘bedding in’ as such, other than building and then being allowed to weather, before it gets opened. all this talk of mud on blade on opening really makes me think it’s been very poorly built. 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

I think that after the ride between 5 of us we changed 5 sets of brake pads and I finished off another yesterday!

SOAP
    Free Member

How the **** can you use a set of pads on one ride?
    Brake less go faster, your arms must ache like mad with all that arm pump!
    I think it’s a great trail, the Rock and happy days are fantastic.

PJ266
    Free Member

Yeah just go faster Chuck, whats your problem? Jeeeez.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

+1 , unbelievable.

chvck
    Free Member

None of them were new pads before the ride! We just had to change quite a few after it…

DanW
    Free Member

The surface grit at Afan is very unkind to brake pads. It’s the only place I’ve ever ridden like it. If you are near the middle to end of a set, it is pouring with rain and you are riding with a group of mixed abilities (i.e. braking more than you’d perhaps like at times) then chances are the pads will be toast.

Regardless, nothing about how Afan is lately makes me lust for the trip out there 😕

pedlad

I rode nearly all of the blade followed then climbed back up to windy point across y wall and down zig zags with mates on sat.

Grim weather but an enjoyable ride apart from 3/4 of us not having much in the way of brake pads left by the end. None of us are particularly brake heavy I would say either. They weren’t brand new pads but incredible rate of wear. The grit is so fine I think it just works like commercial abrasive compounds would.

The blade was good with some reservations. Loved the techie climb up. It wasn’t too muddy. – it is mtb’ing in wales after all! It does seem that there was a lot of climbing compared to the downs ….especially in comparison to what a great bang for buck you get from Piccadilly, 373 and graveyard.

As for afan not being a good venue I disagree. There’s loads of variety there now. Some great flowing single track, some rocky sections. I think blade does need some more maintenance in parts which isn’t good for a new commercially built trail, but I suspect it would flow more in the dry when you aren’t expending quite so much energy on these ascents.

Really enjoyed the new penhydd in the sun as a Friday afternoon leg loosener.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for Afan.

superfli
    Free Member

Yeah, Blade in the wet eats brake pads. Mine were once again down to razor sharp metal (still worked fine!). Same thing happened at BPW in the wet. Its the claggy yellow custard/clay stuff that seems to be used at both centres. Maybe its my Formula The Ones, because my old mini monos never went through pads that quick.

Afan is better than its ever been IMO. Loads of choice now, and enough there to get 3-4 days riding

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden Blade this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.