Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • anyone ridden at Bagnères-de-Luchon, Pyrenees?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I have a days or two in the Pyrenees coming up, and wanted to see if anyone has ridden off the lifts at SuperBagneres?

I have 1 day on my own, and 1 day with my 8yr old.
    He can ride ok, but not ridden anything bigger than the South Downs, so easy graded trails only.

I know AQR ride out of there, so i’m gonna mail them. Wont have too much time for something formal, with group tho’

Any tips happily received.

Northwind

I only did one day on the lift… Some absolutely phenomenal riding but, I have to say I wouldn’t have found a damn thing without the AQR guys (it was rest day but they let me follow them around like some sort of enduro puppy). No idea what was official or signposted…

We did a class unuplifted ride right out of Luchon, hard work but totally worth it. And another more XC one off the col du bales but getting up to the col was misery. I’ve never been back, just because of the relative lack of uplift compared to say the tarantaise valley but you know what? Some of the riding we did that week was as good as I’ve found anywhere. Just, there was less of it because we had to spend most of the time going up.

nickjb
    Free Member

The stuff under the lift is great and enough for a couple of days. Some is signed and some you just ride the fire road that snakes down the mountain then head into the trees when you see a nice looking track. You eventually rejoin the fire road or pop out at the bottom. Its pretty mixed terrain but a little steeper and more tech than the sdw. Generally flowy but your lad may need to walk a little on some tracks. I’ve done three weekends there and just ridden the stuff under the lift and off the back of the mountain accessed via the lift. Never ridden up much or used a guide but done enough high walking there to make me want to but for one day playing under the lift is enough.

lardman
    Free Member

thanks for that info>
    Helps to get a better picture.

steviep
    Free Member

I cant recommend AQR highly enough. Ian Potter is one of the best bike guides I have ever had the pleasure to ride with. Employ his services on the Superbagneres and you will have one of your best ever days on a bike. The trails from the top of that mountain are fabulous but very few are signed. Have fun, I haven’t been to Luchon this year and am missing it big style!!

gra

Another recommendation for AQR, I did one day with them last year and the riding was great. Back this year but only will be doing a day or two self guided from the Superbagneres ski lift.

There was a recommendation on here a while ago for a combination of two of the blue routes from the top but I can’t find it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge or the original poster may chime in as I would like to try it myself.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another vote for Ian & Kate at AQR. One of their great skills is being able to match riders to trails, so they’ll know mellower stuff that’ll suit your son, then be able to scare the bejeezus out of you (if that’s what you want)on the next run.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden at Bagnères-de-Luchon, Pyrenees?’ is closed to new replies.