Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone ridden across the pryenees if so…..
  • vondally
    Free Member

looking for any advice please but just to start

what route did you use…..biarittz to perpigan? or different.
    Did you manage to get most of the famous cols in?
    Did you camp or B and B?
    What time of year did you go?
    What bike or type..roadie/ mtb/ 29er
    How long did it take and what was the daily mileage?

Thanks

flap_jack
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that Chipps bloke did it. Wish he’d publish his route…

beej

Did the Saddle Skedaddle road trip this year. 7 days riding (I think), lots of famous Cols but not all. There are also famous climbs that are up and down the same road – we didn’t do those.

About 80ish miles a day I think, less on one day. 2000-2500m of climbing each day. Wasn’t particularly tough (EDIT: actually, it was quite hard but we did have lots of breaks – so we were out far longer than we really needed to be)

Went in June. Was 35C for first few days. Going up Aubisque after lunch in that heat was less than fun.

Stayed in smallish hotels, and two big hotels.

Flew into Bia, out of Perp.

Road bikes.

8 part blog here, if you want to know more:
    http://www.dislocatedmtb.com/2011/07/pyrenees-part-1.html

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I met a guy who walked it once. Allegedly there’s a pretty well known walkers route. I can also remember one of the Pyrenees tail guiding Mtb tour companies ran a coast to coast Mtb tour. Think it was 7 or 10 days . Sorry that’s vague. If you find anything out about an Mtb route across I’d love to know more.

vondally
    Free Member

thanks for the info…really intrested in the off road and i remembers Chipps blog but no route…………………….. 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

hopefully Edukator will pop up for, you can get his attention by calling him a faux frenchman or something. He’ll probably know something or other as he lives in that neck of the woods.

andyha
    Free Member

Have look here, good website for travel in general

crazy guy on a bike

doug_basqueMTB.com

GR10 is the walking route. Some of it is great for mountain biking, and other bits aren’t. I think that regardless of the route there will be a fair bit of boring stuff to link it if you try to do it on mountain bike. I know some people who did the GR10 but took detours off it to avoid the big carrys, they wrote a blog about it, you could search for it. I think it I was doing it I would do it on a road or cross bike. Or in a van and stop every day for proper mountain biking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden across the pryenees if so…..’ is closed to new replies.