Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone ridden a transam 27.5 or soul 27.5?
  • ceepers

Every time I switch from my fs bandit 275 to my soul it feels a little bit short. The ETT is similar but the reach is a fair bit shorter on the soul. I’m not keen on running a longer stem to compensate and I’ve maybe got the chance to spend a little cash on a new hardtail.

Still just musing really, the obvious option would be the new soul since it’s a tiny bit longer and slacker and the soul26 is a great bike but the transam looks fun too, slacker again and shorter chain stays.

It’s mainly my winter/ mud bike, nothing too twisty or rooty. I “think” a 29er is out since I’m small and I never manhandle the bike into turns as hard as I should on a 26 anyway……

Leon
    Free Member

I had a soul 275…but I can’t figure out what your question is!!!

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve got a Covert 26″ and a Soul 27.5, both in medium.

Like Leon, not sure what you’re asking??

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a similar Transition and Cotic combo (Covert and BFe) both 26 in medium and the relative sizing seems fine to me. Finding Transam 275 owners is going to be tough, nice looking bikes though. As above easiest fix would be to look at seat mounting and stem length or just get another Soul.

ceepers

Guess I mainly wondered if anyone had ridden a trans am and how it compared…..

I’ve had a free afternoon without much to do except internet time wasting!

I like a short (50) stem and it’s more the reach when standing descending than the seated effective top tube that I notice the difference on so moving the saddle won’t affect that. Guess I notice that there are times when I’m thrown forward more on unexpected impacts when descending on the soul and when the same happens on the bandit there’s less of a feeling of nearly over the bars because the longer reach gives a little more space. A longer stem would put me more over the front end to begin with.

Switching from the bandit to the soul always feels like I notice the difference in position/length and I like the bandit position more, apart from that the soul is awesome. The soul is a small but the bandit is a medium since their sizing always came up small – the ETT is almost identical but the reach is a fair bit bigger on the bandit, I guess because of the differing seat tube and head angle?

Does that make sense?

vincienup
    Free Member

Is it a 275 Soul you have or a 26?

I ran a 26 Mk2 with 70mm and have a 275 with 50 which feels longer. I haven’t compared measurements so can’t say, but the position was meant to be tweaked for a short stem and inline post which more or less must mean extra TT I think. It also feels less springy at the back which is a little disappointing but overall it’s a good bike that I love very much. I know the guy who sold me my 26er Soul bought a Bandit but I believe he’s got another Soul now. I’ve never ridden a Transition.

ceepers

I’ve got a 26 soul size small and a medium bandit 275, both with 50mm stem, same 740 bars, I’m 5’6 and a half (the half is very important at that height! ;-))

I know the new soul has a longer top tube but I think the chainstays are longer too, the transam has short stays like the soul 26. I love descending and both bikes tick that box already but I kinda feel like the soul with a tiny bit more reach would be perfect. The trans am on paper looks like it has good numbers, slitly longer, slightly slacker than the soul but short chainstays and similar reach to the bandit

There’s nothing really wrong with the soul but I’m always thinking and wondering……….and buying new kit is fun!

How does the 275 soul compare to the 26?

forge197
    Free Member

I had a Cotic Soul 27.5 and now have a TransAm 275 though I can’t give feedback as I’ve not ridden the TransAm as mrsforge has been using it I’ve only ridden it to check the gears works 🙂 and not enough to form an opinion.

Mate still has a Cotic 27.5 so will get a chance to back to back ride them not sure when that will be though.

Don’t think that helps at all 😆 other than I have ridden both!

vincienup
    Free Member

I think the 26 and 27.5 Souls feel different to me, but I’ve got very different builds. The 26er (mk2 not mk3) was a much springier bike that may have been more playful, a little like those lovely old Steel 26er Clockworks and Konas.

My 275 is a much more go anywhere bike, feels more planted and generally solid. I’ve got it set up with 130 Revs, Flow EXs and a 10mm DT RWD T/A with 760 bars and 50mm stem. It’s quite a low frame so needs a fair bit of post for climbing and cruising and I went short there to begin with which led to tiring early. Once I’d sorted fit out, it’s a grin inspiring go to bike. I’m very happy with it, which is good as the build got much spendier than it was meant to. I’m not overly missing the Chameleon with 36’s that used to be my main HT.

Just noticed height comment : I’m 178cm and on Medium for both Souls. The Santa Cruz was Large.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden a transam 27.5 or soul 27.5?’ is closed to new replies.