• This topic has 74 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • anyone ridden a ton recently?
  • franksinatra

Did my first one last month, Ride to the Sun, Carlilse to Edinburgh. Was generally flat and it was fine, I didn’t feel overly stretched at all.

Road a windy, hilly 56 miles from Jedburgh to haltwhistle recently and that was much harder.

scandal42
    Free Member

I am supposed to be riding 100 miles on Monday. I have never ridden that distance and I have been ill all week meaning I haven’t been out on a bike.

Also I am heading south to Cirencester from Leicester and the forecast is for a 16mph south westerly 😕

It’s not looking good.

donald
    Free Member

Did my first ever 100 miler last month in Romania while touring in Eastern Europe. Really chuffed with myself TBH. 10 days into a 1000 mile tour, panniers, 35 degrees and no help from the wind.

scotroutes

Just checked my LeJoG stats.

Day 1: 114
    Day 2: 94
    Day 3: 101
    Day 4: 102
    Day 5: 111
    Day 6: 102
    Day 7: 111
    Day 8: 111
    Day 9: 164
    Day 10: 63

😆

jekkyl

I had a great time when I did it 100 miles on my 26″ HT. Picked the flattest route possible, had a full cooked breakfast 20 miles in at a sainsburys. Finished in good time but was dismayed to get home to find I’d only done 99.2 miles so I cycled down the canal for a bit and then back again, so when you look at my strava report my longest ever ride is exactly 100 miles.

johni
    Free Member

I’ve done the Manchester 100 mile for the past 2 years. I’ll be doing it again in September. Very easy 100 miles with only 620m of climbing.

70miles + tends to be where you start to need more food IME.

highlandman
    Free Member

The distance is really just a head game, where a sensible start will set you up very well for the rest of the distance.
    I do a few a year, some alone, some in sportives like the 3Pistes. The longest is usually riding solo from Angus to Lossiemouth on a Friday, sweep the Speyside Way Ultra marathon on the Saturday then ride home again on Sunday. There are a few wee hills in between but knowing that I’m ‘on duty’ at the race next day means good motivation to keep the pace sensible northbound. I’m always saying to runners that if they can do 50 miles, they can do a 100 and I’m sure that the same thing applies to bikes. My biggest issues on this trip are that I need to be self supporting and have tyres that can cope with all day on the road then another day all on trails- this is where the old steel 29er comes in very handy, running CX semi-slicks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Couple last year but only managed 71 miles this year so far.

Hard to find the six or seven hours I’d need, what with young family, but I’m gonna do it in August hopefully.

Even if I have to ditch an MTB ride to do it.

fasthaggis

I always fancied the Audax idea but I don’t think I’m in the right age-group – yet.

Yes you are 😛

I have a couple of 100s planned next month and a Deeside loop (150).

The lure of Audax is getting stronger 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wait until you think you are old enough for AUDAX. There are quite a number of younger (i.e. sub vet) riders doing them, and if you leave it too late you are going to be trying to keep up with some nail-hard sexagenarians (I know, after riding the 400km with one last week)! George Berwick (70+) was also riding, although I don’t know how he got on. Might have been feeling the effects of the Mersey 24 hr TT the week before…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not yet this year, never really got off my arse and got fit in the spring.

Might do one in September if the weathers nice one weekend. Always nice looking at the map afterwards and thining that the UK really isn’t that big if you can cover a fair area in a day.

fasthaggis

the UK really isn’t that big if you can cover a fair area in a day

Aye,I quite fancy doing more C2Cs in different parts of the country.

Yarmouth to Aberystwyth might be a bit much in a day though 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

George Berwick is a bit of a legend. He’s recently given up being MO for Glenbuck bothy, if any MBA members fancy volunteering – last I knew they wanted to appoint joint MOs.

I rode from Durness to Evanton two days ago on the way home from an ‘up the west coast’ tour. Fully loaded with 4 panniers and a bar bag, so although it was only 95 miles or so, I call that a century. Interest was added by the road up the side of Ben Hope being closed due to bridge washouts, so this day involved some wading!

Prior to that my longest ride this year was the full fat Paris Roubaix, which is just over a century.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wait until you think you are old enough for AUDAX. There are quite a number of younger (i.e. sub vet) riders doing them,

I’ve done a couple this year and I’m only 34,

last ride pre injury was a 300km,

100 miles? as easy as any other ride, as long as your fuelled and pacing yourself

kcal

Hm – 100mile – only two, both on/off road, on rugged bike (Peregrine).

Two years ago, just a bit over 100 miles on the Moray Way (Coastal Path, Speyside Way, Dava Way); followed by last year, just on the 100 miles, Blair Atholl to home via Gaick and Dava Way, I was a bit broken by the end, semi-laden (front panniers), had done a few days prior to that.

Not done it all on roads, come quite close (80, 90) on road bike and on fixed gear mongrel as well. Food and hydration essential (oops).

molgrips
    Free Member

Trans Cambrian way, two Saturdays ago. 103 miles, 15 hours 😯

nedrapier

How was it, mol? Forgot I was looking out for how you got on! 15 hours doesn’t sound too bad for that kind of ride? Site in a day or over two?

simondbarnes

Having done bugger all riding this year I jumped on my new touring bike and did 110 miles earlier this month. Slow and steady, couple of cafe stops, very pleasant. The following Sunday I jumped on my cross bike and did 100 miles with a mix of road / trails / canals and had a pub stop 🙂

T666DOM

Did a charity ride recently around Yorkshire, close to 400 miles in 4 days, 88, 110, 106 and 96 miles. 2nd day was grim around Hull with 8o miles into a headwind. Legs only really felt grim at teh start of the second day and close the the finish on day 4.

I fancy trying the coast to coast and back ~250 miles but I’ll have to get into shape first!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My sister lives about 100 miles away in Melrose, I really need to break my century duck by riding over there to see her. Was hoping to do it this summer, still time yet.

Stu_N

Did the Three Pistes Sportive at the end of May. 180km including ride to start and finishing up and a few hills. Haven’t done more than 100km since, due to Real Life intervening. Main thing is to start steady and not go into the red unless totally necessary, and eat and drink from the start.

Did 100km on the mountain bike in January but not done anything remotely that long since.

iainc

Nobeer – drop in for a cuppa after 20 miles 🙂

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Most weekends now, on the road or cross (with road tyres) bikes, I did do 110 miles in a single ride last year on the full-suss, which was with hindsight stupid and left me unable to walk down stairs for a day.

breadcrumb

Only time I’ve ridden 100 miles was the Kielder. I wasn’t going to quit but if my bike fell to bits I wouldn’t of been too upset.

I’ll have a crack at a road century at some point.

WildHunter2009

Think i’ve only ever done two. Hmm I should change that really. First day of Lejog was a 117 miles. Couldnt get my leg over the bike the next morning so had to lay it down and step over! My bike fitness has really fallen of a cliff since moving to australia.

fatmax

Third person in the thread to have done http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk – need a few rides to build up to it, but it’s just riding steady and fuelling correctly. Enjoy!

midlifecrashes

Donny to Brid a few weeks back. Nearly stalled outside of Hull after miles of headwind when I stopped at my brother’s house for snacks and beer, but the more sheltered path out to Hornsea got me going again and the wind was side on after heading north. Been in America the last couple of weeks, sightseeing and eating loads and I would struggle to do fifty tomorrow if you asked me.

crazy-legs

Done three this year so far. First was the Fred Whitton, second an Everest so not only 126 miles but also over 9000m of climbing. Strangely felt fine after it, that was almost entirely a mental thing.

Most recent was the Dunwich Dynamo last month, 150 miles once we’d done all the riding to the start and then back to Ipswich. That was on a singlespeed.

Doing LEJOG again in September, that’ll be 9 centuries in 9 days. 🙂

Most of it is just mental rather than physical. Break it down into little chunks of 25 miles at a time, have coffee, food etc.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve done 2 – the Fred Whitton and for a laugh I did one on Zwift. I say “a laugh” but I mean “for 6 hours of turbo trainer punishment.”

Still, got a fancy (virtual) kit out of it so that’s a win!

Go steady and stop for a break at the 1/3 and 2/3 points.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Through the warmer months I generally do one a month nowadays, I did back to back ones the other month.

Longest Road ride is 201km in North Cornwall & Devon that was mighty hilly. Longest MTB is 185km at mayhem last year, 5500m in that one.

Doing the Cvndsh Rise above next weekend at 185km, Manchester hundred, wild Wales (just short) in the next few weeks.

I rather enjoy them to be fair, in a group or solo.

jam-bo

Fred Whitton was my first and last 100 miler this year.

chakaping
    Free Member

Doing the Cvndsh Rise above next weekend

Hopefully he can spend some of the money he makes out of it on a few vowels.

Enjoy though, looks a nice route.

DezB
    Free Member

I rode 99 miles this week, but I had a camera on my bike so I just ended up disappointed that no cars knocked me off and put me in a wheelchair.

sssimon
    Free Member

Did my first on Saturday, 75 mile sportive with 13 miles each way to get to the start/finish. Just over 7 hrs with a 45 minute wait at the registration and 20 minutes for tea and a sandwich on the way round. Pleased with an Average of just over 17mph, went out with the club’s A group and really should have realised sooner that I was going to blow at their pace, dropped back and fell in with a few other club mates and got through the day alright, almost hit the wall at 65 miles but a bit of shouting from a mate and 2 gels in quick succession and I felt great right up until 3 miles from home when I lost the will!

igm

Anyone else in Thirsk at 0730 on Saturday?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden a ton recently?’ is closed to new replies.