• This topic has 45 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by t-p26.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Anyone ridden a Mondraker Vantage???
  • mcgoo
    Free Member

Just ordered a frame, seems like just what I’m looking for on paper but would love to hear from ayone who’s got one / demoed one. Get it a week on monday

chrisdw
    Free Member

Mine should be arriving Friday! Really excited!
    What build are you going for?

Ive ordered a large

mcgoo
    Free Member

Yeah also the large. Im 6ft and ride a large spicy as my fs bike so made sense really and 400 notes for frame, stem, headset, seatclamp and rear axle seemed a really good deal! Got a brand new set of all black 150 revelations, reverb stealth, shiny new slx double and xt front and rear derailleur with some dt swiss ex471 rims on hope hubs my mate is gonna build for me. Been accumulating bits for the last couple of months so looking forward to building it up!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcgoo
    Free Member

Did you try one before you ordered it?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Nope. Didn’t try one. But everyone seems to rate the Foxy and its got the same geometry as that. Just seemed like a great bargain.

Im doing similar. got a set of 150 pikes to go on. superstar wheels. and a mix of slx and xt drivetrain. Just a normal external hose reverb for now as it came off my spicy.
    I also have a works expander ring for the cassette so will see what thats like.

Ive got a set of flat bars to go on, but im not sure if they will be a bit low. will see.

MBR did a review in the feb mag. They didnt like it, but i get the feeling the guy reviewing it just didnt like forward geometry. he didn’t seem to get the point to it.

mcgoo
    Free Member

Oh right, I was looking online to see what they thought of it but couldn’t find it anywhere. I reckon it will be spot on for me and that is the first negative feedback I’ve heard about it but then, like you say, opinions differ from person to person. Horses for courses and all that! I was looking to get a Stanton switchback until I found this frame option with all the extras and it just seemed a bargain and a good way of testing out their forward geometry. Let me know how you get on if you get chance, I just got a minion dhf and dhr2 through today so can’t wait to have a blast!

chrisdw
    Free Member

read it again and it definitely sounds like the guy just doesnt get on with the idea of forward geometry.

Im not sure what pushed me to get one tbh. I wanted a hardtail again as my spicy was getting boring and i just spent most of my time on the rigid 29er. Just liked the look of it.

Hopefully it will actually be in on friday. silverfish have changed their delivery dates a few times now.

Ive gone for Conti trail kings. with he big 2.4 up front.

Im surprised there hasnt been more interest in this thread!

kudos100
    Free Member

I had a quick go on one and it felt good to me. I like the geometry though. The guy in the review sounds like he was on the wrong size. They are really long. A Medium is like an XL in most bikes.

Yes it’s harder to manual and get the front wheel up, but I found with a bit more body English it wasn’t a problem.

mcgoo
    Free Member

Great stuff, thanks for the replies! I was kind of unsure about the sizing myself at first, but when I thought about it, it’s pretty much what sold me on it. Not sure whether I’ve got a disproportionately long torso or what but I sometimes tend to feel a bit cramped on a bike. This is mainly why I ditched my old medium zesty for a large spicy. The (2013) spicy has a 615mm with a 55mm stem, putting the reach at around 670mm which at first still felt a little cramped until I moved the seat right back to where it now feels spot on. Therefore, the vantage with a 660mm tt and 30mm stem should (I hope) feel just as comfortable as I prefer a stretched out ride position. Also, the guy in the review describes the 67 deg ha as steep? Now I’m definitely no expert, and it may not be the slackest ha in the world but I’m not so sure I would describe it as steep. Bearing in mind that the bike is also running a 30mm stem which would obviously shift rider weight again further behind the front axle. Still an interesting article though, as what feels right for one person might be completely wrong for someone else. I messaged a guy on YouTube who had posted a video on his and he said he absolutely loved it so the proof of the pudding as they say… My current hardtail is a 2005 kona caldera with 120mm forks, 70mm stem and by today’s standards relatively steep geometry so I’m expecting a massive change there. Hope you are happy with yours when you get it anyway Chris, I’d be interested to hear your opinion once you’ve put it through its paces!

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve been ruminating about one for a while. Not decided yet.

pinetree
    Free Member

Have been thinking about one of these for a while, as I fancy a hardtail again, and this one is pretty cheap really (and it looks pretty cool)

I read that review when it first came out, and like ChrisDW found it a bit odd. It seems completely contradictive, as the journo says that “Forward Geometry is a great concept” but didn’t get on with the geometry.
    He also said it’s got a steep headangle, but I’m not sure I’d agree with that. Since when is 67deg on a hardtail steep? It’s not a goddamn DH bike…

FWIW, a buddy of mine’s got one, but hasn’t finished building it yet. It does look bloody good in the flesh…

scandal42
    Free Member

I believe STW is due to publish a long term review on this, unless I’ve already missed it.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I believe STW is due to publish a long term review on this, unless I’ve already missed it.

Hasn’t happened yet. Few people waiting for it tho! No news on mine so I assume Silverfish have adjusted the expected delivery date. Again.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Mines been delayed another couple of weeks. You heard anything about yours?

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Due to be about mid March from the dates i was given for my frame delivery – had the full R spec bike in already.

mcgoo
    Free Member

Was told by dealer they would be getting it in stock on the 27th March. Spoke to them yesterday as nothing had materialised and now its going to be ‘about’ another 3 weeks. hmmmmm…..

chrisdw
    Free Member

I have the 13th as a delivery date. But I was told that almost a week ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesnt materialise again.
    Hopefully its worth the wait!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Anyone got their frame yet??

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

Rode a demo today (the RR full bike version) and I liked it! I currently ride a Bfe with 150 float 34’s up. I think The Vantage is faster or at least felt more stable going faster I guess the length and bigger wheels helped! In fact I was faster on the vantage on a trail I ride regularly than I was on an SB6 and a carbon foxy (which I also took for a spin today)! If bought one I’d want beefier forks and shimano brakes!

chrisdw
    Free Member

That’s good to hear. What size did you ride and how tall are you?
    Pikes and SLX brakes should be good then!

GregMay
    Free Member

I have one. It is tasty in so many ways 🙂

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

I rode the Large and I’m 6′ felt spot on! Pikes and SLX would be perfect. I’m wondering If I can afford to buy a Frameset, some S/H 34’s, and a pair of 650b rims (to build some wheels on my hope hubs) thne sell the Bfe!

chrisdw
    Free Member

If you can get hold of a frame set! Still waiting for mine!
    Nice to hear some positive words tho. I was fed up of bikes being far too short i be always felt very perched. So thought this would be just the thing.
    I’ve got the whole build waiting. Cost about 1500 I think. So bit cheaper than the whole bike with my component choices.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

yeah I reckon I could get a rolling chassis up and running for £700 if I’m patient, Just whether I can get (most) of that back on the Bfe or not!

Dave
    Free Member

The long awaited update. There’s a review of a complete bike in the next Mag too…

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/long-termers-daves-mondraker-vantage-rr-part-two/

dirtydog
    Free Member

@Dave What did you use to fit the DSP grips, looking for an alternative to Windex?

Cheers Neil

Dave
    Free Member

What did you use to fit the DSP grips, looking for an alternative to Windex?
    generic window cleaner…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Got mine all built up. Just got the reverb hose to sort out. Will get a pic up soon. But first impressions of the ‘up the road’ test seem good. Might need some riser bars instead of my flat ones as the front is really low; even with the 150 forks.

devash
    Free Member

I was fortunate to have a quick spin on one of these recently. Absolutely loved everything about its high on my list for next bike.

dirtydog
    Free Member

generic window cleaner…

Nice one!

Was reluctant to use it as most seem contain vinegar (acetic acid), not sure how it would react with carbon bars and the grips themselves.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

My frame arrives in the next couple of days. I’m going back to hardtail after a brief fling with a full suss hussy. Not sure why, think I like the simplicity of a hardtail. Got an absolute bargain as well off a french retailer (assuming it arrives in one piece).

Does the frame come with the rear axle? As that is one item less to buy then for the change over of parts.

How low is the front? As I have a 10mm rise Ragley carbon bar I just bought recently so would like to keep that.

Also, any pics of the bikes you guys have?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Been riding mine a while now and I love it. Way more fun than my spicy before. Fantastic on steep trails. And actually faster for me too. Will but a pic up later, I’m using 20mm Renthal risers and a few spacers under stem with 150 forks. Just about high enough now.

Mine came with DT swiss axle, stem, and headset. Headset needed pressing in. The axle also has a couple of loose parts so careful not to lose them. And grease it all up. Makes it much smoother to put in and tighten.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

I’m definitely going to struggle initially then. Low bar, only 130mm travel forks as well. Will be interesting if nothing else. Ideally some Pikes or Fox 34’s would be good. Are you on the stock 30mm stem?

I wonder if there are many choices for shorter ones? Seems the rrp of the 10mm stem is £90, which is slightly insane.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

Also, what do you all think 160mm forks would be like, too much for the frame to take safely, or ‘too slack’ if such a thing exists.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I reckon it will feel ‘racey’!!
    I got a large at 6′ tall. Its fine. Could probably have gone even bigger!

No idea about 160’s. Ive got pikes on mine.

superstu
    Free Member

I really want a go on one of these

moneytrain81
    Free Member

That’s my worry, I don’t want it to feel racey as such. Ah well, I’ve seen some 160mm forks for a good price so may go with them to get the front up a bit, I’m sure the frame won’t crack or anything.

I love how it looks though, single ring, dropper, contis . . . All parts I have ready to put on mine.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Maybe aggressive is a better term! I managed the Dyfi Enduro in reasonable comfort on mine having thought id have mega neck ache at the end! Much comfier than my old Lapierre. Im still getting used to the length. Mainly in how confidence inspiring it is as long as you consciously have your weight a bit further forward.

I had a 2.4 Conti trail king on the front which I have just replaced with a chunky monkey. It looks disappointingly narrow compared to the trail king. But i completely mangled the rear 2.2 TK in a few rides. The 2.4 carcass is much stiffer for some reason. Just for reference tho, the 2.4 will just about fit in the back! Which is cool!

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m debating selling my medium if anyone is interested… I’d like it longer 🙂

moneytrain81
    Free Member

I’ve just put a 2.4 Trail King on the front wheel and have a 2.2 Mountain King on the back a couple of rides old, so they are ready to go when the frame arrives. Is that an On-One Chunky Monkey? Didn’t know they did 27.5 versions now, was wanting one of them a while ago.

How is climbing on it? Heard some say a bit skittish, then some say it is excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden a Mondraker Vantage???’ is closed to new replies.