Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone returned/replaced a Cycle to Work bike?
  • afrothunder88

Hello all,

I took delivery of a Cannondale Trail SL on our Cycle to Work scheme in Sept that whilst a great ride has been mechanically, supremely annoying. The eccentric BB has to be tightened on a 3 day basis before the chain becomes so loose it’ll jump off, now to top it off, the circlip that holds the bolt in to allow the BB to be adjusted has fallen out so I have no way to adjust it anymore. On top of that, the lockring that holds the rear cog on has unscrewed itself all the way so the cog is currently floating around on the rear hub. Guess I’ll be pushing it home tonight.

Yes, I could replace the BB, but I’d have to buy parts to allow me to remove the existing one, and I’ll be damned if I put the same piece of **** back in there so I’ll be around £100 down.

Ideally, I’d like to return it and choose a different bike, anyone ever done similar? I know I’m probably in for a world of bureaucratic paint but it would be nice to have a bike that can handle a 6 mile round trip 5 days a week without doing its best to fall apart.

Cheers!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Surely it’s just a warranty issue . The fact that it’s a scheme bike makes no difference to how the shop you got it from handle problems

aP
    Free Member

Why don’t you take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it?

Trimix
    Free Member

+1

scotroutes

Yep – what did the shop do to resolve your problem?

afrothunder88

Done online, although the shop in question is 1.5 hours away so I suppose that’s not out of the question.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Done online”

and did this arrive fully assembled or was it still packed up with the forks on backwards and needing the handlebars/front caliper fitted

Was the shop a box shifter such as pauls cycles or was the bike PDI’d then reboxed ?

sounds suspiciously like this bike hasnt been PDI’d proper at the shop (if at all) and then assembled into a bike like shape at home.

afrothunder88

Fully assembled, only had to turn the bars. I made sure to check all bolts before I even sat on the thing. Doesn’t seems to have made much of a difference regarding the BB though.

I suspect the shop in question is more of a box shifter.

Doh1Nut

You are using a C2W bike to actually cycle to work – Thats your problem right there 🙂

cookeaa

The one and only C2W bike I ever owned I replaced the wheels, bars stem, and tyres while it was still not technically mine…

After I owned it I ended up replacing the rear Mech, cranks , rear wheel another two times and front wheel once…

I might as well have not bothered and bought a decent bike to start with…

Not a fan of C2W persoanlly…

As for returning it and/or asking for repairs it’s failed under warranty you might not technically own it but it’s still only a couple of months old and subject to SOGA So you should be able to get things sorted FOC, obviously it’ll cost you time though…

monkeyboyjc

I had a cannondale with the same EBB, the c clip came out on mine too – cost pence to replace. I don’t see why the the c clip coming out would force you to replace the BB. Take the EBB out clean it up, replace the c clip (.99p) and use a light bit of grease to put it all back together. Used my bike for a year of commuting with 0 problems with the EBB.

Sounds like you bought a bike on line and used it a fair bit since with out any general maintenance or checking/tightening of bolts? – something would have more than likely loosened on any bike you bought.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not a fan of C2W persoanlly…

Eh? Sorry I can’t understand, please explain….
    A discounted bike on monthly payments. What’s not to like?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone returned/replaced a Cycle to Work bike?’ is closed to new replies.