• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone replaced (repaired) a cush drive on ZZR600?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Pretty sure my cush drive is v tired. Fancy having a go at packing it out with some inner tube / car mats.

Any tips / pointers of doing this?

Ta

therevokid
    Free Member

I’d personally not go down that route …. I’d replace them.
    mandp do complete sets for about 50-60 notes.

an alternative that I’ve used in emergencies is to cut up an
    old belt to pack out the cush rubber. I’ve used leather belts
    twice now 🙂 Not tried the inner tube idea though.

Sancho
    Free Member

I packed mine with thin Brass strips seemed to work well and improved the ride.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I’m sorry maybe I’m missing something here, how does a cush drive affect ride quality, all it does is cushion the takeup on the sprocket?!?!

Sancho
    Free Member

In exactly the way you just mentioned
    the take up is better and smoother so accelerating out of corners is smoother down shifts smoother etc so the quality of the ride is improved.

hopefiendboy

wow, I was also interested in this for my zzr600.

STW, a font of knowledge for all areas of 2 wheeled life!

I was considering the innertube road as opposed to dropping 60 quid on rubbers for it.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks, am I right in thinking I whip the wheel off, lift the sprocket and there it is?

momo

Aus – Member

thanks, am I right in thinking I whip the wheel off, lift the sprocket and there it is?

Yep, pull out the sprocket carrier and you expose the cush drive.

boblo
    Free Member

I did mine on my ex ZZR1100 a few years ago. It was around £30 for the part and took 5 mins to fit and another 10 mins to get the wheel off, on and aligned. Sprocket carrier off, old rubber thingy out, new rubber thingy in. P.O.P.

boblo
    Free Member

I did mine on my ex ZZR1100 a few years ago. It was around £30 for the part and took 5 mins to fit and another 10 mins to get the wheel off, on and aligned. Sprocket carrier off, old rubber thingy out, new rubber thingy in. P.O.P.

takisawa2

This thread needs pics of your ZZR’s, past & present. 😉

br
    Free Member

Just buy a new one, not worth pi55ing around with something that’s got upwards of 100bhp going through it.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … rather shamefaced, 😳 I tightened my chain a touch and that seems to have helped significantly

rickmeister

Well heres my take on it…

The OEM cush drive went baggy pretty quickly in under 20k miles. (160 bhp going through mine if the dyno chart is to believed).

Whip the back wheel off. Pull the sprocket carrier and sprocket off. Cut up the thickest inner tube you can find into squares. Stick these to the cush drive with glue. Lube the metal blade of the sprocket carrier with fairy liquid so it slides in easily to the snug gap between the rubber. Make sure the carrier when replaced is a good snug fit.

Remount and tighten up the back wheel.

Seems to have worked and is still working for the 74,000 miles since I did it…… currently on 94,000, original clutch and engine not been out of the frame or split….

No pics of mine immediately available so here’s Mrs Rickmeister’s heavily re worked XT 600

Aus
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, removed the wheel and cush, slipped some strips of inner tube into the worn cush area, refitted and, loads better. Really noticeable. How long it’ll last I don’t know, but easy to do so thanks for the guidance

hopefiendboy

cheers for the update- I’ll have a shot at mine some point this week I think. Did you use regular mtb innertube?

P

Aus
    Free Member

It was easier than I imagined (a small block of wood under the wheel when removing is worthwhile). And yes, used MTB inner tube.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone replaced (repaired) a cush drive on ZZR600?’ is closed to new replies.