Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone replaced a fork stanchion? Pace rc39 or any fork?
  • griffiths1000
    Free Member

I recently bought a worn set of Pace rc39 forks off here, stanchion coating is worn through to the aluminium on one side.
    Got a qoute from Pace for a service and replacement stanchions £250!!! not including post both ways.

Only paid £30 for the forks so plan to try a rebuild myself. I once replaced a steerer tube by heating the crown gently with a gas torch then pressing the old one out and the new one in in a vice/various spacers etc. It worked a treat and have been running them ever since.

Just wondering if anyone had done a similar thing with stanchion tubes? and wondering if there is any sources for coated aluminium stanchion tubes?

Speshpaul

I’ve got several pairs on pace forks that i look after that have worn through the coating, its fairly common. Unlike fox it doesn’t knacker the fox.
    Just drop the lowers off a regular intervals and keep them clean.
    Pace themselves haven’t got much in the way of spares they have to buy stantions off DT.
    Try fork English for your pace spares, Tim is ex pace.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have wondered if you could get them hard chromed – you can get this done for motorcycle forks – they grind ’em down a few thou and then put a thick layer of hard chrome on them. I had a set done a good few years ago at £80 each

griffiths1000
    Free Member

don’t think they can hard chrome aluminium stanchions, according to one motor cycle fork place anyway.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Price sounds about right. Few years ago I had an 06 RC39 which had a stanchion come loose in the crown, quoted over £200 for service and repair from Pace so held onto them while I mulled it over. Ended up forgetting about them, found them last year in the wardrobe and put them on fleabay (fully described as knackered) starting at 99p. Sold for £120. Madness.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

griffiths1000

Ta – I sort of assumed not as no one had done it

griffiths1000
    Free Member

any offers over £120 and you are welcome to them! 😆

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Anyone used Fork English? Are their fork rebuild prices any better than pace?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I suspect Tim probably sources bits like this from Pace. So the answer’s probably, no.

I once replaced a steerer tube by heating the crown gently with a gas torch then pressing the old one out and the new one in in a vice/various spacers

You are brave! 😯

griffiths1000
    Free Member

i removed the good steerer from a knackered pair of forks first and it worked fine so i was fairly confident it would work the same on the set i was aiming to keep but must admit my heart was racing a bit turning the torch on the decent pair! 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone replaced a fork stanchion? Pace rc39 or any fork?’ is closed to new replies.