Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone rented a cottage in the South of France?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Has anyone rented a cottage in the South of France that they would recommend? Looking around late April early May time for a 10-14 day holiday with the usual relaxing and site seeing involved and think South of France could fit the bill. Cheers

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

can’t recommend a cottage as we stay in a friends cottage but i can highly recommend the area around Le Vigan in the Cevenne. it’ll be lush at that time of year and has a huge mix of things to see in an easy drive, great markets and very very few english people 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

Do they rent it out? 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We had really nice house near Carcasonne last summer. It is actually a 3 bedroom house with 2 two bedroom cottages attached. Nice walled garden with swimming pool and parking for 3 cars. It sleeps 10/12 people with comfort. Not sure how many you are taking.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

they don’t but there are loads of gites and cottages to rent round there

try http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/ , specifically http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/herault.htm

if you can find something within a mile of le vigan you’ll be able to trundle into town to pick up peaches as big as your head and fresh bread for breakfast. there’s rivers to swim in, amazing historical sites, mountains etc

Albanach
    Free Member

Just the 2 of us…honeymoon trip.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It sleeps 10/12 people

Honey moon trip with a bunch of consenting adults?

;-0

wetgrassagain
    Free Member

We stayed in a villa in a small village just outside Perpignan last summer, up in the mountains. It was quite large though and slept eight, so may be a bit big for your needs.

Really nice area – clean air, mountain views, not far from the sea, plenty of places to see, plenty of biking and VERY, VERY quiet.

We booked through a website called Owners Direct (google it) this gives you a choice of places by region and accomodation size, plus of course you are booking direct with the owners so cost is good.

WGA

cxi
    Free Member

We spent a week last summer in Caunes-Minverois. Lovely sleepy village, we even joined in the Bastille Day celebrations. I quite enjoyed the routine of wandering into the village each morning for fresh bread.

At the recommendation of the owners of gite we stayed in, we ate at l’Oustal de Citou one night. Tiny village just up the road from Caunes. As the link says, it’s a very small restaurant with a fixed menu each night. One of the best meals I’ve ever had, anywhere.

Some fantastic history in the area with the Cathar castles. Great Grottes (caves) to visit too – Cabrespine is one, the Grotte de Limousis another. Some great wine glug to as well (of course!).

nasher
    Free Member

If you want a house to rent in the mountains on the Italian side, then drop me an email.

rich_tee
    Free Member

I’m in France south of Perpignan and have some contacts with property owners in the local area.

drop me a mail if you’re interested.

Rich

marty
    Free Member

not a cottage, but this place comes highly recommended by a friend of mine:
    http://www.provencebedandbreakfast.com/

DrJ

We have rented a few places via http://www.susanparadise.co.uk/ and always been very pleased with the outcome.

MrGreedy
    Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys much appreciated a lot of food for thought. Nasher and rich_tee pretty interested in hearing more but can’t find email addresses in your profile but I’ll keep looking, mine should be in my profile if you have any better luck than me in finding them.

andywhit
    Free Member

Stayed here for a week. Rather large for just the two of you (but other properties are available in the same village). Palairac has no shops/bars though and it’s an event if a car passes through. A bloke in a van passes through each morning selling bread/croissant etc – that’s it.

rich_tee
    Free Member

Albanach,
    I’m also having trouble finding email addresses in profiles.
    Is this new thing as I have loaded mine on the profile but it isn’t appearing.
    mine is dickie_tee at htomaildotcom

juan
    Free Member

what and where are you looking for?
    X

pistonbroke
    Free Member

If you want something off the beaten track this http://www.laboucoule.com is heartily recommended. They have various options from sleeping 4 to 14, the swimming pool has got to be seen to be believed and there is great mountainbiking literally from the doorstep. Its at the foot of Mt Ventoux and 10 mins walk from Montbrun Les Bains in lavender country. Owners are Dutch and very laid back, will cook for you if you want. Best Gite type place I have ever stayed at.

nasher
    Free Member

albanach my email is info AT rivierabike DOT co DOT uk or send me one from here

Albanach
    Free Member

nasher and rich YGM!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rented a cottage in the South of France?’ is closed to new replies.