• This topic has 33 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by csb.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone renewed a passport recently?
  • Cougar

How long did it take? I’m looking to go on hollibobs in a month’s time, have I left it too late?

jambourgie
    Free Member

No idea. Have you already sent it orf? Can you still go to Liverpool/Peterborough and do it on the day?

bruneep

did mine online easy peasy back within 2 weeks

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

No. You’ve got plenty of time. Apply using the method where its checked and sent from the Post Office.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It should take 3 weeks IIRC, so you might be cutting it fine….

I did my last one in person, in Victoria, on a same day service. Needed it quickly to get a visa for a work trip. Wasn’t cheap (although I didn’t pay!) but was v quick!

luke
    Free Member

Priority service back in a week, did as it said on the tin when used a couple of months back.

geoffj

I did ours last week. Check and send at the post office on Saturday and they were on the doormat when I got back in from work on Thursday. I think the official line is 3 weeks. Ours went to Glasgow, dunno if the scousers are as quick!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mrs did hers last Feb and turned around within a couple of weeks, I think that was to do with maybe a slower holiday period though. But since we’ve just come out of the main holiday season I’d say you’ve got plenty of time without spending more for the privilege of having it back within the same timescale as my Mrs.

IME, well the Mrs’s.

andytherocketeer

online, 2 weeks tops, including the time for me to get photos sorted. that was back in march/april.

and that was from overseas, with just plain recorded delivery to send the photos and old passport back, no express DHL or anything.

beta website for overseas was a bit beta though. but still handy in that the entire application is online, so all that’s in the post to them is photos, old passport and a signature.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It varies depending upon how much demand there is on the Passport office is at any given time. But assuming yours is a bog standard renewal, and your appearance has not changed significantly then it should be fairly straight forward and only take 10 days to 2 weeks unless there has been an signficant increase in applications recently. If you want to be sure and don’t mind paying a small price you can book an appointment with your local passport office and get it done there and then.

cp

Did mine a few months ago via post office check and send. Had new passport back 6 working days after I sent it.

BlobOnAStick

DO IT ONLINE!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting, but this is by FAR the better way of doing it. I did it and was amazed how easy it was (esp as I’d signed-off a neighbours passport renewal application a week before) recently done within 2 weeks by my wife.

kelron
    Free Member

Did mine online, took about 5 days total (didn’t pay for fast track).

bruneep

If its a renewal get it done online, ignore the selfie ban on pics mine worked just fine

jimmy

Did mine online, non-priority, back in a week. Brilliant service.

Cougar

Thanks all.

I should’ve said,

I’ve already done the renewal online and paid for it, that’s a done deal. I just need to print it out and add the photos, I’ll swing by work tomorrow and do that (that’s where the photos are, I foolishly assumed that “apply online” meant “apply online” rather than “apply online but then do it by post anyway”).

I was asking really whether it was safe to start booking things. It says three weeks on the website, but wasn’t sure whether they were real weeks or public sector weeks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

but wasn’t sure whether they were real weeks or public sector weeks.

It seems the answer to that is, “It depends….”, sadly!

Cougar

Bottoms.

I’m looking to travel in five weeks. Probably safe to chance it… right?

zigzag69
    Free Member

“apply online” does mean apply online – or it did when we did ours in May. Upload your new photo, pay and submit, and stick the old passport in the post. Ours took just under 2 weeks if I remember right.

onewheelgood

Did mine in the spring, probably peak time, it was back in 9 days.

bruneep

online is online thought you were IT proficient 😉

geoffj

real weeks or public sector weeks.

What’s a public sector week?

CraigW
    Free Member

The ‘new’ online renewal service lets you upload photos. The old online service still means you need to print it out and post the form and photos.
    It seems the new online renewal is not available to everyone yet.

BlobOnAStick

“Got to print it out”????!!!!

WOT YOU TALKING ABOUT MAN?

Do it online! Argh!

iainc

Used the ‘new’ online version six months or so back, all done online, photo on iPhone in kitchen and uploaded, passport back in about a week.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Online (haha) or I recently did the one week service where you book an appointment, drop off all the forms and get it posted back in 4/5 days and that was peak / July / Aug 8)

nickc

should be OK, as long as you’re not changing anything.

tomaso
    Free Member

Done three online and max was two weeks and that was in June prior to summer rush.

pyranha

Renewed mine a few months ago – the embassy were quoting 10+ weeks turnaround because of all the people suddenly realising they’re Irish following the referendum. Thankfully, it seems renewals are a bit quicker (or they were managing expectations).

ross980
    Free Member

Just had 3 done. Mine (lost & expired), eldest child (renewal) and youngest child (first passport). Took a week and a half from check+send at Post Office to receiving them back.

Cougar

What’s a public sector week?

About a fortnight.

The ‘new’ online renewal service lets you upload photos. The old online service still means you need to print it out and post the form and photos.

Clearly I’m using the old one then. It said I was using the new Beta version too. Dafuq?

Cougar

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I renewed mine in July. Everything done online, it took four days from posting my old one back to receiving my new one.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

csb

Have you gone through one of those fake-official middlemen?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Anyone renewed a passport recently?’ is closed to new replies.