• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • anyone remember the old classic cars that had a paper part to show the speedo…
  • racefaceec90

speed?

i remember back in the 70’s early 80’s my grandfather had a car that had a strip of paper for the speedo. it went from black to orange (to indicate the speed). the speedo was a long rectangle.

cannot think what the car was tbh (something like a vauxhall viva/hillman imp e.t.c type car i think.

nickjb
    Free Member

A few Volvos had something like that

wwaswas

Citroen did a drum speedo on some models?

Edukator
    Free Member

The Austin 1100/1300 basic models.

Edit: as for “classic”; the subframes rotted and fell out, the idler gear bearings failed, lay shaft bearings howled, the seal leaked oil onto the clutch, oil soon required more topping up than the petrol tank, the hydro suspension couldn’t cope with luggage/heavy people in the back. The Allegro that replaced it was a better car.

Pigface
    Free Member

edukator is on the money, parents had an Austin 1300.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The Allegro that replaced it was a better car.”

and thats something no one says lightly…..

imp999
    Free Member

Austin 1100/1300 was one of Britain’s best ever selling cars – perhaps THE greatest.
    Lazy styling.
    Make a slightly bigger one – Maxi
    Make an even bigger one – Princess land crab.
    I have a perverse liking of the Allegro estate/hearse.

racefaceec90

ah it could well have been an austin 1100/1300 🙂

well i thought they were classics anyhoo 😳

slowoldgit
    Free Member

RF – ribbon gauges, ISTR

kcal

I learnt to drive in my folks’ beige (natch) Allegro estate. It was, as said above, like a mini-hearse.

They then got a Citroen GSA estate, much more fun, had the rotating drum speedo, wacky..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘anyone remember the old classic cars that had a paper part to show the speedo…’ is closed to new replies.