Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone regularly take their dog cycling?
  • matther01
    Free Member

I have an 18 month old springer/lab cross who doesn’t stop running and never gets tired. He’s an ex-working dog (…no not a prostitute) and wondered what the etiquette is for training him to come with me (or not).

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve a springer who love coming with me …..he didn’t seem to need much training I just went out on my own with him for a few months and went at his pace ……he runs in front of me it’s handy if you have a hope hub cos he keeps going until he hears it go silent and then knows to look around or slow down a bit

Conan257
    Free Member

My dog can’t ride a bike….

sp
    Free Member

Teach him then

yodagoat
    Free Member

I take my parent’d dog cycling. He’s fine. If he goes the wrong way I tell him and he goes the right way. He loves it.

rickon
    Free Member

Used to take our two collies out all the time, one of ours would run himself ragged without complaining – I think his longest ride is about 50km…

But… I wont take him out on anything hardpack now, or any length over 20km. It really is just too high impact on their joints, and I’d rather have a healthy active dog for longer.

I should also say he’s bred for working and agility, with an exceptional hip score – but I’m still more reserved with him now.

Soft, local trails for a couple of hours are spot on really.

With regard to taking him out, is he good off lead? how’s his recall?

I’d be looking for a strong recall first, then take him out for a walk with the bike and just see how he reacts to it without you riding it… then ride with him. If you ride slow enough, and do whack him, he’ll soon give you distance – without you actually hurting him.

Try not to stop too suddenly on fast descents, or you may find he stops with you and pulls something.

I may sound cautious, but riding with your dog his high impact for long periods of time; so just be sensible and start off small and easy.

In terms of wearing them out, I find my very energetic collie is far more tired from 5-7 hours walking in the hills compared to when he’s been 4 hours out on the bike. Even more so if we’ve been working his brain.

busydog
    Free Member

Saw a guy riding along a fairly smooth bike path with 2 labs tethered to the bike by those bungee-cord-like tethers. Brother jackrabbit jumped up alongside the trail and took off–as did the labs followed by an airborne biker as they pulled bike instantly sideways

scotchegg
    Free Member

Just don’t take an un-trained dog to trail centre’s/cycle path’s. It is most horrid for both owner and “offender” when a little doggy goes under a wheel.

My cocker is mad as a box of frogs and I wouldn’t put him on any one else.

charliedontsurf

Me and olive go beach riding, she likes to chase seagulls, and with a fat bike we can share this hobby.

This is a bit of fat bike sand dune crash dog walking footage…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0MHrQzvZU[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We used to take our staffie out a lot. She was well trained but we avoided really busy times at trail centres etc. I did have to carry her back a few times when we went too far. Take a collapsible water bowl and some dry food to keep them going. Sometimes there is very little drinkable water out there.

With regard to other threads there are issues taking dogs off lead in open areas & farm land so be aware of that too. You may be asked to put the dog on a lead and that leads to a very dull long walk for a bit.

Start small, have an escape plan and start when it’s quiet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone regularly take their dog cycling?’ is closed to new replies.