Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone recovered a saddle?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have a fabric ibeam sdg bel air which has worn through on the nose quite badly. Saddle itself is still comfy so wouldn’t mind recovering if thats possible.

Anyone done this? tips or guides you know about?

bratty

I have recovered 2 leather saddles. Each time the leather was ripped or torn and came off easily enough leaving the foam underneath. Then I just used to old cover to cut our a new leather cover and glued it on. The first time I used epoxy resin, the second leather glue from wilkos. The epoxy has lasted years, the other seems ok but it has only been a couple of months. As for leather, the first time I got off cuts from an upholsterers, the second was an old leather couch that was thrown out. I found the leather quite slippy at first, but then it was not so bad. I did not staple anything, just glued and it seemed to be ok – i plastered glue all over the leather so it was well stuck on.

Hope this helps.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks bratty I’ll give it a go, sounds like a nice little project!

JoeG
    Free Member

I recently recovered a WTB saddle inspired by this thread. I used Elmer’s spray adhesive for most of it and contact cement to attach the leather to the plastic shell; no staples at all. Leather was remnants from ebay.

Mine was a WTB Laser, and the original cover consisted of 5 or 6 pieces. I couldn’t replicate the original’s contours with a single piece of leather, so I ended up with 2 small folds in the leather on the rear of the saddle.

I have not tried it on the bike yet, though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recovered a saddle?’ is closed to new replies.