Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone recommend a free GPS app for iPhone that exports coordinates via email?
  • TheSpeedySnail
    Free Member

I’m looking at the impact that employee commuting makes on companies carbon footprints and need to find a free GPS app for iPhones that exports (via email) the coordinate data (either CSV or GPX). My point of reference is “My Tracks” for Android (which I have).

The idea is to complement standard surveys about journey’s to work (self reported) with actual distance travelled (collected over one or two weeks using gps apps in iPhones and Android smart phones) and then pop the data (coordinates) into a geographic information system (GIS) to see if any differences are significant or not.

FYI: this is for an outreach/knowledge transfer project at Glasgow Caledonian University. More from: http://www.sfd.org.uk/ . The data will help with a couple of student projects (not mine) and may result in a sciency-type article.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

jam-bo

motionX used to be free, not sure if it is now.

GrahamS

Sadly MotionX GPS is now an extortionate 69p 😀

Has the OP considered the issues with losing GPS signal (e.g. what if journeys to work involve travel on the underground?)

TheSpeedySnail
    Free Member

Thanks jam bo & GrahamS,

Underground is not a problem, as likely participants are in Scotland and only Glasgow has an underground… will test what happens on way home.

druidh
    Free Member

Why does it have to be via email?

An app like Endomondo/My Tracks could be used in offline mode, with an upload at the end of the journey. The route can then be exported.

Or, just get a hold of the phone at the end of the recording period and just upload all the GPX files straight from there.

GrahamS

Aye it was the Glasgow underground I was thinking of. 😀
    I guess you can probably hand crank the data a bit if you have an idea where they were going.

The other concern may be battery life. GPS is fairly hard on battery life, especially on the older iPhones with higher power requirements.

There is a myTracks available for iPhone (free) – no idea if it is the same as the ‘droid version though

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mytracks-the-gps-logger/id358697908?mt=8

TheSpeedySnail
    Free Member

druidh: the above request app would be for folk that don’t have GPS on their phone, so we’re trying to keep it simple (like forwarding an email ). we’ll accept GPX/CSV files from other apps, but will not provide (limiteD) instructions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend a free GPS app for iPhone that exports coordinates via email?’ is closed to new replies.