Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone recommend any Children's books for evolution
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Little miss cloudnine seems to be getting taught a lot about god at school and nothing about how the world actually evolved. Anyone care to recommend a good book or info on how to explain to a 6 year old that god didnt make the earth in 6 days and maybe the story of Adam being the first man may not be the whole truth.

Evolution isnt an easy concept to explain to a 6 year old (even with a degree in biology… me not her obviously)

fourbanger
    Free Member

Just watched an episode of Cosmos on evolution. Might be a little deep for a six year old, but worth a watch I’d say. Episode 2.

vickypea
    Free Member

There’s a good website about Darwin aimed at kids by one of the colleges at Cambridge university. If you search on “evolution for kids” it comes up.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Get hold of the Magic of Reality by Dawkins. Too old for her to read, but will help you find the words..and the artwork is ace. Donate a copy to school library too.

johndoh
    Free Member

Rather than a book, why not sit down and discuss things with her (not trying to be patronising). One of my girls is 5 and is fascinated with the war (most nights we read books about the war at bedtime – Antony Beevor and the like) and I am pretty honest about what happened so maybe you could do the same – just ask her what she thinks, tell her what you think, allow her to absorb it?

cloudnine
    Free Member

We do talk about all sorts (how lightening causes thunder last night).. not god clanging around and tidying up which church going MIL had told her.

How the world was created and how we evolved isnt an easy topic to explain unless you use the right words and explanations.

There is a new headmistress at school and she seems very intent on bringing religion into the school. Which is fine as long as it is balanced with science and reality.

Dawkins books ordered thanks..

vickypea
    Free Member

Religion shouldn’t really have to be “balanced with reality” if it’s taught properly. Christianity for example is entirely compatible with science and evolution. It shouldn’t have to be an either/or thing.

dknwhy

My boy is reading “Pebble in my pocket” at school. He’s 7. Might be what you’re looking for.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I agree.. but teaching small children about religion like its fact doesn’t really sit very comfortably with me.

johndoh
    Free Member

I agree – it’s undeniably not fact yet it is still taught. I hope my girls work it out for themselves like I did.

kimbers

Christianity for example is entirely compatible with science and evolution

????
    would that be the bit where god created the world in 6 days, the virgin birth or even the bit where jesus was crucified then got up for a stroll a few days later?

dont get me wrong we all grow up with cool stories as kids, santa, the hobbit, spiderman, harry potter im not sure that it should be taught in school without making it clear that its all just a fantasy

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, you can believe we evolved. And have Christmas.

mikey74
    Free Member

Christianity for example is entirely compatible with science and evolution.

But it isn’t is it? Christianity is based on superstition and mythology: The complete antithesis of science.

I’d stay away from Dawkins: He’s a headline seeking egotist.

hoodoo
    Free Member

Mrs H here (PHD Biological Scientist). Perhaps if you are not comfortable with the school teaching creationalism you should discuss this with them or reconsider your choice of school. We ourselves removed two excellent schools from our choice based on their attachment to religious establishments. Otherwise you have your parenting work loaded trying to balance the fact from religious fiction. I agree talking with your children is the best, science museum visits with exhibits that aid the understanding and fossil hunts are great fun too. As for books we have a beautiful copy “Charles Darwin and the Beagle Adventure” By A.J Wood & Clint Twist with Extracts from C. Darwin.

martinhutch

If the school is actively teaching creationism or Christianity as fact, then I can certainly understand why you might want to balance that out or challenge it. There’s a requirement to teach evolution at Key Stage 2, but I’m sure I’d want to get stuck in at age 6 in your circumstances.

I’d agree with the talking approach, perhaps using animal examples from books she already has, and getting her to ask why that animal turned out the way it did. I’m not sure whether there is a cosy explanation for the Gruffalo, though. 😀

I think the biggest challenge is the sheer scale of the concept of evolutionary time.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I agree.. but teaching small children about religion like its fact doesn’t really sit very comfortably with me.#

Lighten up. As soon as they see you sneaking around dressed as Father Christmas, stinking of sherry with crumbs of mince pie in your beard,they’ll start doubting everything to do with Christmas, and other fairy stories.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend any Children's books for evolution’ is closed to new replies.