Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • anyone recommend a book on mushroom picking
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

As above my mrs want to pick her own mushrooms but does not know which are safe etc.

I do not want my will to become valid due to food poisoning so I would prefer er “safe fungi”

Any recommendations please

Jamie
    Free Member

…supposed to be the go to book on these things. Heard about it on R4 You & Yours last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015zq2y

kanza
    Free Member

Look up the paul staments websites, join forum and explore friend. Be careful out there.

mtbfix

Probably go with someone who knows what they are doing initially.

hamsolo
    Free Member

Phillips is the authority (now available as an app too iirc), but it’s better to cross reference with another one. The river cottage mushrooms one is pretty good too.
    Best to go with someone who has their eye in though, and perhaps stick to ones you are confident with IDing to start….oh and steer clear of field mushrooms, too much opportunity for miss identification with ones which will make you ill!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

always keep one from every lot you eat – makes it easier for the coroner

restless
    Free Member

I spent many a time in my youth picking mushrooms …very enjoyable experience. 😀

I think a book is a good idea if she doesn’t want to pick the wrong sort.

timidwheeler

My local wildlife trust publishes one on the most common local fungi. If you near Ox, Bucks or Berks have a look on their website. It isn’t a stand a line guide, and I always take two different books. At the moment I take the River Cottage one as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

I use this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mushroom-Book-Thomas-Laesse/dp/0789410737/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_4

It’s my dads. We pick quite a bit of fungi between us. He also has another book which goes for uber safety by saying NEVER pick mushrooms with gills, and therefore you will never die from them. Only gilled mushrooms are fatal, but it does exclude quite a few staple fungi that I eat. SO a bit draconian. Must try and find the title for you…

SamCooke
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Found it. This one:

http://www.merlinunwin.co.uk/bookDetails.asp?bookId=61&categoryId=1

Its a good book to start with since as long as you follow it;s rules, you cannot mis-identify a seriously poisonous mushroom as an edible one.

Mugboo

Bought my missus the River Cottage book but even he says that he uses 30 books to cross reference. In other words, we aren’t brave enough to risk it!

Do you wanna buy a River Cottage book? 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

i am also interested in this topic….

supposedly you can find them down south above 900m. i need some educating.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘anyone recommend a book on mushroom picking’ is closed to new replies.