• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone recognise these taps? Need cartridges.
  • globalti
    Free Member

Bought these years ago from a shop that’s now disappeared. I thought they were Crosswater but can’t find them on the website. They are dripping so I want new cartridges – can anybody name them?

And how would I disassemble them? Any ideas?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There should be a screw on the handles somewhere, usually hidden behind a cap. This will allow you to remove the ends and let you get at the cartridge. Remove cartridge and take that to the plumbers merchants. They should be able to find a replacement.

…just make sure to isolate before attempting 😉

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks. When I built the bathroom I fitted isolators on all the taps.

What’s the likelihood that the cartridges are some kind of universal job?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Unless you know the tap manufacturer, it gets a bit painful, as you have to measure the cartridge, the thread type, and check the spline count.

How do I know which size to order?

We sell the widest range of quarter turn and Half turn ceramic tap valves available anywhere on the web and can usually provide a replacement to match your leaking innard. We even have an extensive range of long stem valves for showers (shower flow cartridges). Our first question is “do you know the manufacturer and model of your tap” if “Yes” then we can often tell you which tap valve insert to purchase. Please Contact us for advice. But if “No” then we will need you to remove the cartridge to check the dimensions.

How do I determine the thread size?

Once you have the ceramic tap cartridge out you need to identify the thread size. In the UK 95% of taps are either BSP 1/2″ (Basin size) or 3/4″ (Bath size). The BSP “British Pipe Standard ” doesn’t refer to any physical dimension, which is very confusing and is why we display all the dimensions in mm. Our 1/2″ valves measure 18mm diameter across the bottom and 20.9mm across the thread, whereas the 3/4″ measure 24mm across the bottom and 26.4mm across the thread. We also have a range of Metric 28mm, 34mm and NPT 1/2″ valves

How Many teeth are there on the spline? (This is the stem of the valve)

The next thing to check is the number of teeth on the spline (this is the stem of the valve). It can be tricky to count the teeth by eye, we find the easiest way to count them is to take a photo looking down the stem of the valve and then to count them from the photograph. You will also need to check the diameter of the spline. Most of our valves are 7.6mm dia which is by far the most common diameter size, and fits onto the most common tap handle hole size of 8mm. However, some rarer size valves do have wider spline diamaters and some tap handle manufacturers utilize a plastic adaptor for the handle to fit onto the spline. You will need to keep any plastic spline adaptor and fit this on to the new tap cartridge. If you have broken yours then you will either need to repair it, or use resin putty to mould yourself a new adaptor piece. You can also use this solution if your valve has a wider than normal spline diamater. Please see here for further instructions on doing this How do I make my own handle adaptor piece.

http://www.tapmagician.co.uk/TMDefault.aspx?950

gigawhat
    Free Member

probably no use but we have what look like the same ones. Bought from Tapstore.com (in 2006). They may be bristan?

white101

I needed new valves for a similar style tap in our kitchen, I ended up getting them from a place in Thirsk online, http://www.paini.co.uk they had all sorts

Sundayjumper

A timely thread, our kitchen tap has been dripping for months, but I had no idea where to start looking for new cartridges so I’d mentally filed it in the “CBA” section.

footflaps

Our kitchen tap had been dripping for ages, so I finally got round to trying to get the cartridge out – it wouldn’t budge even clamping in a vice being blow torched to death. In the end I just changed the whole mixer tap unit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Looks like Abode tap designs I’ve seen. maybe serenitie, but they also do a lupus and Antila which look very similar

Speeder

the link to tapmagician posted above is th eonly place you need – they were very helpful with my recent tap related problem.

I can’t see the picture at work but you may find there’s a grub screw hidden underneath the stalk (which unscrews) and that holds the barrel onto the shaft of the gland (those are technical terms rather than me being rude) if they’re anything like mine.

If you can get it out and clean it up there should be a serial number on the gland somewhere and that should help ID it.

I think the standards in Tap glands are almost as numerous as in the bicycle industry.

globalti
    Free Member

Very helpful thanks. Come and collect a free pint, lads.

jimc101
    Free Member

Have you tried just removing & stripping the cartridge, and replacing the washer, worked for me when I had a leaking tap, much cheaper than replacing the whole cartridge.

manton69

If it is ceramic cartridge you only need to strip it, grease it and refit it. I have had several if these ceramic taps go this way and that was all it took to fix.

Worth a try.

Speeder

Just realised that this is the same tap we’ve got in our upstairs bathroom.

If you haven’t yet guessed you just twist the bit below the handles and it’ll undo and pull off the end of the gland. Then just unscrew the gland and measure/read code & replace.

Piece of cake.

blader1611
    Free Member

I would suspect you need new tap glands and not cartridges. You can get these from screwfix for £5.49 a pair. There are a few measurements that you need to know so get one of them out and go on to google to tapmagician for the key measurements you need for buying the right replacement. IANAP

Edit; bongohoohaa has covered the key measures

globalti
    Free Member

Wow, the answers keep coming, and so early in the morning too! Thanks again.

Bear
    Free Member

Look like Sagittarius Avant to me, although a few companies did similar.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recognise these taps? Need cartridges.’ is closed to new replies.