• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone recently setup a PS3 wireless?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So due to my collar bone break I persuaded the wife I *needed* a ps3

Came today and I’ve spent a good 3 hours faffing around with my router trying to get it to work.

Can anyone recommend me a decent online guide – the forums that come up in google seem to be a bit hard to decipher…

(I’ve given the ps3 a static IP, put that IP in the DMZ, that didn’t work and really should have so I’m down to ‘trying things out now’ have tried port forwarding, disabling media servers, updated routers firmware, disabled upnp)

The ps3 gets about 5% through the system download (which takes 45mins) and then bins with an 80710723, tested before hand it has connection and you can get on the net through the browser (mega slow though)

WRT54G linksys router which I’ve been told is not the best…. hardwiring not an option at opposite ends of the house.

And there appears to be bugger all in either manual that cover my problems….grrrr….

Any pointers much appreciated. (written from my laptop which is happily working wireless next to the ps3…)

Saccades
    Free Member

errr….

reset the factory settings (bottom of first column on xmb).

d/l update onto laptop and put on usb stick. use stick to d/l update onto ps3, use triangle to view all files. much quicker than wireless.

then i just manually scanned and got my network, not much help i know.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you need to be in the dmz?

DT78
    Free Member

I put it in the DMZ because it was erroring when it was attempting to download, (connection had been successful before hand) so I thought it must have been firewall settings closing it down. Hats off to sony for writing exceptionally helpful error messages…

The few people I’ve asked just picked up their wireless network and it was fine, so pretty sure it is down to my router and some random setting on it.

Well touch wood it download seems to be slowly working now. Didn’t realise you could download it onto USB and do it that way – didn’t see that mentioned in the manual either! If the current run fails I’ll try that. Ta.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

did mine a long time ago,but i couldn’t get a network signal strong enough to download the updates.
    ran it hardwired, updated, then scanned for network and it all worked fine.

Flaperon

Just “worked” for me. Shouldn’t need to be in any kind of DMZ. A wild guess says you’re on BT Broadband?

Alternative is to download the system update on your PC and install from a USB memory stick.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

From memory doesn’t it need to be something like WAP in some setting or other? Or NOT WAP. Something to do with it I think anyway.

But if you want to game online bin the wireless idea anyway – ping rate too slow and you get killed lots ( in Call of Duty anyway).

DT78
    Free Member

Right it’s bailed at 50% with a new error 8072211008, getting really pissed off with this.

What is the site you download the patches from ? Is it this one?

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-
    software/detail/item305376/Update-features-(ver-3-50)/

Going to try the hard media way….

There is no way I can use the thing hardwired in my front room, the whole point in getting it was it was supposed to work wirelessly… I’ve been trying to sort this since 3pm!

Drac

With me the netgear router wouldn’t work with the ps3. Had to use a third party firmware to get it to work.

Download speeds and gaming on wireless for me work brilliant.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Get the update onto usb and update, then try to connect using easy/auto everything as per normal after you have followed this thread fixed

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just put in the wireless network access key and it worked (BT BTW).

sc-xc

BT wireless here as well. No problems at all – even works upstairs with router downstairs.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

o2 wireless, I just followed the manual and it worked. I think I was just lucky as I’m a tech numpty.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is no way I can use the thing hardwired in my front room

Unless you use those powerline network adapters for your home wiring….. but they are extra cost.

Your router is probably the problem. If you can get online and download half of a file, then security and log on etc work. Have you googled for problems with your router?

Wifi can be an unpredictable beast, lots of hardware just doens’t work well with other bits, which is deeply unsatisfying since it bloody well should 🙁

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

on the thread i link to it mentions turning off the media sharing option as that particular router does not ‘like’ it. lots of the bods with that particular router turn media server off and it works. if you google WRT54G and ps3, lots of people have the same issue.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I did the download onto an SD card, took 5 mins to download on my wireless laptop and 5 mins to upload to the ps3. All seems ok now, been able to get on line with COD, blaming the fact I’m rubbish at it on the wireless ping 🙂

I ended up switching the media servers off, plus moving the ps3 away from the cable box incase that was inteferring. Seems to have done the trick.

What a faff.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recently setup a PS3 wireless?’ is closed to new replies.