• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone 'reamed' out the internal cable guides on a Cube carbon frame?
  • br
    Free Member

I’ve a carbon Cube Stereo (2011) and it has internal gear cable guides.

I want to fit a Reverb Stealth and while there is plenty of daylight around the BB and seattube (and a bottom hole on the down tube) it’d be real handy to be able to fit it internally from the headtube down.

Has anyone reamed out the cable guide (it has an inset ‘washer’ and I can’t quite work out whether it’d be a simple job or I might (structurally) damage it?

Thoughts?

You can just see the cable going into the downtube.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5204/5267205498_1cd7f9292b.jpg

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I did my carbon 29er hardtail frame so I could fit a full length gear outer. Much better shifting as a result. Not the same as your question I know… but the best I could manage.

br
    Free Member

Same idea, as about the same diameter.

Easy?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

On the Cube GTC Reaction carbon frame the toptube guide/hole/boss is formed by the carbon itself, with just a thin washer to stop the ferrule popping through. So I just removed the washer and filed the guide hole bigger using a thin round file. Took about a minute of filing and the hole was then big enough to allow a cable outer to slide through. Surprising easy.

At the exit point on the underside of the downtube, near the BB, is a bigger hole and Cube use a plastic guide/insert to hold the ferrule. I just removed this and made my own ‘bung’ out of a roadie brake block, just to stop any water and crud getting in really.

br
    Free Member

thanks reggie, sounds about the same as I can see – just unsure if there is anything I can’t see

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone 'reamed' out the internal cable guides on a Cube carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.