Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone rate Maverick ML8's or ML7/5's? as an all day bike?
  • taka
    Free Member

i realy like the look of them especially this one..

ML8

and this ML7/5

are they any good as an all day trail bike/ only bike? and how hard are components for them to find and how easy/pricey is the shock to service? and finally how much do the frames sell for 2nd hand?

cheers Tom

sheldona
    Free Member

I have a Durance and had a 7.5 before, there's not a great deal of difference in the two frames. Great all day bike, they ride like a hardtail when climbing but descend like a DH bike. Rear shock is like the forks, totally home serviceable, takes about 30mins to service. Sideways cycles can get parts if needed.

tazzymtb

sideways also offer full rebuilds and servicing of maverick shocks if you don't fancy having a go yourself.

BigR

Is the top one not the Durance? I have built up a ML7/5 recently and so far have been very pleased. It is significantly lighter than the meta 5 it replaced and climbs so much better. I swapped as the meta was a little cramped( I am 6ft 2' and both were large frames) and have no regrets.

taka
    Free Member

yeh it is just realised when i did another google search 😕

vinnyeh

Bottom's probably dropped out of the market at the mo, with the prices JEJames have got on the frames- think a 7.5 went for 200 or 250 on here a few weeks back.

beaker

Last November I bought an ML7 frame with DUC fork and front wheel for £400 which I thought was a great price. The paint is a bit tatty but it's sound otherwise. I'd make sure you can get a test ride to make sure you get a frame that fits. I thought I'd be a medium but large was much better.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yes the fit was the only reason I didn't buy a frame – the shop couldn't offer a test ride & with the seat post angle its much more critical

firestarter
    Free Member

i nearly bought one when i bought my turner but i was a little short of cash at the time so went for the five spot but still would like one of these

firestarter
    Free Member

btw becker how tall are you mate as sizing was a bit funny iirc what size are you sheldon oh and cheers for that yesterday mate

solarider
    Free Member

I can definitely recommend them. I have a Seven Duo, which uses the Maverick system. The best xc/ascending suspension system by far. Very little bob, great seated comliance, and very few pivots/bearings to worry about. Sideways are great for servicing, as are Mojo, and the customer support directly from Maverick in the US is first rate. Probably not the best downhill system though, but it depends on your needs. Far less bob than 4 bar, VPP or DW.

The seatpost angle is a bit slack, but most seatposts can cope (particularly Thomson, or the Speedball dropper). Not the prettiest bike, but very compact, agile and at least you won't see many out there. Shame really as they are great.

A change of distributor did flood the market with cheap frames, and if you can grab one of those, then even better. It has knocked the 2nd hand market a bit unfortunately, but who buys a bike for the second hand value? Buy it, useit, love it and at the end of its life you get a bit of cash back. In reality the deflation isn't that bad.

hicksville
    Free Member

Great bikes overlooked and misrepresented by the nay sayers…………..ML8 woulld be my choice only a 1lb or so heavier but far superior climber, and 6.5 travel. ML7.5 is great my old weighed in at 28lbs with pikes and hope xc wheels and slx kit. As siad the market has fallen away, but still a class bike, ML8 great trail centre bike or all day in big hills/moutains not a freeride jump off 8ft walls.

alias
    Free Member

Im still riding a 2005 ML7….great bike. BTW Solarider my DW turner doesn't bob 🙂

beaker

Firestarter- I'm a tad under 6'0 (182cm) and riding a large ML7. I'd tried mediums and I felt like my hips and legs were pedaling forward rather than down. Sounds odd I know but it wasn't right. I was told large would be fine and took a bit of a leap of faith. Can't recommend an ML7 enough….

rootes1

always thought these looked good, but don't seem very popular?

solarider
    Free Member

I think the looks and seat angle put people off.

Also, the bb does move relative to the saddle, which reminds people of the old YBB design. In reality you never feel it happening.

You always get the same response to threads about Maverick (and to an extent any bike). Those who ride them love them, and those who don't, don't.

I have owned a 4 bar Turner, a DW Turner, a single Pivot Cannondale, a single pivot Santa Cruz, a VPP Santa Cruz and currently also own a VPP Intense. For XC, none of them come close to the Maverick, but downhill and over large obstacles where you might be out of the saddle, the suspension can push your weight forwards. It really is horses for courses.

sofaking
    Free Member

i have an ML8 and have done plenty of 100k enduro's on it and i have felt better at the end on the ml8 than on any of my other bikes.

taka
    Free Member

cheers for the responses soods good to me just need to rake the cash together now 😥

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers becker would be a med for me i reckon. I think it was a mate of sheldons i was hoping to buy for but as i only need a regular frame or a maverick frame forks and front wheel it took it out of reach at the time. Still niggles lol might have to scratch the itch sometime 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rate Maverick ML8's or ML7/5's? as an all day bike?’ is closed to new replies.