Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Anyone racing cross this weekend?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

There seemed to be a lot of guys having a go for the first time last Sunday, just wondering if any of ya are out again this weekend.
    I'll be at Hemel Hempstead and praying for rain to soften the ground after last weekends flat fast bumpfest.
    Good luck anyway.

dobo
    Free Member

Think theres a cx race at newbury which i'm tempted with but im going to a party on saturday so realistically have no chance of getting up in time and be fit to race at mid day on my mtb…

Anyone done newbury, whats the course like then?

ourmaninthenorth

First race: Sports City Velo, Clayton, Manchester – NW league.

I'll be on my MTB, and am soooo unfit right now. I will die a thousand deaths for every minute of that hour. Still, ought to be fun…

kukuruza
    Free Member

Hemel Hempstead and praying concerning a rain, would not refuse to stay with you nearby!

Coleman
    Free Member

We,ve got a week off this weekend in the Sram Notts /Derby league as there is a National Trophy Race on so we are going for a weekend thrash in the Peaks.
    So to all you guys racing – Have a good un!

marty
    Free Member

not racing this weekend, but putting in some prep for the 2nd round of the Scottish series at Auchentoshan next weekend.

http://www.scottishcyclocross.org.uk/

kukuruza
    Free Member

Think theres a cx race at newbury which i'm tempted with but im going to a party on saturday so realistically have no chance of getting up in time and be fit to race at mid day on my mtb

simondbarnes

ourmaninthenorth – Member

First race: Sports City Velo, Clayton, Manchester – NW league.

I would have done this but it's on Saturday which means I'm working 🙁

dobo
    Free Member

kukuruza – you quoted me, did you forget the reply? 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

"First race: Sports City Velo, Clayton, Manchester – NW league. "
    I'll be there…first outing for the new cx bike.I'll be the beardy one spinning like a loon (ss) unless my 16t freewheel turns up…in which case I'll be breathing through me arse.
    ourmaninthenorth-giz a wave!

BruceK
    Free Member

unfortunately not, as SW league race in Weston SM cancelled. 🙁 but took the crosser out today anyway and scared myself trying to do some normal routes round Ashton Court instead…makes me realise why fat tyres and suspension were invented 🙂
    Shall be racing next week tho in Bristol and trying to drag some some friends out to race too….come join us… 😈

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

as SW league race in Weston SM cancelled.

It was actually a Western League race, not South Western. Big difference 😉

It's been replaced with a race at Gloucester instead:

Gloucester Boating Lake
    A417 Over causeway
    Gloucester
    GL1 2TF

U12 10.30 free
    Youth 11.00 £4.00
    S,V,J,W 11.30 £10.00

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Oh, and about that race at Ashton Court on the 18th:

Spread the word. Mountainbikes welcome. You might even be better off on a mountainbike at this venue…

colnagokid

NECCL round3 at Eston, M'bro. Yes the world famous Eston Hills!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

dobo, think you may have a stalker there 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

[Hemel Hempstead and praying concerning a rain, would not refuse to stay with you nearby]

Kukuruza, he make no sense?

oldgit
    Free Member

El disastro!

Two novices went down if front of me just after the gun, why the commisaire put them ahead of club riders I don't know. When I got up and untangled my bike the field was well over 100 metres away. Also it had rendered my bike gearless. I chased and caught a fair few on one gear and adrenalin before blowing in a mix of tiredness and annoyance.
    Hopefully better luck next weekend in round 3.

swiss01
    Free Member

was supposed to be doing relentless but have been sitting on the couch coughing up lung butter instead. not happy!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Too skint for the rest of the month to be able to afford entry money. Intending on doing two of the SW series next month, in addition to the first round of the Soggy Bottom XC series.

Rorschach
    Free Member

First outing on the new (and my first) cx bike at clayton yesterday.Ummed and ahhed for ages about what gearing to run as I'm gonna stay ss (have you seen the price of gears these days!!!!),came to the conclusion that if you can go balls out for the practise lap and only spin out a bit you'll be fine for the last lap!Nearly managed to stay unlapped this time-still losing a lot of time off the start and having to pass loads of people in the latter stages (not helped by a lot of single track at clayton).Racing the next 4 weekends on the trot now!!

oldgit
    Free Member

We (MTB'ers) seem to have it over quite a few guys in the singletrack. While I was racing I sat on a wheel through the flat fields and shot off the front before each hilly woodland section, felt naughty, but it is a race after all.

aP
    Free Member

I'm just about to take my partner to A&E after she got brought down by someone and then the bottom half of the field rode over and into her at the Hemel race.

oldgit
    Free Member

ap
    Was she the blonde lady? Archer RC?? white and yellow???

The commisaire I believe made a silly decision, there were a few comments made about how it was like being at school getting picked for the football team, so he said alright line up there and don't get lapped! He was hadicapping the riders and put these folk directly behind last years winner. I heard a remark and thought I heard him say 'well they're hosting it.
    I saw the first person go down, then another I just had enough room to get by so stood up on my pedals trackstand style before someone fell against me.
    How is she.

oldgit
    Free Member

Silver crash helmet?

aP
    Free Member

Yes she was. She's got some nasty cuts where you'd prefer not to, will find out in a couple of hours. Two woman in front of her moved wide apart and she went into the gap before one of them chopped her.
    As far as gridding goes – it's still early in the season and the first Central League event didn't really count as lots of those riders weren't there today. It wasn't like early 90s Mtb races where there were usually a couple of fights just after the start.

oldgit
    Free Member

I was directly on her right on the grid, there were only half a dozen behind us. She might remember I had a cough and told her it was because I hadn't been smoking my usual brand! The 'down' was right on the gun and it was one of those awkward slow and heavy falls.
    I do remember feeling miffed that they had put us behind some guys on hybrids with slicks, GPS, saddlepacks the lot.
    I only did 20+ minutes after that.

aP
    Free Member

Ah. Oh well, there's always next week – although it might just be me, then it's my race the week after (gulp).

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah your race? in the pics it looks like you come off mud and grass slopes onto tarmac, looks sliptastic!

aP
    Free Member

Sliptastic? Don't you mean skilltastic 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah yeah that's what I mean 😕 MK has something similar there'salways a few grazed knees.

darrell
    Free Member

there are no cx events in Norway 😥

aP
    Free Member

Oh well, 5 stitches. Muscle relaxant being applied.

clubber
    Free Member

Thurman – where on the course is that climb in the pic. I can't place it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Jesus!
    Did she get looked after at the event?
    See that was a bad idea to put those riders there, even if he did make it very clear about leaving the grid in lines to avoid such things happening. They just seemed to veer off one left and one right, we didn't have much of a chance as they seemed to have cut off the whole width of the course with their Red Arrows impersonation.
    Hope she heals soon.

aP
    Free Member

So do I.
    We do the go home, go to A&E round the corner, go for muscle relaxant afterwrds rather than spending 3 or 4 hours somewhere else with bikes to be stolen.
    Let us know who your are next weekend and she'll offer mild encourgement to you.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah will do. Should have clicked it was you Hillingdon = Archer.
    I need encouragement, making the jump from ultra long events back to cross is tough.

And the Muppetry award of the day goes to me, because when I packed I looked at the bike only to notice that the off had put me in the 50T ring and I'd been racing all the time in it 😳

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Thurman – where on the course is that climb in the pic. I can't place it.

It's not. 😉 The more eagle-eyed Bristolians will spot that that's the climb at Purdown – not Ashton Court 😀

The *even MORE* eagle-eyed amongst you will by now have spotted the 'PhotoShop Disaster' that is the half-tyre floating in mid-air below "18th" which was only brought to my attention this PM…

clubber
    Free Member

That makes sense. I know AC pretty well and was struggling to place it…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Anyone racing cross this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.