Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Anyone putting their heating on yet?
  • Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Nope, not switched ours back on yet.

We never turn it off? You just set the stat in each room to the temp you want it to be & if it’s colder than that it comes on & if it’s warmer it doesn’t.
    Don’t really see what we’d achieve by turning it off.

Because the outside ambient temperature is generally pretty warm during the summer it doesn’t matter if the temp dips below 18 or 19 degrees. If we left the “heating” on and relied on the thermostats then there is a possibility that the boiler would kick in. I don’t need or want that during eh summer months. So, to prevent it happening just switch the heating part of our condensing boiler off. 🙂

richmars

We turn our oil fueled heating off over the summer, and use an electric immersion heater for heat water. It’s cheaper.

totalshell

from a professional point of view its clear that the majority certainly have not yet gone back to the heating.. just as a head up though take the opportunity of the warm spell to bleed the rads make sure everythings tickty boo pumps valves etc cos when folks do turn on the heating our phones go MENTAL with breakdowns so sort any issues now before the mad rush..

on the other hand was called 6 times to a dire emergancy on saturday as the heating wouldnt come at a house.. got there and she was right it wont come on.. because .. it was 30 degrees in the hall ….

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The mother in law who’s got a cold and has not an ounce of fat on her is stopping at ours for the moment until she’s better.

It’s like a bloody furnace in here 24/7 atm.

cudubh

Well, ours is on morning and night at the moment. The stat is set for about 18 and it kicks on most days at the moment. To be fair it is probably well above that point during the day when I am home on my own.

mudshark
    Free Member

The mother in law who’s got a cold and has not an ounce of fat on her is stopping at ours for the moment until she’s better.

You’re a lot more accommodating than I am!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I haven’t shut the window to signify the end of summer yet.

ourmaninthenorth

Just got home. Mine’s on.

Blinking Nest thermostat trying to be clever. Just turned it down (off).

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s often below the 18 or so our themostat is set to in the summer months in our hallway, but it’s tolerable because as above, if it’s warm outside this is less of an issue somehow – you know it’s gong to get warm enough later.

If I know it’s going to be 20 degrees by 11am, I don’t need heating to make it 20 degrees at 9am. That’s why it gets turned off.

Smudger666

I’m gamely hanging off this last fortnight – we had a couple,of nights in September when it was single digit temps so it has been on, but hanging off till Thursday when we head off for two weeks of sun.

Might have to put it in for an hour while we are away so It isn’t chilled when we get back.

footflaps

Not switched ours on yet, will hopefully hold off for a few weeks more. Still warm enough in shorts and T shirt in the evenings / mornings in the house at the moment.

totalshell

top tip.. when you is going to gstad for your winter break DO NOT switch the boiler off at the mains.. most common combis will circulate the heating if the temp drops to 8c and fire up when temp drops to 5c. those that dont will freeze.. i ve seen two in the last three years who after thier sojurn came home to a frozen and busted boiler..

johndoh
    Free Member

Heating never comes on until (at least) October in our house. Still enjoying the last bits of summer here and refusing to accept it’s getting colder at all.

vondally
    Free Member

this becomes a ‘heat’ race well more a cold race between myself and my partner…..each year since she said no need to put the heating on till October……………

we have tried to out do each other …………..

I have sat in full winter down coat thermals ski pants not ot put the heating on to outlast her

so far 28th dec is the latest

so this year is still mild

Russell96

Sod the switching the heating on, it’s how long you leave the windows open 24 hours a day. The heating is something left for ages after that.

bigG
    Free Member

whenever my Mrs suggests she’s cold and needs it on I suggest she does some topless star jumps instead to warm herself up. Usually at that point she stops moaning about the cold.

The heating goes on when the little ones rooms become overly cold.

Like a number of folk have said, we’re having a mini heatwave here. French doors and windows have been open all day and the house is still roasting. I’ll still be sticking extra insulation in the loft though, soon as B&Q have their cheap deal on.

spooky_b329

BigG, I’ve been waiting 18 months for the cheap deals to come back but no luck, but British Gas surveying my loft this week for free insulation. Which is good as it’s insulated to about 50mm across 2/3rds, then I lifted the centre boarded section and there is nothing at all under the rest! I’m in a bungalow so the loft area is double that of a house as well so it should make a huge difference.

Apparently to qualify the house just needs to be suitable now, no eligibility for benefits etc.

Drac

No chance, I had the aircon on in my little car at work all day yesterday. All windows are open upstairs at home pretty much have been since May. Mind at work last week it pretty cool at about 6am almost a ground frost but soon warmed up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Getting colder on Sunday/Monday. I supect the pressure will be on for the stove to be lit, which isn’t a bad thing but once it’s been lit it has to be on every night!

Drac

Yesterday was Monday and it was really warm.

Wakka wakka wakka!

trail_rat
    Free Member

and the sleeping giant has been awoken.

the -3 outside forced the temp inside down to 15 degrees this morning at 4am so the heating kicked in for about 20 minutes to bring it back up to 17 for waking time.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yesterday was Monday and it was really warm.

Yep… shows how crap the forecasts are (obviously some parts of the UK are warmer than others)!
    Living room still 19 degs in the evening so the heating and stoves are still dormant 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

our heating has been coming on for an hour every morning since the start of september, but that’s only to warm the house up in the morning.

last night the temp reading in the bedrooms was 21 degrees!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“last night the temp reading in the bedrooms was 21 degrees!!”

you have to ask your self where did that heat go during the night between the start of sept and now as the delta T for most of the country hasnt been that large yet. – admittedly last night it was much greater than of late – its been about 8-10degrees most of september then last night it was about 22degrees so im not surprised i lost 4 degrees internal temperature.

insulation makes a hellovadifference.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m was out in the garden reading/drinking at 9pm last night. I’ve set and locked the thermostat at 17deg for next winter so I expect we’ll just start wearing jumpers inside when it gets chilly but a the moment it’s lovely out.

johndoh
    Free Member

Heating now on.

(Is ashamed)

cinnamon_girl

Went on last night after having several nights of waking up at silly o’clock with a cold head. 😐

matt_outandabout

Same here – yesterdays frosty start prompted it in our house. 😐

moshimonster
    Free Member

Yep, had loads of arguments with the missus over it!

lunge

Still off here, though the battle has begun.
    “It’s really cold”
    “put a jumper on then”
    “But the bed is cold”
    “I can think of a way of warming it up…”
    “OK, it’s not that cold actually”

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, I was sat last night in my teeshirt as I was too hot in the jumper I had been wearing up until now.

😥

scandal42
    Free Member

had a test run yesterday to make sure everything is running as it should, obviously did this whilst the good lady was out of the house to avoid any further complications.

I enjoyed the brief blast of toasty warm heat, she had no idea.

I reckon November for 1st real usage is not out of the question at the moment, which is ace.

lemonysam
    Free Member

We’ve just got back from a lovely warm holiday and it was 6 degrees on the first morning back. The heating went on pretty sharpish.

doris5000

it hadn’t been until i went out last night. came home and the flat was baking. the heating had been on ‘just for half an hour or so’. Hmmm.

kcal

Heating been on at weekend and since. Barring Saturday when the thermo and the receiver wouldn’t talk and had to be fixed.

Garden office – stove on for first time this year. Toasty!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Due a test run soon and no doubt all radiators will need bleeding. Luckily with the 8 snakes, Bosc Monitor Lizard, bearded Dragon and Green iguana their heat keeps the front room toasty warm so far. Snakes are set at 32 Celsius on a thermostat.

Bedroom gets cold in winter but its roasting in the summer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

our heating has been kicking in intermittently in the mornings all week but the solar gain once the sun comes up keeps it off in the evening.

have lit teh stove earlier in the week to burn off the “New stove new sealant” fumes.

emsz
    Free Member

House is set at 15 degrees and came on last night. I was say on the lounge wondering what the noise was, it was the boiler rumbling away!!

Still filled hot water bottle for bed though, brrrrrrrrrrr

johndoh
    Free Member

So – what temperature do you set heating at?

20deg in the morning (for an hour whilst the kids get dressed, 19deg in the late afternoon/evening here….

Daytime/nighttime set at 14deg in case it gets really cold but I don’t think that kicks in very much.

Stoner
    Free Member

20deg in the morning, 19 at night here….

‘kin ell!

18deg in evenings, 16 during day, 14 set back at night.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Anyone putting their heating on yet?’ is closed to new replies.